Type1 Girls... low BG during period ?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on my first day of period, my BG drops quite fast today, i need snacks every 1-2 hrs to keep my BG above 4, with these my BG is between the normal 4-6, after bfast, lunch it didnt go above 6 either. I feel shaky all day. I didnt experience this the last months, so im not sure what causes this shaking, it makes me feel sick. My doc said that during period BG goes up usually.. ? Anyone can tell me what could it be ?

Reactions: Freema

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, mine is between 4-6, in the normal range, sorry if i explained something wrong.

I dont know if quickly dropping BG is normal during period..?

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I go quite high a few weeks before and no amount of insulin will lower it, almost seems like I am completely resistent to insulin and then once I start I am back to normal BG levels, however the cravings start kicking in at that point (loads of sweet stuff) so then I am fighting that!

Reactions: miszu and Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get periods anymore but I do still get hormone swings. For a few days insulin acts like water and then a few days after that insulin works too well
I know when it's hormone time because I get a thick blonde hair next to my chin, I get insomnia for 2-3 days, I crave weird food and I don't poop!!!! Lol. So when the perfect storm hits I just ride it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: neels and miszu

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lol.
I did notice yesterday and the day before my BG was a bit high, but now that my BG seems normal i dont understand why i get all this shaking...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
lol.
I did notice yesterday and the day before my BG was a bit high, but now that my BG seems normal i dont understand why i get all this shaking...
blame it on hormones!!! I blame everything on hormones lol.

Seriously though, I have no clue. I get shaky sometimes too even when ba is good and in range but still fluctuating. It doesn't take much fluctuation for me to be symptomatic

Reactions: miszu

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't get periods anymore but I do still get hormone swings. For a few days insulin acts like water and then a few days after that insulin works too well
I know when it's hormone time because I get a thick blonde hair next to my chin, I get insomnia for 2-3 days, I crave weird food and I don't poop!!!! Lol. So when the perfect storm hits I just ride it out.

lol That sounds familiar - too familiar infact (apart from the blonde hair bit, I am a brunette)... hmmm

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
lol That sounds familiar - too familiar infact (apart from the blonde hair bit, I am a brunette)... hmmm
It's like a thick blonde horse hair and literally pops up over night. When I'm feeling hormonal I check my chin for validation. Lol. If it's there I'm allowed some dark choco dipped in nut butter. Lol. If it's not there I eat it anyway.

I thought this was all supposed to go away after menopause. It didn't. Now I just can never be sure if it's hormones or not. I just blame them anyway.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is a hormone when you have other hormones floating around it will impact on your insulin sensitivity.

I know when I'm ovulating because my bg will be erratic.

Pre-menstrually I normal run higher, need a higher basal and higher ratio. On the first day of my period my levels drop like a stone. But it can't be guaranteed to do the same thing every month.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for ur replies ! i was a bit worried but seems its normal then. :)

Reactions: azure

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is a hormone when you have other hormones floating around it will impact on your insulin sensitivity.

I know when I'm ovulating because my bg will be erratic.

Pre-menstrually I normal run higher, need a higher basal and higher ratio. On the first day of my period my levels drop like a stone. But it can't be guaranteed to do the same thing every month.
EXACTLY. NO rhyme or reason just guessing and being conservative along the way. One day is one way, then it's the opposite!!

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been having the opposite effect, my sugars rise more during my period and level out afterwards. The hormonal changes definitely mess with our sugars one way or the other though, the ones with perfect reliable values are as rare as unicorns lol.

M

mist

I've been having the opposite effect, my sugars rise more during my period and level out afterwards. The hormonal changes definitely mess with our sugars one way or the other though, the ones with perfect reliable values are as rare as unicorns lol.

Unicorns are not rare though, they just live deep in the ocean, primarily in the Indian Ocean but they can also be found in the deeper parts of the Atlantic. I have seen them first hand.

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugar rises the day before then falls rapidly for the first 2 days of period