Insulin Pump - help and advice

stephanie87x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my review today and I have been asked to think about transferring onto the pump as they think it will benefit me, as I am having trouble with my background insulin. I am a very private person when it come to my diabetes, so I have always dismissed the idea of a pump. I have only just recently started injecting and testing in public. I realise I have to put my insecurities aside and worrying about other people's judgement, which is why I am now seriously considering the pump if it will help improve my health. Now this may sound shallow, but one of my main worries is how it fits and people wear them? I tend to wear quite tight clothing so I'm worried this could be a problem? I am I interested to hear people thoughts and opinions. How have people who have transferred over found it? Pros and cons? Thanks guys.

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome, @stephanie87x ,

I'm a fairly new pumper. I have the Accuchek Insight pump. I wear it in a Hid-in band a little lower than my bra, and it's very comfy. It's not noticeable either to me or to others when I'm wearing my day-to-day clothing. For running I wear the pump round my hips (because having it round my chest means I can't run and breathe as deeply as I need to) but it's not all that obviously 'out' there.

Some pumps need operating directly, but what I like about mine is that you can drive it using the handset (which is also a test meter) so although I CAN and sometimes do fish the pump out to fiddle with it, I don't HAVE to. Which might fit well with you and your desire to keep your diabetes private.

I'm not too worried though about people seeing it though really. I'm proud of it. I was doing a post-swim test a couple of days ago - pump not visible, but test stuff was - and someone asked if I have diabetes, and we had a good chat.

Every single thing I have experienced with pumping has - to my delight and surprise - been absolutely brilliant. I would never ever want to give it up.

:happy::happy::happy:

stephanie87x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, that helps a lot. I have another appointment in a month so I think I will give it a go. Be silly not to even try and see how I get on :)

Reactions: Snapsy and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @stephanie87x
I totally understand your reluctance with a pump -- I was offered one 14 years ago and basically said -- NO -- why fix things that aren't broken
ok -- so what changed when I was offered one again in 2014 -- well -- top and bottom -- it was me that changed-- I realised ( after reading loads of post on the forum ) that there must be something about pumping that made it a positive alternative to injections

AND WOW --------- best move I ever made -- I wear an omnipod , nobody ever knows I am wearing it unless I tell them or show it to them
Ok -- I don't wear overly tight clothing -- but this topic should attract replies from many that do wear tighter clothing with no issues !!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @stephanie87x

The pro's far outweigh the con's IMHO and I'm almost sure sure you'll discover this yourself when you change to a pump, good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@stephanie87x The pump is ideal for being discreet. You can bolus when out without having to fiddle with an insulin pen.

When I wear tight clothes, I either just clip the pump on my waist with jeans, etc, or for a dress I put it in a Tubigrip on my inner thigh or in a bra bag which hangs under my arm. No one can see it at all :)

I've been pumping for 13 years and I'd never want to go back to injections!

thomasm88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@stephanie87x I started on my pump November last year after 5 years of mdi due my hb1ac sky rocketing to 86... I collapsed at Glastonbury last year... this was the start of all my major issue... my hb1ac was taken in January and it is now 52.... there is plenty of places to hide the pump have a look at the spie belt for insulin pumps or check out funky pumpers. It was a big change but has certainly got me back on track... I also recommend reading pumping insulin helped me to decide that was the best thing to do

Reactions: Snapsy

Lydia13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have the accu-check spirit combo pump which has a remote handset which means I never have to get my pump out in public. I wear my pump in a waistband or in my bra, and it's never noticeable even when I wear tight dresses on nights out. I've had my pump for 3 years now and I would never go back to injections as it's so much more discreet and convenient and my control has been so much better. Hope this helps

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I have the medtronic 640g and like you don't like to share my private business with others. I was very concerned when I got it about other's reactions but hardly anyone notices it. I do where it on my skirt waistband most of the time now as it's more convenient but in the beginning and where I wear a dress I wear it clipped to my bra. It works fine with tight clothes. The only indiscrete bit is if your pump links to a meter and blue tooths the reading to the pump, it lights up in the dark which might be a bit funny in a cinema - suddenly your cleavage will flash colours!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my review today and I have been asked to think about transferring onto the pump as they think it will benefit me, as I am having trouble with my background insulin. I am a very private person when it come to my diabetes, so I have always dismissed the idea of a pump. I have only just recently started injecting and testing in public. I realise I have to put my insecurities aside and worrying about other people's judgement, which is why I am now seriously considering the pump if it will help improve my health. Now this may sound shallow, but one of my main worries is how it fits and people wear them? I tend to wear quite tight clothing so I'm worried this could be a problem? I am I interested to hear people thoughts and opinions. How have people who have transferred over found it? Pros and cons? Thanks guys.

I've had two pumps now - i was diagnosed at 11 and went onto an Animas pump a year after diagnosed, absolutely hated it was so embarrassed regarding it just did not get on with it what so ever. i went back to basal bonus and was offered the aviva insight a couple years ago, decided to try it again as i too was embarrassing about injecting in public but it's absolutely amazing so discreet as you use the handset which bluetooth s over how much insulin to have etc so never have to get the pump out with the tubing. honestly the best thing i've done my control is so much better and is just all round brilliant! your life will change considerably!!! if you can get the aviva insight i definitely recommend it

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I am busty so I pop it in my bra and no one notices. When they see with the pump itself they think it is some other gizmo.

I've had it in my pocket of clothes before too. You can get all sorts of belts and stuff that go around arms, legs, tummies ect to hide them away. If you do go for it, it will become second nature in no time.

vans

I'd agree with everyone here. The pros outweigh the cons hugely. It's loads more discreet than injections so if that's your worry then give it a go. I never had those concerns as I saw any questions / curiosity as a way to educate people about diabetes!