Permission to rant....

Joshman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I just begin by saying, I love this site!! I've lost count of the number of times I've had a query about being diabetic and found the answer (or answers, even) on here. It's reassuring to know there are others out there who have the same queries, doubts, uncertainties and struggles with their condition. On the whole I think I've found and followed the advice that's right for me.

I haven't had any obvious sugary foods since the day I was diagnosed, and going off the experiences shared by many of you good people out there, I lowered my consumption of carbs. I certainly feel a lot better although I still have my "off" days. The main benefit I've noticed is the weight loss, it seems like my clothes are getting looser and looser on almost a daily basis.

However, being out and about on a glorious day like today has, surprisingly, hit me hard. You're probably wondering why.....here's where the rant begins...

Remember how on a hot summer's day, your ears would prick up the moment you heard the slightly out of tune jingle of a passing ice-cream van, and without giving it much thought, you'd treat yourself to a large 99 or something else that was just as deliciously icy and creamy?

Well, I can't do that anymore!! I've never had a particularly sweet tooth but there's something about ice-cream and summer. It's a great combination, they were meant to be, and I was meant to indulge every now and then. Not today. Today was different, I've got my 7yr old niece with me today and she heard the ice cream van before I did. She proceeded to ask me the same obvious question that every kid, at that precise moment, was asking a nearby adult, "Can I have an ice-cream? Can I?... Can I?... Can I?".

Sure why not, I thought, it's no big deal, ok so I can't have ice-cream, so what, I've accepted I'm a diabetic, I've come to terms with it, there's no reason she can't have some. Then I had to watch her eat it, and that's when it hit me, I don't want to be a diabetic anymore, it sucks!!

I want ice-cream, not every minute of every day, just now and then, is that too much to ask for? Now I know what some of you would say, if you want ice-cream, have it, just make sure it's teeny tiny teaspoonful and only have it once every Millenium. I'm sorry but that's not good enough!!

We're meant to be the most intelligent of all species on earth, we came up with the wheel, we went to the moon, we've made contraptions out of tin that are exploring the edges of our solar system as we speak, how the hell have we not been able to produce a zero carb, zero sugar ice-cream alternative that tastes as good as a McDonalds Ice-Cream McFlurry?

Ok, forget ice-creams... for now... what about drinks? What am I meant to drink on a hot day like today? Water's great, I like water, I drink it every day, you could say I couldn't live without it but today I want something different. I want something ice-cold and non-water flavoured. The problem is most drinks being sold in shops, newsagents, supermarkets are either full of sugar which will kill me, one day, or full of artificial sweeteners, which will not only kill me, one day, but also taste like cr*p.

What about fresh fruit juice, I could drink that and it's full of natural goodness. Nope, can't go there, even fruit juice is out to get me. Plain old fruit on the other hand, I hear, isn't so bad.
Great, I love fruit, and that reminds me of being in the Carribean a couple of years ago, I had these huge slices of juicy water-melon on the beach, fantastic!! What's that you say?....it's probably a good idea for diabetics to avoid water-melons? ....And mangoes ...and most other exotic fruits....I should just stick to good old apples and bananas?....oh not banana's ...they've got it in for me too?....Great!!

Yes,I know what some of you would say. I can't know for definite if I can't eat something unless I test myself before and after consuming it. Well I can't do that because the NHS don't think I deserve to have a testing meter. "How will I know if my blood sugars are under control without a meter?" I ask them. "Just trust us", they reply, "keep on stuffing your face with bread and potatoes and you'll be just fine", they say. I think secretly they're trying to kill me. I've become a burden to them and they can't afford to take on anymore diabetics. They had a meeting to decide what cuts they were going to make to save money and my name came up.

Oh I can't take anymore of this, it's too hot, I'm sick of sipping on water. Roll on winter that's what I say....Cups of tea and hot soup....they won't kill me.....they like me....they wrap themselves around me like a cosy duvet and whisper, "We love you Josh"....

...Help me someone....I think I'm going insane.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Joshman said:
The problem is most drinks being sold in shops, newsagents, supermarkets are either full of sugar which will kill me, one day, or full of artificial sweeteners, which will not only kill me, one day, but also taste like cr*p.
The sort of people who say artificial sweeteners will kill you are the sort of people who say MMR causes autism and HIV doesn't cause AIDS. But yes they taste different. Diet 7up tastes horrible and stickily, like sugar, so you might like that :) I actually prefer the taste of aspartame to sugar, for drinks.

Joshman said:
I think secretly they're trying to kill me.
That's the only reason I can think of for their poor treatment of type 2 diabetes. Since them correctly re-diagnosing me as having type 1 diabetes, they have stopped letting me gradually die. They give me test strips, and actually do something when my blood sugar is high, not just say 'come back in 3 months'. The blood sugar level targets they have given me are lower too. I used to think it was just the NHS being incompetent, but now I know they are capable of treating diabetes but just choose not too if it is type 2, I don't know what to think.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes. Un-installing ****** HP software broke my computer, so had to do a system restore. Now FireFox has forgotten all settings. Check spelling is on but it doesn't seem to be working. How fun.

Edit: correcting spellings. got spellchecker to work.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Joshman,

You are not going insane, far from it and for those of us further along our journey we have all been where you are now.
Why me is a common thought and we feel deprived when others can eat what they like without any consequences. Life is not fair and having diabetes makes that very obvious.

You need test strips to manage the condition and whilst I realize the expense is high for some, it is the only way forward. Try and persuade your team that you need them, write to your M.P., take it up with your PCT and if all of these measures fail then I urge you to see if you could afford some for a few months so that you have an indication of what is happening. Ask for money instead of presents when it is your birthday and other times when people buy you presents. Explain that you need it to invest in your health.

I know water is not what you want to be drinking but try adding ice cubes and lemon slices to it. You can do this with diet drinks too. Try adding fresh cream and fruits, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries to some yoghurt and putting it in the freezer for a while. Tastes good.

The alternative is to eat what you like and suffer the consequences.

Sending you a virtual hug, (((()))). It does get better with time.

Catherine.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when you feel you really need a treat melt one piece of high cocoa chocolate in microwave add blackcurrents or any other berries or if you dont have these just al little of your favourite fruit .pour over double cream or creme freche and enjoy .Tastes better than any synthetic "ice cream".Or add warm choc to your frozen yoghourt as sugested BLISS . CAROL

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Permission Granted
I feel the same way, but I am lucky because my doctor has given me a meter and strips, and I do slip off the wagon occasionally with ice cream Etc. But before getting my meter from the Docs, I went out and bought one from the chemist a One touch Ultra easy, pretty basic but cheap and comes with a few strips, cost about £7 I think, then got more strips off Ebay.
You can then have your Ice cream and test, I doubt just one will kill you :)

Ps You can get "Diabetic" Ice cream, a local seller had some, but stopped selling it through "lack of interested customers" :x

Joshman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tips guys. I have to say, Catherine and Carty, your suggestions about cream, yoghurt and fruits sound delicious. I'm going to try both of those recipes. So cream's ok to have? I've always associated cream with cakes and desserts ....and trifle.....Mmmmmm trifle....er...yeah anyway, so for that reason, I've been avoiding it.

I'm think I'm going to have to start being more adventurous with the foods I can have rather than dwelling on the foods I can't have. I can cook, well sort of, but when I get home from work, I'm too tired to cook. In fact, quite often I'll just have a can of baked beans for dinner. Occasionally, if I'm feeling more energetic, I'll sprinkle some grated cheese over it ....eat you heart out Heston Blumenthal!!

I think I'll have to do as you guys suggest and buy myself a testing meter. I did manage to borrow one from a guy at work who's diabetic, but he wanted it back after a few days.....some friend he turned out to be! lol

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Regarding the icecream - Tesco stock a very good quality diabetic icecream by Kelly.
As for the sweetener, you are lucky to be able to use Aspartame, I suffer side effects of bloating and very bad headaches form that.
Am learning myself at this time what I can and can't eat/drink.
At least I can still have bacon and eggs when I want to.

ShyGirl

I had some ice lollies on Saturday. They were blackcurrant but I was shocked to discover ice cream in the middle.
I ate it anyway :twisted:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Joshman. :)

I think we all feel like that underneath but manage to keep a tight lid on it most of the time until frustration blows the lid open. :(

You have to work at finding novel and delicious ways of eating things which we can eat and there are some good ideas on here. :D

Someone as articulate as you could do an amazing amount of good by pushing for more to be done for diabetes rather than letting the system quietly dispose of us. :evil: The very fact that there is this site on the world wide web means that it is becoming ever more impossible to merely fob us off with plattitudes since we have knowledge at our fingertips. 8)

Hope you feel much better for the rant anyway! :roll: :D

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
OOOOOOOhhhhhhh Morrisons do a lovely tub of diabetic ice cream made by "Franks", its a joy to taste and eat, and although its a scoopy type rather than a whirly in a cone type its one treat that i dont feel guilty about, it tastes wonderfull, and really does make a great treat !!!! :D
Crofty

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Joshman,

Coincidentally, I was in the newsagents with my daughters this afternoon while they picked out ice lollies and I thought to myself "Hmm, what can I have? .... Nothing!" :evil: :evil: :evil:

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
croftmanor said:
OOOOOOOhhhhhhh Morrisons do a lovely tub of diabetic ice cream made by "Franks", its a joy to taste and eat, and although its a scoopy type rather than a whirly in a cone type its one treat that i dont feel guilty about, it tastes wonderfull, and really does make a great treat !!!! :D
Crofty
Thanks for that info! I go to Morrisons fairly regularly for a meal - they do a lovely 1/2 roast chicken with veg and nice little stuffing ball which is very cheap - so next time I shall hunt that icecream out. Making my mouth water already!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
croftmanor said:
Crofty

Nutritional info for Franks.

The nutritional information per 100g of ice cream is as follows:
Energy 163 calories
Protein 3.4g
Carbohydrate 17.9g
Fat 7.7g

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
sugarless sue said:
croftmanor said:
Crofty

Nutritional info for Franks.

The nutritional information per 100g of ice cream is as follows:
Energy 163 calories
Protein 3.4g
Carbohydrate 17.9g
Fat 7.7g

spoilsport

josie38

Theres always one that has to spoil it sugaless sue!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Josh, Im glad you said all that. I used to feel like that especially when i was first diagnosed. Those recipes that you were given are really nice and you could also make your own ice-lollies. Get some moulds ( i got mine from local pound shop) use sugar free squash and water (make it to ur own taste) and freeze, then an icelolly without the worry all guilt.

If you don't fancy doing that then I give hope of you ever finding anything to please you in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Seriously, hope all goes well and you fine the thirst quencher for you!!! :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
josie38 said:
Theres always one that has to spoil it sugarless sue!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, she's lovely really........ :wink: :lol: Still, somebody has to do it...... :roll:

That Diabetic stuff is just a waste of time, no real flavour I found. Get some real Ice Cream and lollies, small portions and the worlds your Vienetta !! :D

Ken

vodkatink

Johsman yr right - it totally sucks!

for about the last ten years or so I get anaphalaxis if I eat most fruit - all the lovely stuff pineapples, melon, kiwi's etc, I then devleoped a dairy intolerance which has ruled out ice cream and chocolate so life is pretty miserable for a girl and now this! :shock:

Now I can't eat cake or a sneaky custard cream now and again? I can only think that I must have been such a bad person in a previous life :evil:

If it wasn't so bad for me I'd probably start smoking just so I can stick two fingers up at the Health Police!

Can I face a life of couscous and felafal with a side order of blandness washed down with a glass of cool crisp Peckham Spring?

Cowboyjim

Hallelujah to all of that!
But baked beans instead of ice cream? Aren't they sometimes sugary? No matter, test afterwards so you can add them to the OK list... until they change the recipe.

I concur with you about your feelings of being a stranger in a strange land. It does my head in too. Frustrating too when trying to explain to half interested people who inquire as to your eating preferences. I find what I am saying difficult to believe so lordy knows what they think. Even makes me think I am barmy and must be wrong. We can't be stricken by something that puts you out of synch with everything out there in the shops and food places just about. Can we?

Certainly I have had my eyes opened by the illness and reading this forum etc. Though not by the NHS people I have met. I think though that they weren't closed before because I have been disenchanted about what I ate for ages.

For instance why do we have to have a pudding? Don't we get enough stuff from the main course?
Why are 'healthier' low fat things like yoghurt replete with sugar? I was aghast at what the ice cream my son brought home from Blockbuster the other night... who is fooled by the 'low fat' label? It's still got tons of sugar in it which in due course will go to fat. Cynical exploitation I think.

To counter my depressive feelings of being excluded I try to remind myself of how the entire world is being exploited. We are amongst the only ones privy to the truth and are doing something about it. That's the gift of diabetes if you want to try to put a good spin on such a vile thing. Yes, it might hasten your demise (if left unchecked) but your efforts to control it could extend your life while all around the unprivileged will drown in their weakness. 8)