LCHF and Stool (there's no way to be delicate!)

ghost_whistler

So I want to know if there's any issues with a LCHF diet and producing healthy stool. Also I have a lot of excess stomach acid it seems, which causes my tummy to rumble a lot. I mentioned before about constipation and taking senokot (don't). While there's no pain or even real discomfort when having a bowel movement but i'm sure it's not as healthy as it should be: a nice solid but not too solid stool. Now it's a bit looser with lots of smaller samples. Is there anything I can do to make sure my movements are healthy and my gut less acidic. Don't know of any connection between acid and stool.

Thanks. Sorry for the...euphemisms, but it is what it is (which is the problem)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you may be lacking fibre in your diet.

It is fiber that bulks the stool.

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The answer to all questions is avocado. Nice healthy fat and great fiber. I can't take any thing like senokot, flax etc. Too many veggies make my stomach rumble. And bloat actually. Protein fat and avocado are my ticket to great bs, great digestion and sustained energy. I need to watch veggies portions very carefully. Some more than others. Nothing with thick skins or seeds. I need to deseed and peel the skins.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With LCHF there isn't as much residue as a 'normal' diet.
I add extra fibre from time to time, but find that after a long time low carbing I just get used to there being less to get rid of.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I add extra fibre from time to time, but find that after a long time low carbing I just get used to there being less to get rid of.
Agreed and elequently put!! Less mass, less volume!

ghost_whistler

The answer to all questions is avocado. Nice healthy fat and great fiber. I can't take any thing like senokot, flax etc. Too many veggies make my stomach rumble. And bloat actually. Protein fat and avocado are my ticket to great bs, great digestion and sustained energy. I need to watch veggies portions very carefully. Some more than others. Nothing with thick skins or seeds. I need to deseed and peel the skins.
I eat 1 every day for breakfast. Why would veg affect your stomach? How much is too much? I eat about 6-7 portions a day, including my avocado. Not huge portions either.

ghost_whistler

Assuming you eat meat, and i'm eating a bit more now than before, isn't that going to cause the opposite? More animal matter clogging you up - or is that just the standard dietary advice?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Try psyllium husk - very gentle but effective.

M

mist

When I was in hospital with pancreatitis last the doctor kept wanting to put his finger in my butt! :D

Does diabetes do something to our poop making gear? I wasn't on and never have been on a LCHF diet so what was his game! :joyful:

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably checking for swollen tissues in the prostate region - a correlation between the two issues has been observed on a few occasions in the past, so playing on the safe side IMHO.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From casual observation, if meat or fish is eaten without lots of carbs digestion is very efficient, and almost nothing is left - which is why I have encouraged people who count total carbs including fibre not to disregard some high fibre foods for being 'too carby' when in fact they are simply high fibre.
I know some people feel that they should 'go' every day or bad things will happen, but I think it is just a left over attitude from the Victorians who were very into 'inner cleanliness' and took all sorts to ensure they were 'regular'. As long as you aren't producing stuff which is like dried up dog biscuit and painful - indicating dehydration and which could lead to constipation, it is OK to be relaxed about it and just let things be as they are.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 1 every day for breakfast. Why would veg affect your stomach? How much is too much? I eat about 6-7 portions a day, including my avocado. Not huge portions either.
My stomach is very sensitive to both carbs and fiber. Certain fiber like from avocado or some nuts is ok but some veggie fiber is too hard to break down. It depends on if it's soluable or insoluable. Also quantity becomes cumulative. I do better eating mostly protein and fat separate from veggies. They all require different enzymes. I'll snack on a few vlc veggies throughout the day. It all kind of stinks as I love veggies but I have found a way to get them in.

I am super carb sensitive as well somtoo many veggies make me hungry. The hardier ones like Brussels sprouts, asparagus or green beans don't digest as quickly either keeping bf lower than salad greens. I don't digest dark leafy greens well either. If not one challenge it's another lol

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some linseed. Might try a little with some youghurt.

I imagine your body is reacting to your new way of eating and may or may not correct itself, given time. As your stools are different to before, it's worth making reference (to yourself, I'm not asking for any details!) to The Bristol Stool Scale.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/poop-chart-bristol-stool-scale

Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's terribly unhealthy.

Good luck with it all.

Edit: To add the url.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I want to know if there's any issues with a LCHF diet and producing healthy stool. Also I have a lot of excess stomach acid it seems, which causes my tummy to rumble a lot. I mentioned before about constipation and taking senokot (don't). While there's no pain or even real discomfort when having a bowel movement but i'm sure it's not as healthy as it should be: a nice solid but not too solid stool. Now it's a bit looser with lots of smaller samples. Is there anything I can do to make sure my movements are healthy and my gut less acidic. Don't know of any connection between acid and stool.

Thanks. Sorry for the...euphemisms, but it is what it is (which is the problem)

It absolutely is what it is, and sometimes it's uncomfortable in all senses. :)

Don't feel you have to produce a stool every day. As has been said very eloquently by other posters, on LCHF you simply don't have the volume of waste. As to the type of stool, it may well depend on what you're eating. If it's changed drastically and for an extended period, it may be worth having the doc investigate. If it's just a matter of the occasional constipation, I find a teaspoon of bicarb soda in warm water works a treat.

It's always worth being careful and keeping an eye on bowel habits. They can be an indication of other probs.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd second the avocado I used to eat toast with avocado and mayo while I was constipated when I was pregnant it was pretty bad

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Stop anything with tomatoes, garlic or onions. That will eliminate acid and allow your stomach to recover...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please be aware of vagus nerve damage and gastroparesis, slow colonic or colonic inertia...

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find 2/3 flax crackers (milled linseed) help and you can have them with all sorts - peanut butter, cheese, avocado, pate, mackerel pate etc I found they gave me stomach ache due to fibre increase for couple of days but then got used to them.

ghost_whistler

Linseed was cheap in HnB and seems to contain a lot of nutrients.

I'll have to figure out how to add it to meals, eating it dry with water seems a bit bland.

Reactions: ickihun