Thyroidectomy

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, has anyone any experience of this? And is diabetes and thyroid linked in any way?
I have googled but would prefer if someone on this forum who has been through this would let me know.

Thank you x

Reactions: Freema

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Speedbird,
I had my Thyroid removed 35 years ago, some 24 years before I became Diabetic, whilst there may be a connection I cant say for definite either way........if you are going to have yours removed soon or in the near future I have one suggestion to help afterwards........remember to use one hand to lift your head off the pillow before trying to move it, as it will feel very heavy and difficult to do so otherwise.

A

asparagusp

Both diabetes and thyroid disease are auto immune diseases and if you have diabetes you are more susceptible. I have had a hyperactive thyroid in the last couple of years although I haven't had it removed.

Reactions: Freema

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you satindoll and asparagusp. When I saw the endo yesterday he said my biopsy was not the "required result" so thinks it is best to remove nodules. They did light up on a pet scan so I guess they need to come out.
Can you recall satindoll, the recovery time? How long you were in hospital for? X

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My dad had this done at age 70 and was in hospital just a couple of days I think.

Reactions: Speedbird

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there @Speedbird,
Yes the two illnesses are both autoimmune diseases. I have both! The thyroid illness only became apparent after 10 years of seeking an answer. I had the operation, (a week after a hysterectomy) because it was wrongly diagnosed as a gynaecological problem. A visiting Doctor diagnosed HyperThyroidism the week after my hysterectomy!! I had a scan at the Brompton Hospital, and my thyroid was glowing!! The next week I had the operation. I was 'sorted' pretty quickly, as far as I remember. It was a relief not to have a pulse equivalent to doing aerobics when just sitting. It made a lot of difference for good.
The only problem was, 10 years later (whilst taking oral thyroxin) symptoms returned, (apparently it can grow back because the thyroid is tied into ones vocal cords, and the operation cannot remove it all without risk to your speech) , so I then opted for radioactive iodine treatment, and this killed the thyroid. Now taking oral thyroxin for 20 years. Diagnosed diabetic last February 2016.
Hope all goes well for you. I'm sure you will feel better, particularly if the levels are very high. All the very best
L

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you satindoll and asparagusp. When I saw the endo yesterday he said my biopsy was not the "required result" so thinks it is best to remove nodules. They did light up on a pet scan so I guess they need to come out.
Can you recall satindoll, the recovery time? How long you were in hospital for? X

Hi Speedbird,
I was in for 7 days in all as I had a bad reaction to the aesthetic, but that was many years ago and things have moved on, the advice on lifting your head still stands though..........good luck.......:happy:

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everybody. Very good info. I now know what to expect and don't feel so anxious.
LAR, I'm glad you mentioned the aerobics whilst sitting down. I have had that and blamed it on my coffee. Sorry to hear you went through a hysterectomy - me too Diagnosed Type 2 June 2016. X

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Speedbird

I too had my thyroid and both neck lymph glands removed 30 years ago. Lymph glands no real issue and were a day admission only. The thyroid was 6 days inpatient; I recall being told off for not eating, just drinking as the throat was sore (like broken glass) but within 12 hours of having solid foods, it improved massively and once the drains were out I was discharged.

Tablets for life - but hey, I'm still here and living life to the full

Reactions: Speedbird and LAR

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had hyperthyroidism a few yews back, the meds I was on at the time did not bring it back into line so I ended up taking a radio-Iodene tablet at the hospital and now on 100mg thyroxine daily

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everybody. Very good info. I now know what to expect and don't feel so anxious.
LAR, I'm glad you mentioned the aerobics whilst sitting down. I have had that and blamed it on my coffee. Sorry to hear you went through a hysterectomy - me too Diagnosed Type 2 June 2016. X
X