Being taken off pump

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am slightly confused and bit concerned that I am being taken off my pump. Long story short - I was put on a pump in Amsterdam where I used to live to obtain better HbA1c results. I have been on it since July last year. I am now 10 weeks pregnant and the doctor's in the UK have been giving me better traiing on how to use the pump. Hwoever after three training sessions and good blood test results almost all within pregnancy targets, they are taking me off the pump and putting me back on insulin injections.

I am not happy with this bearing in mind that my blood test results were good and getting better all the time. Has anyone else got experience of this? Surely my control, which has been so much better on the pump, will go to pot again now I have to re-start figuring out my injections again?

What can I do to make my doctor change her mind?

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for replying - she is taking me off the pump as a safety issue as she thinks I can't work it properly. However I have had extra training over the past week or so and now I'm using the bolus wizard and counting carbs quite accurately so I can't see why this would affect my pregnancy in a bad way? I know she is protecting her own back but I just don't see why messing with my diabetes treatment again will benefit me.

The pump is mine and I get supplies through my employer at the minute which is good. She can't stop that so I was half thinking that I could stay on the pump without my doc knowing.

Who is INPUT?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wouldn't do anything behind the doctor's back, I'd get another doctor.
Hana

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK I have just bought the book Pumping Insulin from Amazon and I have spoken with my nurse who said she was surprised the doc had taken me off my pump. She is going to speak to another doc for me to get me my second opinion. Thanks everyone x

Nikki Wallis

Hiya,

John Walshes book "pumping insulin" is superb
Gary Scheiners books e.g. "think like a pancreas" are also brilliant. Gary is a CDE in USA, and also a Type 1.
INPUT - yes, make contact with John Hughes at INPUT (ex Disetronic UK)

Ive been on an insulin pump for 8yrs or so now, and wouldnt want to change it.
Hb's routinely below 7, leading a very unpredictable life - that is very good.

On the spot basal ajustments are the essence for me.

Nikki
[Removed link]

kasiak

This sounds really weird as in my hospital if someone is pregnant they rush you onto the pump... get a second opinion!!!!

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
kasiak said:
This sounds really weird as in my hospital if someone is pregnant they rush you onto the pump... get a second opinion!!!!

My doc is saying that it is a saety issue as I can go into DKA so much quicker on the pump than i could on insulin injections. I have told a few fibs to her and told her I ahave come off the pump as the DSN didn't get my second opinion. I am contacting INPUT about this to ask their thoughts on it and also speaking to Medtronic - who I know only have an interest in keeping me on the pump but they have been quite helpful.

Thank you all for your help and support in this - i really appreciate it

sugar2

Hi Daisy,

Well, in blunt terms, your Dr is right about the DKA, but obviously thinks that you are not responsible enough to cope with your diabetes. I would explain that you are still on your pump, have no plans to come off it, and demand that they help you with your pregnancy. You will probably get a lecture, but the Dr does have to help you!
Make sure that you have some keto testing sticks (I have teh unrine ones..nice!) and keep watching your blood sugar like a hawk. Frankly, I wouldn't bother changing Dr, just make the best of the one I had.

Another thing to note, is that some Drs will try and take you off any insulin that has not been tested on pregnant women. I chose to stay on my levimir, even though it hadn't been tested, as I belived that I understood the risks etc and teh Dr supported this decion...but it was MY decision.

Hope pregnancy is treating you well!

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have been diabetic for 23 years and am pretty intelligent and clued up when itcomes to my diabetes so though I did tell a lie to my doc, turns out I made the better decision. I had to stay on my pump as my insulin supplies for MDI STILL haven't come through from my employer due a mess up by the Healthcare company. Luckily I had a year's supply for insulin and infusion sets. Since then my HbA1c has come down gradually and is now 6.9% and I am now almost 20 weeks pregnant. My doc in the Uk has not once contacted me since I came back to my posting and doesn't seem to give two hoots. My doc at the maternity hospital in the combined diabetes/OBGYN clinic hasn't been in touch either so my clinical team at post have been supporting me and checking my 1c levels regularly.

I have now decided that even when my insulin supplies for MDI do turn up, I won't come off the pump. I will explain my decisions to my docs when I return to the UK to have my baby and will ensure that they are aware that it was my choice and in no way are they to be held responsible for anything that may go wrong. Medtronic have also agreed to continue to supply my employer with everything as they think my doc was wrong and they had a second opinion from my clinical team at post.

I know some of you think I am being silly but this is definitely the right decision for me and my baby. Fab blood results only goes to prove that I was right all along!

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
I'm guessing the dr wanting to take you off the pump is your obs and not an endocrinology dr?

In my experience, since the pump in the UK is not a new thing, but rather a more rarety than in the US, a lot of Dr's are afraid of it and don't know what to do when things go wrong. I wasn't impressed at all my when I had to call my GP out and he was talking about taking me off my pump too. I have no idea why.
It's true that DKA can happen much quicker on a pump. But if your bloods are coming back okay and you're counting your ratio's correctly, then I dont see a problem.

I second the advice to go get another dr. You are perfectly within your right to disagree with a Dr's clinical decision and ask for a second opinion. You just need to be strong and stand up for yourself. I know we like to think that our dr's know best, but unfortunately, this isn't always the case and in some situations we, as patients, need to take a stand.

Good luck! When are you due?

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Angelicious, it was my endo doc who wanted me off the pump. She has a bee in her bonnet about me not getting the correct training when I was put on the pump and she hates the fact that I was given a pump for reasons that she doesn't agree with - though why bringing down an HbA1c is being a bad thing then I don't know. I guess she hates having to stick to NICE guidelines when other european countries can supply pumps to people who are willing to give them a try.

I am due on the 1st October but as us diabetics aren't allowed to go past 38 weeks then baby should be here by the 17th September. It can't come quick enough!