Anyone else here Coeliac as well?

Diabetes8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Apparently it is common for Type 1 Diabetes and Coeliac Disease to be co-existing conditions as they are both autoimmune. I'd just like to found out if anyone else in the forum is also T1 and Coeliac as I have both myself

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am . No big deal. Gluten free subs are getting better but usually high in sugar or taste of cardboard

Reactions: Diabetes8

lindys

Me to type1 50yr coeliac 10yr. Hhas got better over the years. Eat out can be a pain but better then 10yr ago. Have a few years ago got told to leave!! Even when there was food on the menu free from.

stacyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out last summer that I am coeliac. When the nurse told me what they were testing for after having a few low iron results, it was the first I'd ever heard about the 2 conditions being linked - & I've been diabetic for over 20 years now!! It definately takes a bit of getting used to, but at least as it seems to be quite trendy to be 'gluten free' these days there are plenty of substitues available!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Type 1 with coeliacs here.......
Type 1 for 43 years coeliacs for 7
I felt i was dealt a cruel blow when first diagnozed with coeliacs on top of type 1 but just get on with it now.
I am no expert but if i can offer any advice or opinion i am happy to help.

Regards

Tony

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not coeliac but extremely gluten ( and all grain) intolerant. My daughter too. Mostly dairy intolerant but I try to sneak some in occasionally. I am also intolerant to many of the gluten cross reactive foods.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 for 38 years and coeliac for 1 year.

I'd never heard of the connection before but, when I read up on it, I was angry that they've known about the connection since the 1960s but only tested me a year ago. I asked why I wasn't tested when found to have osteopenia about 10 years ago, and cost was mentioned. I pointed out that I probably wouldn't now have osteoporosis, if they'd done the coeliac test then.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not coelliac but have been treated for ibs for 6 years but only diabetic 3.5 years demanded a scan as didnt think it was ibs i had. Coelliac negative, but turns out I have gastritis and duodenitis. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was tested 5 years ago, only because I was ill with nausea, vomiting, losing weight, upper abdominal pain, severe at times, diarrhoea at times too. Went to my GP, after a couple of months of nothing working, stomach tablets and tested for cancer, I suggested Coeliac disease to him because I googled my symptoms online. Had the blood test and then my first endoscopy ( the hospital failed to to do the endoscopy first time, they forgot !) so I had another one in the October. Didn't hear anything, so made an appointment with my GP, on November 1st. The first thing he said to me as I sat down was " My name, are you feeling much better now, now that you have been diagnosed with Coeliac ? I didn't even know !! He said I needed a bone density scan to test for Osteoporosis and in the following February I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis, in my spine, arms and hips, 3 months after Coeliac.
I became type 1 in 1989 after my Ex husband left me with our 2 children ( in shock and devastated at the time) became ill, with suspected Colitis first. 5 years ago my ex partner was in hospital for 5 months, We all knew he was dying, but our daughter, aged 11 wasn't told ( not cancer, but alcohol and I found out had been using hard drugs and he had Hepatitis C, so I had to be tested for Hepatitis C ) during that time and just after his death, that's when I noticed all the Coeliac symptoms. getting worse. Looking back at what happened both times, my conditions were triggered by shock, stress, anxiousness and worry, Just to add, my great nephew was diagnosed with Coeliac about 3 years ago, he doesn't have diabetes .

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not coeliac but very intolerant and lactose intolerant too.... fun!