Type 2 Viral effects on blood sugars T2

enthuser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have developed diarrhoea and sickness symptoms. During the last week my overnight (pre-breakfast) bs has been ranging from 11.4 to 15.7, which is unusual. Is there likely to be a connection?

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have developed diarrhoea and sickness symptoms. During the last week my overnight (pre-breakfast) bs has been ranging from 11.4 to 15.7, which is unusual. Is there likely to be a connection?
Absolutely, I've had really high fbg for the last two weeks+, I had viral illness and chronic sinusitis. I'm now better, and although I've had to fast to get fbg down, it is now within range. Hope you feel better soon, the numbers should drop once you are over the illness. All the very best, and I hope you recover soon.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What mess are you on if any and welcome to the forum. Lots of people will help

enthuser

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you LAR. I did wonder what was occurring as the high fbg preceded the sickness and I thought something was up but didn't know what! Let's see if the fbg reduces when the sickness passes but at least you have eased my mind. Mike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed, different types of infection seem to have different impacts on us, and sometimes inexplicably high readings are the first sign we have that our body if fighting off a bug.

Depending on which meds you are on (if any) then you may need advice on adjusting doses during illness. Have a read of the info leaflet that came with the meds, and if you still need help, ring your surgery. :)