Constipation

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I had this problem too. Drink more liquid and eating small amount of unsalted nuts also worked.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Psyillium is just too expensive. It's £17 in the shops. I cannot afford that
Blimey - is that the gold-plated version? Try an Asian shop - a bit (LOTS) cheaper than £17......you can get it from £1.00 - £3.00 for 100g, even from Tesco or Asda.

Caveats:
1. ALWAYS take with lots of water - otherwise, it can worsen constipation, rather than easing it.
2. Psyllium has been known to affect uptake or efficacy of statins or drugs used to treat diabetes. It is therefore recommended that psyllium is not taken within a 2 hour window of medication consumption.

Last edited:

BoggyBimbleJr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Psyillium is just too expensive. It's £17 in the shops. I cannot afford that

500g at less than half that price at Amazon ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/BULK-POWDE...87357608&sr=8-2&keywords=psyllium+husk+powder )

Also, the blood problem depends on the colour. If it's bright red it's your haemorrhoids (everybody has them, even babies) and the blood is possibly from straining, though your doctor will put your mind at rest if you are worried. If it's darker like burgundy or black see your doctor urgently as it will be something VERY serious.

ghost_whistler

500g at less than half that price at Amazon ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/BULK-POWDE...87357608&sr=8-2&keywords=psyllium+husk+powder )

Also, the blood problem depends on the colour. If it's bright red it's your haemorrhoids (everybody has them, even babies) and the blood is possibly from straining, though your doctor will put your mind at rest if you are worried. If it's darker like burgundy or black see your doctor urgently as it will be something VERY serious.

How much do you use per day? That's still a lot of money for me, as it's on top of my food budget

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've had some great suggestions.
Drinking much more.
Eating more fibrous veg (much better fibre quality than in grains)
Psyllium husks (and you asked how much. Start off with a teasp a day in a big glass of water. Then drink another glass immediately afterwards)

To be honest though, from what you have said about the size of your veg portions in the past, increasing them could make a world of difference.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with others on here - more water, kale or other cabbagey stuff, BUT... I would also say there's nothing like using our wonderful (if struggling) NHS to get yourself tested to put your mind at rest. I admit I am paranoid about pooing. I have to be regular - same time daily - or I begin to panic, but that's because my dad (also type 2) had bowel cancer. His first signs were constipation, which he ignored for some time. Everything turned out fine after part of his intestines were safely removed - but it all means I'd always get it checked out.

Reactions: Brunneria
M

mist

I agree with others on here - more water, kale or other cabbagey stuff, BUT... I would also say there's nothing like using our wonderful (if struggling) NHS to get yourself tested to put your mind at rest. I admit I am paranoid about pooing. I have to be regular - same time daily - or I begin to panic, but that's because my dad (also type 2) had bowel cancer. His first signs were constipation, which he ignored for some time. Everything turned out fine after part of his intestines were safely removed - but it all means I'd always get it checked out.

I feed Kale to my guinea pigs and they poop A LOT! :D

Reactions: jonbvn

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_1248.PNG
Try these x

Reactions: ghost_whistler

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw that in the chemists but wasn't sure if it was low carb no sugar friendly.

Well, a quick look at the box would have shown you it contains a sweetener. Theres no need to worry about carbs in medicinal products, and the amount you take is tiny.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I do eat a lot of brazil nuts.

I think it's a lack of fibre. I used to eat a lot of fibre in whole grains/bread. Obviously that has been curtailed.
I love brazil nuts, but have read they can cause selenium toxicity if we eat too many so limit myself to 2 or 3 at a time :( You can have too much of a good thing apparently.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another option is a couple of tablespoons of desiccated coconut in yoghurt. It is quite cheap.
That explains something this morning after my coconut flour disaster of yesterday! ;)