Few Questions

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Okay so lets say if you have type 2 diabetes, and people saying how low carb is effective (I am not denying this) but, what if instead of going low carb, you just worked out more? Would this change anything?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem very confused about the different food groups and what happens when low carbing - this morning I checked my lean muscle mass is being maintained - it is. At least according to my scales, my lowered weight is a rapid drop in the first few days which I assume is water, but from then on it is fat loss.
When I was doing Atkins I learned how many grams of carb I needed to eat to lose weight quickly, slowly or to maintain. I used my scales to judge my requirements at that time.
If you want to know what is going on with regard to your blood glucose and weight and muscle building then you need to have meters to follow what is going on. You can buy blood glucose and body mass analysers.
Different individuals will respond differently to various foods, not just food types but such things as porridge, which some diabetics can eat and some have huge rises in blood glucose for hours after.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Muscle mass is built with proteins, not carbs. That's why they have these protein shakes etc that my male pupils drink all the time to bulk up their muscles (as well as going to the gym, of course.) If you want to get bigger muscles, eat more protein, but be aware that protein does get converted to glucose by your body (albeit at a much less efficient rate than with carbs.)

If you are a vegan, I am going to assume that you know exactly how to get adequate daily intake of proteins and fats, since being a vegan is a conscious choice, which should not be made unless you know a bit about nutrition. (Not to say that non-vegans and non-vegetarians shouldn't also have some knowledge of nutrition, but since our food production industry is built to cater to non-vegan, non-vegetarians, being either of those two is more difficult than it ought to be, and therefore needs more knowledge.)

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Wait so most people on here who are type 2 and not on meds ARE NON VEG? Yeah... I don't think that's a good idea. The repeating thing I see on this forum a lot is "low carb and high fat".

Why don't people focus on actually eating more healthy? Instead of eating better foods they tend to focus on low carb and high fat. I am pretty sure meat (Yes I know it has very little carbs) spikes your blood sugar.

Also to those who are on insulin meds (Type 2 diabetes), Why not take these supplements/incorporate these foods to decrease your blood sugars.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Chromium GTF
Vanadium
Potato Starch (Resistant starch)
Ceylon Cinnamon
Bittermelons
Maitake Mushrooms
Berberine
Gymnema Extract
Shilajit
Resveratrol
Spirulina (Just for health)
Chlorella (Just for health)
Bee Pollen (Just for health)

Also, I know people will try to supplement one or 2 of these things. But, why not all of them? Yeah it's not advised if one person takes these WHILE on meds. But, would you take meds or take all of these?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lol "eating more healthy" many on here reject the pseudo science that came up with the low fat mantra. It has and is being debunked in many scientific papers. As for meat - it doesnt spike my BG levels. Takes and keeps me at a nice 5.6 mmol/l. Also please tell me why on earth any one would want to take all of those supplements!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take nothing

Type of diabetes
Researcher
I have a question for you. Lets assume your a young person in ur 20's right? And as you said you take no meds all by diet and lifestyle. Now if you continue eating and living the same lifestyle in your 40's and 60's will you eventually need to start taking meds or supplements or start exercising more or eating less? Doesn't your metabolism slowdown and stuff?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a question for you. Lets assume your a young person in ur 20's right? And as you said you take no meds all by diet and lifestyle. Now if you continue eating and living the same lifestyle in your 40's and 60's will you eventually need to start taking meds or supplements or start exercising more or eating less? Doesn't your metabolism slowdown and stuff?

No, people vary.

You seem confused. Some people here do choose to eat LCHF, others choose to eat low carb (ie more carbs than LCHF), some choose a Low GI diet. People eat as suits them as individuals.

You're asking hypothetical questions, presumably to gain information for yourself, but its hard to answer as what we're trying to help you with is unknown.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to do a lot more reading - about how the body reacts to insulin, and how it reacts to different carb levels, what constitutes 'healthy' macro nutrient intake.

I suggest you get the book The Art And Science of Low Carb Living by Voleck and Phinney. It will answer all those questions and a few more that you didn't know needed asking.

Regarding the supplements - good health is about a great deal more than throwing supplements at it. Supplementation should only be used where there is a need and a clear benefit. Going out and buying 20 different jars of pills and taking them indefinitely may make you feel a bit better, but how the heck would you know which 2 or 3 of those jars was helping?

It requires a sensible, gradual, reasoned approach.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Not every information out there which is mainstream is right. Hopefully at least one person on the forum has tried some one of those supplements instead of meds. Most people just call you "Quacks" when you say stuff like this but, when you see most Doctors out they only get about "On average, students received 23.9 contact hours of nutrition".

Last edited by a moderator:

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The repeating thing I see on this forum a lot is "low carb and high fat".

Why don't people focus on actually eating more healthy? Instead of eating better foods they tend to focus on low carb and high fat.

Errr.... those are not mutually exclusive, you know? Better foods - as in, natural foods not mucked about in a factory or lab - which are low in carb and not being afraid of the fat.

There are some people who do LCHF using frankenfoods. They are not the majority. Most use real food and avoid processed as much as possible.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Are you a nutritionist @rachelsmith10111 ?
Nope, but, my friend is and we used to talk about this a lot. But, I am a big time health nut, I basically eat the same thing every day ( Very easy to make diet consisting of Beans (Sprouted sometimes cooked sometimes with stuff like peppers and spices, few nuts, vegan protein powder and big amounts of spinach, parsley, asparagus, kale.)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

LCHF can be vegan too. Why not? It is just a balance of macronutrient ratios and all these macros can be found in the plant kingdom.

I personally can't exercise my diabetes away as anything more strenuous than walking or dancing raises my blood glucose level significantly.

Bee pollen? That's for bees and has no place in a vegan's diet in my opinion. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, but, my friend is and we used to talk about this a lot. But, I am a big time health nut, I basically eat the same thing every day ( Very easy to make diet consisting of Beans (Sprouted sometimes cooked sometimes with stuff like peppers and spices, few nuts, vegan protein powder and big amounts of spinach, parsley, asparagus, kale.)

Right, that's great you've found a diet you like. You've not properly explained why you're asking these questions, so I'm sure you can understand people's uneasiness.

People here have diabetes and often other medical conditions too, and have received diagnoses and ongoing monitoring, which allows them to best choose the most appropriate diet for them. This website respects all dietary choices as the members eat a variety of diets as suits their medical needs and their personal preferences.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wait so most people on here who are type 2 and not on meds ARE NON VEG? Yeah... I don't think that's a good idea. The repeating thing I see on this forum a lot is "low carb and high fat".

Why don't people focus on actually eating more healthy? Instead of eating better foods they tend to focus on low carb and high fat. I am pretty sure meat (Yes I know it has very little carbs) spikes your blood sugar.

Also to those who are on insulin meds (Type 2 diabetes), Why not take these supplements/incorporate these foods to decrease your blood sugars.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Chromium GTF
Vanadium
Potato Starch (Resistant starch)
Ceylon Cinnamon
Bittermelons
Maitake Mushrooms
Berberine
Gymnema Extract
Shilajit
Resveratrol
Spirulina (Just for health)
Chlorella (Just for health)
Bee Pollen (Just for health)

Also, I know people will try to supplement one or 2 of these things. But, why not all of them? Yeah it's not advised if one person takes these WHILE on meds. But, would you take meds or take all of these?

If you feel the need to consume all of the above, your first port of call should be to examine what you are putting, or more importantly, not putting on your plate. I do take some of those supplements from time to time, and a few others - Vit B array for example. I would prefer to get my Resveratol equivalent from a bottle of claret TYVM :D

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Yea I am not saying do all of them. Like some of those aren't even supplements like Apple Cider Vinegar, Bittermelons, Ceylon Cinnamon, Resistant starch can be obtained from cooling cooked beans/legumes/lentils. Maitake mushrooms you can consume.

I would personally take supplements over Metformin, insulin. But, yeah I recommend EVERYONE to research a lot before consuming anything.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yea I am not saying do all of them. Like some of those aren't even supplements like Apple Cider Vinegar, Bittermelons, Ceylon Cinnamon, Resistant starch can be obtained from cooling cooked beans/legumes/lentils. Maitake mushrooms you can consume.

I would personally take supplements over Metformin, insulin. But, yeah I recommend EVERYONE to research a lot before consuming anything.
Insulin CAN become a life saving 'must have' for some, you may also being ignoring the other benefits that Metformin gives. On the supplements front, you probably missed one that has the most impact - ALA

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We Guys have been living with this condition for decades and seen a heck of a lot of Quacks come and go.
I am interested in good science, excellent nutition, tight blood glucose control and continued good health - I've never seen a Quack who ticks all those boxes.

Regarding the whole Vegan idea used in The Big Diabetes Lie - you will find better science in Voleck and Phinney - and better writing.
We have several LCHF vegans who post on the forum, so you could combine the best of both worlds if you wanted.

Personally, I have tried vegetarianism, and won't be trying it again - and certainly not veganism. My body flourishes on omnivorous LCHF so I won't be messing with a winning combination.

Reactions: maglil55