RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Warning Rant Ahead

I could shot the bloody diabetes nurse. apparently, I'm doing everything wrong, she basically just sat there and sprouted the desmonds material at me verbatim. she answered none of the questions I needed answered, and yeah, I'm still fuming even after the fact that the appointment was this morning.

all I wanted to know is how my diabetes is going to effect my healing time after my surgery at the end of March. I've got to have open release surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome - everyone's saying it's going to effect it but no one seems able to tell me how long it will add to the healing time etc.

but yeah, apparently my weights gone, up and my Bmi has gone up but everything else including my blood pressure has gone down. this despite the fact that I've lost 3 stone over the past 12 months, and am starting to replace fat with muscle but no, my exercise and weight aren't good enough.

then she started in on my diet apparently I HAVE to eat Carbs, I pointed out that there's no RDA for Carbs and I was on the LCHF diet (Low Carbs High Fat). according to her, I have to, eat Carbs as they are where we get out energy from.

To say after leaving I was fuming was an understatement if I had been doing something wrong I could understand it but being talked to like I'm a five-year-old when I'm 45 is something that's just not on.

Which is a pity because up until now the gp's surgery has been one of the best I've ever been to.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally sympathise with you. My DN is pleased with my results but absolutely doesn't want to know how I do it. They are just quoting NHS guidelines and even if they know better dare not say so.
My results have been good for a while now and I was told at the last visit I need only be seen yearly.. which suits me fine.
Just let it go over your head, smile and nod .. and then do what works for you anyway.
If you do have questions you want answering, would it be a good idea to jot them down and then hand it to her ? Just thinking, she might have to shut up a bit if she's answering ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same thing - just take a deep breath and let it out slowly.
I have not noticed being slow to heal, and I have been watching very carefully over the last few months, as I am always getting small damage to various bits of me - but my blood glucose has been under control, with an average of about 8 testing before and after meals - so diabetes isn't automatically going to make everyone slow to heal.
I suggest that you write to your GP and put the questions to him, but I wouldn't make too much of the nurse's failings. I think it is going to take a lot to get rid of such entrenched opinion.
If your blood glucose readings are reasonable then you've done your best to get yourself ready for your operation. If you need to contact the hospital about the operation beforehand you might mention your diabetes then and perhaps the surgical team will be more knowledgeable - even if your GP is reassuring - they will have dealt with diabetics before, I am sure.

Reactions: Prem51

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
After my HbA1C came in at 31, I went to see my practice's diabetic nurse who said how wonderful it was. However, she had never heard of the LCHF diet (she said) but agreed to drop my Metformin from 1000mg to 500mg/day. I just kept quiet.
I saw my GP about a week later. He was also very pleased, but said that carbs were definitely the things to target. He also agreed to take me off both Metformin and Atorvastatin completely.
So, the same practice, different views. I wouldn't bother arguing, but it's good to know this before you go to the surgery, as it is very annoying when you're not expecting it!

Last edited:

dipsydo

Sorry that the nurse did not answer your question . I know everyone is different so I am not sure if my experience will help ou or not. My experience is that as long as your BS is under control then you hopefully will heal like "normal" people. I had normal Blood sugars when I had my replacement hip operation in August and healed normally - if anything quicker than I had some 7 years ago when I did not have any sugar issues . Also I found Bio Oil was to reduce the scarring on the skin , I only used after the scar had dried and the surgeon/ said it is OK to use.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After my HbA1C came in at 31, I went to see my practice's diabetic nurse who said how wonderful it was. However, she had never heard of the LCHF diet (she said) but agreed to drop my Metformin from 1000mcg to 500mcg/day. I just kept quiet.
I saw my GP about a week later. He was also very pleased, but said that carbs were definitely the things to target. He also agreed to take me off both Metformin and Atorvastatin completely.
So, the same practice, different views. I wouldn't bother arguing, but it's good to know this before you go to the surgery, as it is very annoying when you're not expecting it!

That was the other thing she decided off her own back that she was upping my metaformin from 2 500mg tablets a day to two 1 gram tablets a day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yup - my DN is exactly the same.

If you don't want to take the extra metformin then don't take it. I know most people like to clear things with doctors or DNs first but I took myself off of injecting insulin and another diabetes drug called sitagliptin without talking to them and told them about six months later when I was cross questioned why I hadn't been ordering them on my repeat prescription. When the nurse was just about to go off on one I just mentioned that it was my body and I prefer to deal with my diabetes in a way that suits me. LCHF works - their meds make me feel old, fat and ill and don't necessarily work. As our American friends would say, its a 'no brainer'.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear your DN has that attitude. My DN said I was their star patient, everone else with T2 diabetes got worse. She didn't ask how I had lowered my bs, and I didn't volunteer the information. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Incidentally I went for an aorta scan yesterday. The technician/nurse who took the scan said it was the healthiest aorta he had seen and asked what I did to keep healthy. I told him I had been diagnosed as T2 diabetic and had lowered my HbA1c to non-diabetic levels by diet and exercise. He said his father is T2 and it is carbohydrates I had to avoid - so not all HCPs are blinkered by NHS guidelines.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm seeing DN on Wednesday, haven't seen this one since I was diagnosed and follow-up appointment. This is the one that told me that LCHF was dangerous and I must have carbs. See what she says about my weight - 8st 11lbs and HbA1c of 41 but I know she will go on about my BP, which is raised as is cholesterol but that is because of my thyroid. I might be coming on to have a rant of my own.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not quite the same, but my 60lb (27kg) weight loss has resulted in no more need for asthma inhalers. When I saw my asthma HCP, she asked how I'd lost so much weight in so short a time and when I said 'low carb, high fat', she visibly blanched. When I hurriedly added 'oh, healthy fats', she seemed happier.

I didn't explain that, in my view, healthy fats include butter, cream, full fat yogurt, and all that lovely stuff on a really well marbled bit of rib-eye. ;)

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry that happened. It's hard not to take her words to heart when you know this lifestyle works for you.

Let's talk surgery. :) It's true that you should heal with optimum results if your blood sugar is in normal range. However, since surgery itself can create an inflammatory response in the body, diabetics can also see a rise in their blood sugar levels post-operatively. It should only be temporary, though. Your surgeon should monitor this and plan your care accordingly.

Stick to your current meal plans and take walks until you feel up to exercising again. I know the surgery only affects your hand, but still take it easy until you feel ready.

Best of luck to you!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do remember to plan for your meals while you are in hospital even if you are there as a day patient. The last time I was a day patient I was given tuna and cucumber sandwich on white bread, a pack of biscuits and cup of really revolting tea.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As the saying goes don't get mad get even. On my last visit to the DN she asked how I had managed to lose so much weight. I just said plenty of exercise and healthy eating, given her aversion to low carbing. Now I just let my test results do the talking - Hba1c down by 50%+!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Having diabetes will add some time to the healing process and taking insulin will add more time to it, if you are taking it. How much, well, it depends on the individual. I know that doesn't exactly help much, but that's just how it is. Some people heal quicker then others It's a bit hard to say how many days it will take to heal completely, but the better you keep your BG level controlled, the quicker you will heal.

Your DN has been taught the same rubbish most have been. Don''t dwell on the blind ignorance of the system. Use it to your advantage to do better, use it to motivate yourself to continue to make the positive progress you have been making.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do remember to plan for your meals while you are in hospital even if you are there as a day patient. The last time I was a day patient I was given tuna and cucumber sandwich on white bread, a pack of biscuits and cup of really revolting tea.

Luckily I live a 5-minute walk from the hospital literally according to google maps it's 0.2 of a mile also it's a quick operation should be done under a local and will only take 15 minutes. I'm not concerned over the operation it's self to be honest its the fact that the operation is being done on my right hand and I'm right-handed that and the fact that no one can tell me how long it's going to take to heal properly. I've been told everything from 3 days to 3 months so operation wise its more frustration than anything else.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As the saying goes don't get mad get even. On my last visit to the DN she asked how I had managed to lose so much weight. I just said plenty of exercise and healthy eating, given her aversion to low carbing. Now I just let my test results do the talking - Hba1c down by 50%+!

unfortunately, my hba1c went from 54 to 68 so I can't let my results do the talking but I'm putting that down to the fact that we've just had Xmas, the stress of the upcoming operation and general day to day life.

the annoyance at the diabetics nurse I'm putting down to the fact that she was not listening to me and was a condescending -insert your favourite insult here- who didn't listen to a word I said hell I even gave her the food diet sheet that they had me fill out for a week her response 'you eat a very brown diet and I don't recommend you have a high-fat diet'. I've decided to just ignore her until next time and take the gf down with me lol once she starts on my diet the Gf will start on her as she does all the cooking and has made it her life's work to make sure I'm around for her to torment and torture for as long as possible so a healthy diet she cooks lol.

Reactions: geefull and Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Luckily I live a 5-minute walk from the hospital literally according to google maps it's 0.2 of a mile also it's a quick operation should be done under a local and will only take 15 minutes. I'm not concerned over the operation it's self to be honest its the fact that the operation is being done on my right hand and I'm right-handed that and the fact that no one can tell me how long it's going to take to heal properly. I've been told everything from 3 days to 3 months so operation wise its more frustration than anything else.
I think, then, that I would assume it will take three months - and any shorter healing time than that will be a bonus.

unfortunately, my hba1c went from 54 to 68 so I can't let my results do the talking but I'm putting that down to the fact that we've just had Xmas, the stress of the upcoming operation and general day to day life.

the annoyance at the diabetics nurse I'm putting down to the fact that she was not listening to me and was a condescending -insert your favourite insult here- who didn't listen to a word I said hell I even gave her the food diet sheet that they had me fill out for a week her response 'you eat a very brown diet and I don't recommend you have a high-fat diet'. I've decided to just ignore her until next time and take the gf down with me lol once she starts on my diet the Gf will start on her as she does all the cooking and has made it her life's work to make sure I'm around for her to torment and torture for as long as possible so a healthy diet she cooks lol.

If you are on a low carb high fat diet it is unlikely you will get a positive response from the diabetics nurse. The best I have had out of mine is a 'Hmmmm' - at least that was better than the ticking off I had the first time I mentioned it and that time her and I had 'words'. Her role is to support me in any way that I choose to control my diabetes not to treat me like a toddler and micromanage my condition.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you DSN sounds like mine .. they forget they are just people and put them selves so high on a pedestal they just cannot hear the destructive rubbish they are saying to us.