Wondering if I've cracked it.....

yiannis_

I started an exercise and clean eating program back in August at 144.9kg , I'm only 5ft 9! Hba1c was 89 in June.
In October I saw something on the BBC about the Newcastle diet and started it on November 1st at 127.7kg with hba1c of 59 at end of October. I stopped metformin.
At the end of December the hba1c was 39 and weight 114kg. I had a piece of Christmas cake though and glucose went to 9.8 a couple of hours later.
Now at 105kg I had a bit of a sugar fest yesterday, taking in over 250gm of sugar over the evening. I didn't test glucose until 0600 today and was shocked that it was only 5.9 , now wondering if I may have reversed diabetes?
I still need to lose another 10-15kg so will be continuing with the diet anyway.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that we will always have the tendency to be diabetic, but by reducing the amount of reserves stored in our organs or cells - wherever - then it allows insulin to do its job and keep BG levels lower - so the very occasional input of sugar - even 250gm in an evening doesn't have as much impact.
However - I suspect it is rather like bailing out a boat - full blown diabetics are bailing out with a spoon and make hardly any progress against the incoming flow - restricted diets replace the spoon with a cup or even a pint mug, but to be able to really cope a big bucket is required. I don't think many of us get the big bucket.

yiannis_

Professor Taylor at Newcastle thinks we all have a personal fat threshold and I'm wondering if I've just dipped below mine. I'm going to drop another few kg over the next few weeks and then do a glucose tolerance test.