AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi
Newly diagnosed and concerned about cost of testing. So far as I can tell, I need a monitor, lancets and strips and the ones that I have identified so far are:

GlucoRx Nexus Blood Glucose Meter @ £16.94
GlucoRX Lancets x 200 @ £11.98
GlucoRx Nexus Test Strips x 50 @ £15.49

Apart from the meter (one-off) and assuming that I carry out 4 to 6 tests per day (pre and post food), I reckon this is going to cost something like £60 to £70 per month. So, I would appreciate advice on whether or not I have this broadly correct in terms of cost and whether the Gluco RX products are OK

Note: I have read the threads on free strips etc on prescription but I have no idea (and little confidence) that I would qualify through my GP.

For info, I was diagnosed on 6 Feb but my doctor did not really tell me anything about my levels or what to do .. all I have is a few further tests over the coming weeks and an appointment with the dietician but this is not until 23 March.
Thanks ...

M

mist

You might have some luck on eBay. I bought a bunch of strips, 200 I think it was for like £5 or there abouts..

Ebbie56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed in November 2016 and was given a Gluco RX Nexus machine from my doctor. I have to buy the strips and lancets. As you say they are quite expensive. I test four times a day. For me, I know it's expensive but at the moment, I am finding the money to buy the strips and lancets. My doctor did say there is somewhere to buy them where I do not have to pay the VAT but I am not sure where this is!

Ebbie56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also, I was offered a month long course through the NHS, two hours every week for Type 2 diabetes which was really informative.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you can see how you react to various foods you can stop testing. In three months I have used just about 100 strips, as once I checked on the foods I knew stopped weightloss and found that there was a 100% correlation between them and high blood sugar, I could eliminate them, then I did not need to test after lunch as I eat the same sort of thing each day - salad with some sort of protein, and then it was just a matter of testing after dinner to see what was what there. Now I usually test two hours after dinner to see if I should eat some berries and cream or not, or if I should resist the siren call of the grapes.
Type twos aren't juggling with injections, and usually don't need to be concerned about hypos, so constant testing isn't essential.

Reactions: KezG

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may also find you don't need so many lancets. Most of us use them over and over, despite what it says on the instructions.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Thanks to all for advice .. I have now ordered the SD Codefree kit plus a pack of strips and lancets. Particularly grateful for the advice from @Resurgam and @Bluetit1802 about sensible savings and ways of cutting down on the amount of testing necessary after I have established my "OK foods list"

No sig yet because I have not got a clue about my readings or levels. Currently trying to make sense of and register with the on-line medical records database where, I believe, I will be able to find myself :) .. I'll let you know

Reactions: Alison Campbell