Diagnosed yesterday type 2 on Metformin

greengirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Overwhelmed and very confused.
I'm 47 and have been diagnosed yesterday my HbAlclevl was 96mmol/mol and plasma fasting glucose 19.4mmol/l
GP has prescribed Metformin and my appointment with Diabetes nurse is not for 2 weeks.
I am confused about which route to take Low GI or LCHF basically I'm looking at all food and thinking can I eat this!!!!
My instinct is to start by just cutting obvs sugar like cakes biscuits drinks etc and white carbs and eating healthy options will this work ?
So glad I have found this forum x x

Reactions: Liam1955

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Welcome to the forum. I followed the NHS advice, low gi and 'healthy' plate, but my meds gradually increased. Found this forum and now follow lchf and meds drastically reduced. Blood sugar best ever. So I would recommend lchf any day. Good luck. Jan

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to this really helpful forum. I was were you are now last September after being ill for 3months at the age of 50. Diabetes has no discrimination on age unfortunately.

I read allot about what was good or bad for use were all different about what we can tolerate, I went down the LCHF route maybe not so much on the HF. I have cut out all sweet surgery stuff biscuits cakes cut out bread pasta potatoes starchy carbs. I now eat allot more veg with either fish and meat. TBH it has made me get back into cooking and experimenting.

For food ideas have a look at the likes of diet doctor and low carb maive for ideas

I am sure many more will be along with words of wisdom. Good luck.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @greengirl
Welcome .. I'm new here as well and I understand the shock and the worry of a diagnosis out of the blue. You will receive a wealth of advice and support from the folks on this forum but I thought it might be helpful to share my experience of BG testing. I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one a few days ago.. it arrived yesterday. While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://www.spirit-healthcare.co.uk who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have now received both, and done my first tests. My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly .. the freephone support number (if required) gets you through to folks who are friendly and helpful. Point is, I was in the same position as you are today but after a couple of weeks, with the help that I received here, I made the decision to manage my diabetes positively, through testing and adopting the LCHF way of life. Result - I am now much more confident about the future
Hope this helps

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I was also in your position 6 months ago. By adopting the lchf way of eating my hba1c is now 39 and I am not on meds. There is amazing support and advice on this forum! I use the Abbott freestyle libre - a sensor you wear so you don't need finger prick testing so much.
All good luck and hugs! People are very friendly here! X

M

ME_Valentijn

@greengirl - You're probably not feeling good with blood sugar that high, and it'll take a while for the Metformin to help. Carefully counting my carbs and getting them down to 20-25 per meal has been the only thing which seems to have consistently helped me so far, though some people can get their carbs even lower.

Basically I eat no grains and just small amounts of sugars (coffee! :woot:), including no fruits (berries are okay). Mostly I eat meats, dairy, and vegetables now, though I have to go easy on the milk and only do full-fat. Instead of grains, I've switched to more moderate sources of carbs - squash, soy noodles (not mixed grain + soy), small amounts of potatoes, and lentils.

But the main thing is to measure and count. It's not a good idea to assume anything is safe, until you've reviewed the nutritional data on the package or on a site like calorieking.com (subtract fiber from the carbs, since it's an American site).

And it's pretty essential to get a blood glucose monitor as soon as you can, even if your GP won't prescribe one or discourages using it. It's the only way to get good control over diabetes, and to figure out what food your body can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 last November with a blood sugar level of 13.1 and HbA1C of 99.

Initially I cut out all foods containing sugar such as breakfast cereals and when I saw the diabetes nurse a few weeks later my glucose levels dropped to 9.8. I got an Accu-Chek Mobile glucose meter to see how my glucose levels were and they have be dropping slowly and are now around 6.2 in the morning.

I have been doing the low carb high fat diet which has allowed me to lose about 7kg weight and drop my blood sugar. My latest HbA1C was 59.

My advice would be to cut out orange juice, cut down on bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals. Some fruit like bananas should be avoided. See dietdoctor.com for LCHF recipes. Good luck :)

Reactions: greengirl

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @greengirl and welcome my friend, I to was in the same position as you are now 4 months ago,with their first hand and proven knowledge thanks to all the members here they have got me where I am now my HbA1c, was 114 (12.6) when diagnosed it was HbA1c 50 (6.7) at the beginning of January (my first 3 month assessment)but it is imperative that you follow their advice and help and all will be good:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's important to understand that Low-GI only means having low-GI carbs rather than Hi-GI ones but the total intake of carbs will be the same. Although Low-GI reduces sugar spikes it will still have roughly the same effect on average blood sugar as for High-GI; it just means the carbs are absorbed more slowly. Low-GI carbs may have more fibre which is good. I would focus on Low-carb with higher fats and proteins. We've all been thru the problem of learning more about foods but it's only then that you find out how much junk there is in the supermarkets but there is good stuff as well.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi
I'm 47 and have been diagnosed yesterday my HbAlclevl was 96mmol/mol and plasma fasting glucose 19.4mmol/l
GP has prescribed Metformin and my appointment with Diabetes nurse is not for 2 weeks.
I am confused about which route to take Low GI or LCHF basically I'm looking at all food and thinking can I eat this!!!!
My instinct is to start by just cutting obvs sugar like cakes biscuits drinks etc and white carbs and eating healthy options will this work ?
It's a good way to begin. You won't get it perfect straight away. I comes with time and research. Don't try to do this alone. I made that mistake and paid dearly for it.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @greengirl
I will tag @daisy1 who will post some very helpful info for newcomers.
My readings were similar to yours at diagnosis. HbA1c 95 and fasting 18. That was 2 years ago. My suggestion to you is get a meter and start testing. I was given a meter but most type2's are not. As the cost is in the strips for a reasonable price look as SD codefree or Tee 2. I haven't used the Tee 2 but people seem to like it.
By testing before a meal and 2 hours after you can find out how your body reacts to different foods and what needs to be cut out or reduced portion. I had to cut out cereals first and then things like bread, pasta and rice. After a few months as I got control I found I could then manage small portions so just because you can't eat something now it doesn't mean you will never be able to again. My readings are now mostly in the normal range and that is without any medication. I did manage to lose some weight which helps and I took up gentle walking. I'm older so wanted something gentle.

Reactions: KezG and greengirl

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi
Hi there.
I was diagnosed at the end of August last year with a HBAC1 of 102! Prescribed Metformin (which my stomach tolerated for 2 weeks and then said - no way!) and Gliclizade. Found this forum and went the LCHF route. At the beginning of December my HBAC1 was 50 and then saw the dietician in the middle of January. By that time I had lost over 2½ stone and I was told that I could come off my meds. That was a good day! I'm still waiting for my latest HBAC which was done then (shall we say make haste slowly?!) but it hopefully be better than 50. My fasting levels now tend to be between high 4's and middle to high 5's. I know it can be a minefield when trying to figure out what to eat - but just think that all carbs will end up being converted and will raise your BS level, it just depends how much and what you eat that makes the difference. I found mine tends to be potatoes, pastry and bread.

Fingers crossed for you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@greengirl

Hello Greengirl and welcome to the Forum :) To add to all the useful advice you have already received from Members, here is the Basic Information we give to new Members. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Hba1c was 111 mmol/mol at diagnosis. Six months later it was 36 mmol/mol and has been around that level since. How did I do it - well for me it was a case of cutting out all high carb foods, over about 10% in content. I never much was one for the sweet stuff, so it was largely cutting back or out bread and starchy stuff and the sweater fruits.

Your journey will be different from mine and everyone else. Your most important friend, especially in the early days, is your meter - to find out how you react to different foods in your diet. You will need to interpret the general advice into how your body works; some people can metabolise different kinds of carb easier than others - some find they need to go very low; others just need to take a bit of care. It may seem hard work at the start but it pays off. Your diet does not need to become monotonous; mine now if anything is more varied.

You will find opinions on Metformin vary on here; FWIW I see it as a useful help in trimming things back a bit (if you don't have problems with its gastric side effects) but it is an aid - you have to put the effort in.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

My advice would be to get yourself a blood glucose meter, and see what your current foods are doing to you.
Then start to lower carbs and/or go low GI and see what those foods do to your blood glucose.
Then start adjusting portions and food choices to keep your blood glucose in your target range.

It is a steep learning curve but very useful, and it will stand you in very good stead to control this for years to come

Oh, and I bet you a square of 70% dark chocolate, topped with whipped cream and a hazelnut, that you end up going Low Carb! ;)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been following the official dietary advice for diabetics for many years and my meds have been gradually increased. My Metformin dose has been increased to the point where the side effects are getting me down. Last straw was being advised to take a new medication that has five FDA warnings in the USA since it was introduced in 2014

That was my tipping point so, after reading loads of advice on this forum and asking questions I cut my carbs over the course of just under a fortnight and got a meter to see what is happening. I am now eating somewhere between 20-40g of carbs per day, mainly at my evening meal.

My fasting blood glucose was 10.8 on the 6th Feb and is now between 8-9 so on the way down on the LCHF route. The fat does make you feel full (I have an enormous appetite as a rule) and my sugars seem to be heading downwards. Early days yet but I'm a convert.

Have a read around - especially the success story thread - and make an informed decision as to what you want to do.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diagnosis was late December last year. I was given the standard advice from the NHS which is eat carbs with every meal. But then a found a few recommendations for LCHF including here. I have a long way to go but my BG figures are down, though its next month before I get another HBA1C. It's working for me according to my meter. One thing I did find, any sort of Carbs raised my BG. Even low GI carbs were bad. Minimising all carbs works for me, so go for it!

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Welcome greengirl. It seems that you have already decided to take advice from the members. Rightly so. I was in the same boat 2 years ago and found this site and followed the advice. It worked for me andI soon came off Metformin as my BG had dropped to safe levels The meter kept me on board. I lost about 3 stone, felt 100% fitter after taking extra exercise. But there lies the rub. I over did the rowing exercise and achieved a hernia. This has been a real setback but I should have known better. So now I am somewhat incapacitated. Temporarily, I hope. Moral. - Don't overdo the exercise, take it gently especially if you are pension age. Which you are not, but you may not be used to exercise. Good eating to you under your new regime.:cat: