Do I need to report retinopathy?

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 27. Type 1 diabetic for 11 years, reapplying for my provisional license. I see a diabetes consultant for my care, and have an annual checkup at the eye hospital to check the condition of my eyes. I've had the forms filled out for ages but was waiting on my eye checkup today before I send them off because I don't know if I also need to fill out a different form about my eyes.

The doctor noted only minor background changes and that my vision is fine. I have no symptoms associated with diabetic retinopathy. It was described years ago as pre-proliferative, which they explained as not actually a cause for concern but my eyes need to be checked to make sure it doesn't progress. I asked the doctor if I needed to tell the DVLA specifically about my eyes but he wasn't sure but he said there is nothing wrong with them outside diabetic retinopathy (which, I assume, is unavoidable for diabetics).

Is filling out the diabetes form enough when applying for a license or will I need to also order and complete a retinopathy form as well? I just don't want to get hit for not informing them even though I know it isn't an issue.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 27. Type 1 diabetic for 11 years, reapplying for my provisional license. I see a diabetes consultant for my care, and have an annual checkup at the eye hospital to check the condition of my eyes. I've had the forms filled out for ages but was waiting on my eye checkup today before I send them off because I don't know if I also need to fill out a different form about my eyes.

The doctor noted only minor background changes and that my vision is fine. I have no symptoms associated with diabetic retinopathy. It was described years ago as pre-proliferative, which they explained as not actually a cause for concern but my eyes need to be checked to make sure it doesn't progress. I asked the doctor if I needed to tell the DVLA specifically about my eyes but he wasn't sure but he said there is nothing wrong with them outside diabetic retinopathy (which, I assume, is unavoidable for diabetics).

Is filling out the diabetes form enough when applying for a license or will I need to also order and complete a retinopathy form as well? I just don't want to get hit for not informing them even though I know it isn't an issue.

Hi,
Can you honestly tick the "no" boxes on the form regarding lazer or injection treatment on "both eyes or the remaining eye."??
(The questions from memory.)
I'll get someone shoot me down for this.. But the fact remains. If you can tick the no in honesty & good faith?

Then what's the issue?! ;)
It don't sound like your doc has advised agianst driving either..

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi AlisterCat

I've got type 1, driving for about 17 years. I've informed the DVLA I have type 1 and they send me a medical form every 3 years. The licence is medically restricted and renewed every 3 years and I've not had any issues so far (touch wood). I think they referred the form to the diabetes consultant once, otherwise they accept the information I complete. I remember I was able to email the form back to them last time. I've not had any major issues, although I've had background retinopathy, which I'm told is stable, for maybe 10 years now. I just fill in the form they send me, accurately mind, including number of hypos and hypo awareness etc. So I can only suggest you fill in the form they send. I've not specifically reported it. I'm not aware of a different form. Hope that helps.

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Can you honestly tick the "no" boxes on the form regarding lazer or injection treatment on "both eyes or the remaining eye."??
(The questions from memory.)
I'll get someone shoot me down for this.. But the fact remains. If you can tick the no in honesty & good faith?

Then what's the issue?! ;)
It don't sound like your doc has advised agianst driving either..

I have not had any treatment, advice on treatment or any information that suggests I will need treatment.
It's not whether it would prohibit me from driving, just that the website is very unclear about whether they need informing of something that isn't an issue yet. It says retinopathy forms are for people with retinopathy in both eyes and thats it.

Does 'diabetic retinopathy' count in that? As far as I am aware all that means is that diabetes affects the eyes but it does have the word in it. I just want to be careful.

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi AlisterCat

I've got type 1, driving for about 17 years. I've informed the DVLA I have type 1 and they send me a medical form every 3 years. The licence is medically restricted and renewed every 3 years and I've not had any issues so far (touch wood). I think they referred the form to the diabetes consultant once, otherwise they accept the information I complete. I remember I was able to email the form back to them last time. I've not had any major issues, although I've had background retinopathy, which I'm told is stable, for maybe 10 years now. I just fill in the form they send me, accurately mind, including number of hypos and hypo awareness etc. So I can only suggest you fill in the form they send. I've not specifically reported it. I'm not aware of a different form. Hope that helps.

That suggests that I don't need to, which is encouraging. Finding out recently that having diabetes will make my license expire every 3 years is a pain but since my eyes are monitored under diabetes at least it doesn't sound like I will have to be subjected to questions about them independently from diabetes by DVLA. As long as my sight remains unaffected.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember sending £10 to the DVLA when my photolicence "expired" after 10 years.. only for them to send my cheque back and issue another one free. So there are some benefits...:rolleyes:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember sending £10 to the DVLA when my photolicence "expired" after 10 years.. only for them to send my cheque back and issue another one free. So there are some benefits...:rolleyes:

It's always cost me nothing to renew.. Lol, even with the updated "mugshot"!

@AlisterCat sorry if my first post came across a little "something".? Not my intention. I fully empathise what these **** forms look like.. Just take yer time....
Just my way of wishing you many happy years of motoring.. Follow the right "no" boxes. & you need not have to add any additional "ins & out's of a cats ****." :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It says retinopathy forms are for people with retinopathy in both eyes and thats it.

The DVLA website says you don't need to inform them if the retnopathy effects just one eye, if it effects both then you must:

https://www.gov.uk/retinopathy-and-driving

What I would do Alister is ring the DVLA helpline just to be sure, I've always found them to be helpful on the phone.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would make a note of it on the form, just tell it as it is. It isn't reason to deny you a licence but at least you can rest easy knowing you've told them everything. Or as suggested above, ring the helpline and ask - I'm sure they've dealt with similar queries plenty of times

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
I think perhaps it's also pertinent to inform your insurer. Because if they don't know about a medical condition they can invalidate your insurance. I told my Insurer about my diabetes even though I'm only type 2, and retinal scans show no problems. I also have the first stages of cataracts but the optometrist has said that at the moment, there is no need to tell DVLA as my vision is corrected by updated lenses.

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The issue with retinopathy and driving is that laser treatment can effect your peripheral vision. If you have had laser treatment, you need to pass an additional sight test. No laser treatment = no issue.