Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My FBG was up to 8.8 this morning! I ended up having 3 eggs scrambled with cheese, butter and cream in an effort to stop it rising any further. REALLY SCARY!

At the moment I've got bright pink eyes*, a red nose, a hacking cough, a painful chest, aching joints and bones and not much voice (not my best look) - so I phoned the doctor to make an appointment and was told the soonest would be a week next Monday (11 days!). If I want an emergency appointment (which seems a bit OTT for a cold) it would have to be with the awful 'diabetes expert' doctor who would, no doubt, blame low carbing - everything I have seen him for he's blamed on low carbing. Sorry... feeling sorry for myself.... :(

* The whites of my eyes are pink - weird.
I've been at the Physio as my legs were agony. I couldn't even lie down nor could I get painkillers into me fast enough. I was longing for 4 hours to pass to take another. Turns out it was related pain from my hips. I've been stretched and pulled in all directions ,which was not fun at the time, but it has helped. I have a load of daily exercises to open up the hips now.
I feel your pain @Chook. I have the cough and chest pain and I am struggling to sleep. I do think I am improving though as my BG is dropping again. I went to bed on 7.3 , FBG 7.4 and pre breakfast 7.2. It is really not looking good for my coffee but I'll reserve judgement until I'm well again. Yesterday was horrible. Try not to worry about your BG - remember I hit 9.5. All you can do is get fluids down, keep warm and rest. Not easy I know but there comes a time where you just have to give in. Thankfully No 2 is at pre school all day and No 1 has after school club so I'll just be nipping out at 5.30 ish to pick them up and take them home. This afternoon I am going to rest as it is pretty vile outside. Stick with it - you will improve.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've been at the Physio as my legs were agony. I couldn't even lie down nor could I get painkillers into me fast enough. I was longing for 4 hours to pass to take another. Turns out it was related pain from my hips. I've been stretched and pulled in all directions ,which was not fun at the time, but it has helped. I have a load of daily exercises to open up the hips now.
I feel your pain @Chook. I have the cough and chest pain and I am struggling to sleep. I do think I am improving though as my BG is dropping again. I went to bed on 7.3 , FBG 7.4 and pre breakfast 7.2. It is really not looking good for my coffee but I'll reserve judgement until I'm well again. Yesterday was horrible. Try not to worry about your BG - remember I hit 9.5. All you can do is get fluids down, keep warm and rest. Not easy I know but there comes a time where you just have to give in. Thankfully No 2 is at pre school all day and No 1 has after school club so I'll just be nipping out at 5.30 ish to pick them up and take them home. This afternoon I am going to rest as it is pretty vile outside. Stick with it - you will improve.

I hate going to the physio - mine is a mid 20s gorgeous looking sadist.

I'm going back to bed for a nap I think.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate going to the physio - mine is a mid 20s gorgeous looking sadist.

I'm going back to bed for a nap I think.
I thought they were all like that? (Although mine is early 30's but still a good looking sadist)
I'm starting to feel better. How are you?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought they were all like that? (Although mine is early 30's but still a good looking sadist)
I'm starting to feel better. How are you?

Do you think they only allow fit, young, good looking people to become physios? You know, just to depress us more when we're feeling our worst.

After a very early night I'm not feeling quite so exhausted but all the rest of the symptoms are still with me including the pink guinea pig eyes (what is that all about?). FBG a bit better at 7.3. I'm having a fasting day today which, hopefully, should give my body a bit of time to get healing itself.

I made the goats cheese and spinach 'pie' for yesterday's dinner and, even with this bug, I thought it was gorgeous. I used frozen spinach which I defrosted naturally and squeezed all the center out before frying it. The pastry tasted like a crumbly shortcrust - really nice.

Reactions: Speedbird

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi there! I have been lurking and reading this thread for a while and decided I had to share my experience with DD. I am on the Site as a success story and have kept my BG well under 6 for the last 4 years. I have lost 30 Kgs (66 pds). I average on 16 gr carbs a day. I found triggers for me were any fruit, Butternut, Gem Squash, White Cabbage (I had to change to Chinese Cabbage), Tomatoes and Onions. They pushed my BG high. Its not the same for everyone I know but did think I should share with you. Coffee did affect me until I changed to just Fresh Milk, no cream and Tea sent me Sky high. I have some great tried and tested Recipes if you are interested................Good luck!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think they only allow fit, young, good looking people to become physios? You know, just to depress us more when we're feeling our worst.

After a very early night I'm not feeling quite so exhausted but all the rest of the symptoms are still with me including the pink guinea pig eyes (what is that all about?). FBG a bit better at 7.3. I'm having a fasting day today which, hopefully, should give my body a bit of time to get healing itself.

I made the goats cheese and spinach 'pie' for yesterday's dinner and, even with this bug, I thought it was gorgeous. I used frozen spinach which I defrosted naturally and squeezed all the center out before frying it. The pastry tasted like a crumbly shortcrust - really nice.
Was the 'pastry' easy to handle or did it require any adjustments? I've been longing for a pie. I could make this for Sunday but I'd have to change the fish as they are not salmon lovers. I was thinking a smoked haddock with some curry spicing would work as that's what I use for kedgeree. Wonder if they would notice a substitute of cauliflower rice?
Can't think with the pink eyes. Obvious causes would be an allergic reaction or conjunctivitis but they would come with other symptoms. Have you tried a pharmacy? Our local Boots is very good for these things.
I'm much the same. Bed on 6.5 up to 7.3 and got to 7.6 pre breakfast. Feeling better than yesterday but legs still not 100%.
Maybe we should start a sadistic physio thread - Fifty Shades of Physio? My Daughter in law agrees the male physios all tend to be good looking but the woman have a high proportion of battle axes. She did say do you notice they smile while they torture you?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made the goat's cheese and spinach yesterday - I think it was last week I made the salmon one. Both times the pastry was easy to use - just put all ingredients in a food processor / liquidizer and process until it forms a ball. Its quite a moist dough and I found the best way to put it on was to cover the pie dish with baking parchment, tip the dough in to the middle then smooth it out with a spoon or one of those plastic spatchulas you use to scrape cake mix out of a bowl. You get this kind of uneven top which you can pinch shape like you do on a normal pie when you've got a base and lid. Yes, a bit of fuss, but it looked lovely. Once again, last night I only used about two-thirds of the egg mixture. I'm loving the 'pastry' - I'm sure there must be other uses for it - you do need to zap the sesame seeds in the liquidizer first on their own.

Great minds think alike. Not fish - but I did think about making a curried cauliflower pie - I used to love that when I was a kid - and I thought I would steam the cauliflower then made a creamy mild curry flavoured eggy mixture that would set using soured cream, eggs, maybe cream cheese and one of Mr C's curry pastes - it could turn out okay - just not sure Mr C would like it and there's just so much pie a girl can eat.

Oh yesssssss - my physio definitely smiles while he's inflicting pain on me. I have a problem with straightening my knees (when standing up or lying down) and its agony when he forces the back of my knee to touch the bed / trolley thing. Last time I didn't realise I was crying with the pain until I felt them trickling in to my ears.... lovely.... and he was STILL smiling. He and I have both come to the same conclusion - that what he is doing isn't helping and, sometimes, making it a lot worse - so I'm not sure whats going to happen next. He referred me for a leg brace which I've now got (and its hideous). I waited months for it and when I finally got it (and Mr C had to take a day off work to take me to collect it) they'd got the wrong size and then when the correct size was delivered I found they are sold for about fiften squids on eBay. All that fuss for £15!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the pink eyes are just another stage. Mr B had it too for a couple of days. Then it passed.
He always gets through these viruses quicker than me - the epitome of rude health, whereas I have always been a languisher. So he is almost better, with a few lingering coughs and sore throats after a bit more than 3 weeks. I expect you will not get away with it all so lightly - in fact I think you may have been going for longer than 3 weeks already?

Am back home. Had a great visit. But the dogs missed Mr B something rotten. And unfortunately he wasn't here when we got in, so now they are worried about that! His shift ends at 9pm tonight (I think) so the ecstatic reunion is scheduled for then. :D

The fridge is fully stocked with the materials for DD Keto week3, and I will be very glad to start it. The meal out we had was OK for blood glucose, but it left me with niggly little carb cravings, and I have been indulging them a little. Maybe 25g carbs a day, at a guess. And my body really needs to get back on the wagon. Really looking forward to it. The transition from feeling great on DD back to feeling OK on LC is a subtle one, but still noticeable.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there! I have been lurking and reading this thread for a while and decided I had to share my experience with DD. I am on the Site as a success story and have kept my BG well under 6 for the last 4 years. I have lost 30 Kgs (66 pds). I average on 16 gr carbs a day. I found triggers for me were any fruit, Butternut, Gem Squash, White Cabbage (I had to change to Chinese Cabbage), Tomatoes and Onions. They pushed my BG high. Its not the same for everyone I know but did think I should share with you. Coffee did affect me until I changed to just Fresh Milk, no cream and Tea sent me Sky high. I have some great tried and tested Recipes if you are interested................Good luck!

Hey, thanks for chipping in!
ARe you eating all three meals a day? And kudos for spotting those triggers. I would be heartbroken to lose tomatoes and onions. And I commiserate over the tea and coffee changes. :(

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, thanks for chipping in!
ARe you eating all three meals a day? And kudos for spotting those triggers. I would be heartbroken to lose tomatoes and onions. And I commiserate over the tea and coffee changes. :(
Ah but would you be sad about cabbage?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah but would you be sad about cabbage?

I think I would. I LOVE a good coleslaw. And crackslaw.
Though I could probably live without it elsewhere... lol

Forgot to say: My Libre average reading for the last 7 days is now 5.1mmol/l !!!! AWESOME eh?

I cannot believe that this huge drop has been achieved by just reducing carb intake by just 10-20g a day, down to around 10-15g a day. If I was reading about it on some internet forum myself, I probably wouldn't believe it. :hilarious:

Last edited:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
My FBG was up to 8.8 this morning! I ended up having 3 eggs scrambled with cheese, butter and cream in an effort to stop it rising any further. REALLY SCARY!

At the moment I've got bright pink eyes*, a red nose, a hacking cough, a painful chest, aching joints and bones and not much voice (not my best look) - so I phoned the doctor to make an appointment and was told the soonest would be a week next Monday (11 days!). If I want an emergency appointment (which seems a bit OTT for a cold) it would have to be with the awful 'diabetes expert' doctor who would, no doubt, blame low carbing - everything I have seen him for he's blamed on low carbing. Sorry... feeling sorry for myself.... :(

* The whites of my eyes are pink - weird.
Oh god, @Chook, get well soon!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes

Forgot to say: My Libre average reading for the last 7 days is now 5.1mmol/l !!!! AWESOME eh?

I cannot believe that this huge drop has been achieved by just reducing carb intake by just 10-20g a day, down to around 10-15g a day. If I was reading about it on some internet forum myself, I probably wouldn't believe it. :hilarious:
Blimey, @Brunneria, well done! Amazing average! I have only ever got my libre down to at lowest 5.6 average!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, @Brunneria, well done! Amazing average! I have only ever got my libre down to at lowest 5.6 average!

Yeah. I have to keep looking at it, cos I don't really believe it myself.

Apparently my personal carb tolerance is around 15g carbs in the form of vegetables. And no more (although I have been sneaking in 1 square of Lindt 70% choc a day, when the Libre wasn't looking. But then we all know that cocoa was misclassified by early botanists, and should really be considered a vegetable, not a bean).

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes

Apparently my personal carb tolerance is around 15g carbs in the form of vegetables. And no more (although I have been sneaking in 1 square of Lindt 70% choc a day, when the Libre wasn't looking. But then we all know that cocoa was misclassified by early botanists, and should really be considered a vegetable, not a bean).
Yes, I have gotten into a 2 square a night lindt 90% habit!! Part of my 5 a day!!

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Blimey indeed. Well done you. I'd be overjoyed with this.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes

I think in my case it should be reclassified as a macronutrient!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
O.M.G..... for the first time in my life I'm off my food!!! I've fasted all day (intentionally) then sat down to dinner and could only manage a couple of mouthfuls.
I have never gone of my food before.... ever....!!!!