JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had 30 g of porridge this morning about 20 g of carbs bg before 5.7 two hours later 5.7 not sure of the intervening time as did not have chance to test moderate amounts seem to be ok for me.

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gutted today found out my two favourite breakfast items are no good porridge and bananas , thought I was being healthy for years , nightmare

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was eating porridge most mornings over the winter. I made it with hazelnut milk and soaked chia seeds, and added double cream.
I thought it would be ok as my fbgs were usually fairly good, in the 6's.
But I tested at the end of January. My fbg was 5.8, one hour later on testing the reading was 10.8. Too high a rise and I haven't eaten porridge since then.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent some time in Sainsburys studying the porridge (as you do) and found Mornflake Oatbran to have one of the lowest carb levels. 47.3 per 100g. They recommend a 40g portion @ 18.9g carbs, but I found this was way too much for me to eat, so I only have 25g, @ around 12g carbs. Yesterday I had it with an apple, but sometimes I put a teaspoon of peanut butter in it. I make it with part milk and part water. Yesterday I was 5.6 before, 7.4 at 1 hour and 6.6 at 2 hours. I'm quite happy with that.

Reactions: Prem51

lindisfel

Expert
I couldn't eat porridge without having three large eggs fried in loads of olive oil soaked up with flaked almonds. Then I keep below 7 but otherwise I spike. D.

Reactions: Prem51

mark3888

Hi. I want to add some variety to my low carb diet. Is porridge good or bad in this regard? It keeps me feeling full for longer but oats must be a carbohydrate.
Good morning I have 40g of porridge with a few raspberries/blueberries every morning a small rise in BG but its good for me mentally so its worth it;)
I eat a similar mix - with soya milk powder and cinnamon; my portion control is poor but it is delicious cold so I often eat it through the morning finish the bowl for lunch!

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi. I want to add some variety to my low carb diet. Is porridge good or bad in this regard? It keeps me feeling full for longer but oats must be a carbohydrate. Any advice?

porridge...is that like oatmeal?? Oatmeal is a slower acting carb...and so good for u....I had my gall bladder out, and it's one thing I have to be careful with...but I'm not the diabetic here...I only know of porridge thru nursery rhymes??? lol... i'm not crazy about low sugar stuff, like syrups...so look at labels, and make sure the carb content is not high....he likes raisins in his oatmeal...sweet, but very good for the heart...everything in moderation!

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
I've made oatmeal cookies for him, using homemade applesauce....they don't come out as good as the ones with all that brown sugar, etc...but they are not bad. We have great apples here..my favorite is golden delicious....so sweet, but they come out in October...late.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oats, raisins and apples - do you test the BG levels those produce?
Raisins are 80 percent carbs - way too dangerous.
I could eat minute amounts of oats or apple, but that combination in any quantity and my meter would be exclaiming at the high BG levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
porridge...is that like oatmeal?? Oatmeal is a slower acting carb...and so good for u....I had my gall bladder out, and it's one thing I have to be careful with...but I'm not the diabetic here...I only know of porridge thru nursery rhymes??? lol... i'm not crazy about low sugar stuff, like syrups...so look at labels, and make sure the carb content is not high....he likes raisins in his oatmeal...sweet, but very good for the heart...everything in moderation!

Yes, oatmeal and porridge are the same thing. :)

The generally accepted idea is that oats are a slower acting carb because they take a longer time to digest and release their sugars into the bloodstream.

Unfortunately, for many of us who have blood glucose meters, we find that this is simply not true.

That is why you will find so many people on her suggesting that we carb count, and test our blood glucose, and make sure that we know exactly what eat type of food does to us. There are some people who find that oats don't raise their blood glucose too high, and some people who find it is as bad as white bread or sweet fruit and white rice. Always good to know what our body is up to! :D

lindisfel

Expert
But it makes a big difference if one eats fat and protein first! D.
Yes, oatmeal and porridge are the same thing. :)

The generally accepted idea is that oats are a slower acting carb because they take a longer time to digest and release their sugars into the bloodstream.

Unfortunately, for many of us who have blood glucose meters, we find that this is simply not true.

That is why you will find so many people on her suggesting that we carb count, and test our blood glucose, and make sure that we know exactly what eat type of food does to us. There are some people who find that oats don't raise their blood glucose too high, and some people who find it is as bad as white bread or sweet fruit and white rice. Always good to know what our body is up to! :D