wont help himself....

willysmum

Type of diabetes
Carer
My husband who has been diagnosed T2 for about 6-8 months seems to be on self destruct, hes been prescribed 3 x 500mg Metformin a day, one in the morning and 2 at night. Hes stopped taking the the morning one as he didn't like how it made him feel, and instead now binge drinks with cocaine added in for good measure. I cant remember the last time he checked his levels although occasionally when he gets home high and drunk will let me do it and its about 9.7. He has no sex drive and is on Statins for high cholesterol which I know can cause ED combined with the diabetes, he wont talk to me about any of this which is making me feel very lonely and depressed. His mother died from complications from diabetes and he just seems to of accepted defeat. I don't know what to do anymore x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @willysmum I am sorry to read that your husband's behaviour is causing you to feel lonely and depressed.

You know him better than anyone so will know whether his reaction is out of character or not and whether there is any hope of improvement. It sounds like a double whammy of denial and the arrogance that drinkers/cocaine users experience meaning that your feelings in this are overlooked. I hope you have some people in real life around you for support.

Reactions: col101 and Prem51

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband who has been diagnosed T2 for about 6-8 months seems to be on self destruct, hes been prescribed 3 x 500mg Metformin a day, one in the morning and 2 at night. Hes stopped taking the the morning one as he didn't like how it made him feel, and instead now binge drinks with cocaine added in for good measure. I cant remember the last time he checked his levels although occasionally when he gets home high and drunk will let me do it and its about 9.7. He has no sex drive and is on Statins for high cholesterol which I know can cause ED combined with the diabetes, he wont talk to me about any of this which is making me feel very lonely and depressed. His mother died from complications from diabetes and he just seems to of accepted defeat. I don't know what to do anymore x

This is really sad and I hope that you can find some way to get through to him how dangerous his lifestyle has become. Any number of complications could develop as a result of using cocaine, but to take that stuff being a diabetic may well advance possible problems associated with diabetes, add in the alcohol and as blunt as it sounds I think long term your hubby is heading for disaster. I just hope he gets a gentle wake-up call before it's too late. I'm not in any position to give you professional advise (which by the way I think he needs) and here really isn't the place to do so, but are there any other members of his family that could possible talk to him?

You really need to get him some help because all that will happen is his blood glucose levels will rise and his diabetes will not be under control and he'll get worse. Should he get worse then the medics may have to supplement his metformin with additional medication which may cause further complications given his drug and alcohol situation.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your partner @willysmum. Unfortunately your partner needs to make the decision to help himself. Nobody can make that decision for him.
It sounds like this is affecting you badly, and I suggest you speak to your GP about how you are feeling. Perhaps your GP could speak to your partner, which might carry more weight. I hope things will improve for you.

Reactions: tina_marie

willysmum

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thank you for your replys. Unfortunately he is not very close to his family so they cant help and I don't really have any support either so I think I will have to look further into finding someone to speak to, maybe the gp or a drug support worker. I really do appreciate all of your kind words in this matter and have some serious thinking to do x

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I see your first post was in June last year and am sad to think of what you must have suffered on your own since then. Yes, you do have some serious thinking to do and I hope you'll share it with us. Keep posting.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not sure there is anything anyone can say to make things better for you....... but big hugs are plentiful here so i will just send one of them xx