eGFR result

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all just got the rest of my results back. All good and within lab range yet my egfr is low for the second time at 76. 83 a year ago. But next to this it states 0 stage ckd. I have done some reading and it seems you should not eat meat 12 hours before test or exercise for 2 days before test and I did both. My hba1c was normal. In the last year since been told t2 have lost 4 stone and taken exercise very seriously. Got a personal trainer with weights and workouts most days. Is it the exercise affecting my ever or my LCHF diet

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I can't comment on whether or not food or exercise affects the reading, but I can say I have never been advised to avoid either, in advance of my monthly tests. Don't forget that the e, in eGFR, stands for estimated, and so it can vary for numerous reasons. The calculation used can vary across labs and is influenced by numerous factors including age, so as that has increased since your last test, could in fact be one simple reason for a different reading.

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Bows

Your eGFR is great!! Anything about 60 is good and they normally just keep an eye on it at 60. The e stands for estimated but is only ever a few numbers out either side .
Mine at last check was 30 so I have bi weekly blood tests to check it .

Soo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, this is an estimated number, and part of the calculation is the person's age. The older you get, the lower the number will be. The standard used to be over 60. A few years ago they moved the goal posts and it is now over 90. There is nothing to worry about unless your other kidney functions are abnormal or creeping towards abnormal

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all I've been really worried because the nurse at gp clinic commented last year that 83 egfr was too low so when I got a 76 egfr this week my heart sank.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Your eGFR result is given as a stage from one to five:

stage 1 (G1) – a normal eGFR (above 90ml/min), but other tests have detected signs of kidney damage

stage 2 (G2) – a slightly reduced eGFR (60-89ml/min), with other signs of kidney damage

stage 3a (G3a) – an eGFR of 45-59ml/min

stage 3b (G3b) – an eGFR of 30-44ml/min

stage 4 (G4) – an eGFR of 15-29ml/min

stage 5 (G5) – an eGFR below 15ml/min, meaning the kidneys have lost almost all of their function

I'm at stage 2 with eGFR of 60

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine has been 60 like forever ... always told its fine for me :) other levels are all good !

Reactions: ickihun

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine said stage 0. Also really annoying that in the last year I have lost 4 stone and now have high cholesterol at 5.9. Normal before weight loss. Typical

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I am at stage 5 (eGFR of 10), although it went up to 11 on the last test. When mine dropped down to the 30's, I was advised that steadying my BG (and avoiding high's) and lowering blood pressure would help to a point.

D

Deleted member 371625

eGFR test measures creatinine levels, which are a breakdown of muscle mass. This is why you need to fast, though it should only be meat products that you really need to avoid.

yiannis_

midnight rider has it. Also it is worked out on average body weight, they need to input your weight if you are outside the normal range. Working out with heavy weights will increase creatinine as will taking creatine (as I do) which also negatively affects the estimate

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I need my new blood test printed off! Verbally told kidney tests were good. I too like to compare with previous one.