Confused. Need an eating plan.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still hanging around, undecided about the way ahead. I don't have a gall bladder and therefore my system has little control over discharging bile. I am T2 and have been for many years - possibly many, many years and I was diagnosed with a fatty liver before being diagnosed diabetic and now have cirrhosis. I am currently under investigation for a tumour on a parathyroid gland, gastroenterology wants to investigate my stomach/bowel problems; there's some concern over my heart for which more tests have been ordered. I retain too much fluid, am obese despite years of trying to lose weight and have been advised that surgery on my various arthritic bits will not be contemplated until all these other issues have been sorted out. I am on 78 units Lantus overnight and 30 units Humilin S 2 or 3 times a day. I've been taken off Metformin for the last 3 months but don't have an appointment to check the results forf another 3 months, so don't know the effect that has.

Had I not been given bad advice from GPs over the past years I wouldn't be in the state I am now. But that's all water under the bridge and can't be called back. The question is - who is right here - should I be doing LCHF (which I have tried, to no avail) or should I try Low Carb Low Fat and see what happens? I could try milk thistle, although when I tried it in the past it gave me really serous migraines.

Alternatively, I could go with advice from dieticians and doctors available to me and stick with the higher carb level, low fat, low sugar fruits and veg and little meat (plenty of fish) and cut down on cheese and eggs. Apparently I should always have a breakfast cereal with low fat milk. I don't. But I do like my slice of toast and butter, which is easier and quicker anyway. Most of the time these days, I only have breakfast and a mid-afternoon snack - the rest is tea or watered down lemon juice with soda water.

I really can't think straight any more and I think this all may lead to an earlier demise than I had hoped for, which is a pity because I am rather attached to this life and would like to have a bit more before I pop off. Maybe I should devise my own diet - milk thistle, low fat protein, low sugar veg and minimal carbs (perhaps just one slice of toast each morning) and yoghurt (low fat). I wonder if tea is bad for me...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I wasn't able to fetch the printout yesterday but I have it now. It says 131 mmol/mol . I now know this is very high and I think I was kidding myself given my diet was so bad. Do you think there's any chance I'd be given medication instead of insulin? I still have no idea how long I'll have to wait for an appointment with the diabetes nurse.
Don't forget it is your choice ultimately. My initial diagnosis was a HbA1c of 134 (20 mmol), I instinctively refused Metformin for a week, went back to the Surgery and had a fasting blood glucose of 16 mmol (whilst eating completely the wrong food with no guidance) - I imagine what this would have been on low carb. Anyway I wasted a year eating high carb and used brute force over exercising to get my A1c down. If I had found this site in my first couple of weeks, I know I would have made my progression a lot quicker and I would not have been eating home made scones, rock cakes, soda bread, banana cake, brown rice, pasta and shop bought wholemeal biscuits (clearly not type 2 food). As I said before you have already seen 5.4's so clearly your body is showing that it wants to heal.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thin k you should go low carb and high fat right away...

but be careful because you are on insuline affecting medications.

but do plan and eat the 3 meals a day, maybe only coffe with cream fullfat cream in the morning... you need to find yourself something you can chose between at the meal where you know it contains the right amount of fat protein and the very few carbs, remember to count all in.
I did go low calorie too the first 6 month and have now lost more than 70 pounds...
try to not eat more than 40 grams of carbs a day to be able to loose weight..

good luck with it.. try to start writing down the plan 1 for breakfast ideas 1 for lunch and one for dinner.

try read this page, and read all down to the lower part of the page :
https://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-meal-plan-and-menu/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A single slice of thick bread has all the carbs for one day when starting off eating low carb the Atkins way - except you don't eat such things. It might be a quick and easy option, but not one I'd chose to have.
My first meal of the day is usually a salad with protein such as tuna, a slice of meat or some cold smoked haddock, perhaps grated cheese and hard boiled eggs. It is about 4 gm of carb. I do sometimes have bacon and eggs - because I can, often with a tomato or mushrooms. I don't work well on a carb less meal.
I do like eating low carb, and think that being diagnosed with diabetes has done me a big favour by making me drop the high carb foods I was consuming as part of a 'healthy' diet.

Reactions: Knighthawk22
Type of diabetes
Researcher
I recommend eating vegan and a low healthy carb diet. (Yeah you can have low carbs but, if the quality of carbs is bad then it's not improving your overall health) I would say to overall increase in every aspect possible and start exercising more. At the end of the day, eating less is actually better for diabetics as long as you are getting all the nutrients. Which is impossible without taking supplements. (I mean eating less as possible while gaining as much nutrients as possible.