Snack Cravings - Add to the list!...

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I agree with @asparagusp

... If you do want hot chocolate/cocoa, then Green & blacks organic cocoa is good but expensive (about £4). It recommends 4 teaspoons, but I find 2 are enough and that works out at 8g carbs plus milk (according to the label).

If you don't need the fat, use Alpro unsweetened almond milk - zero carbs.

P.s. It's difficult to get this cocoa to melt: best to warm a little milk first, add the cocoa to that and whisk the powder into it (for ages!), before adding the rest of the milk.

Note that Green & Blacks make hot chocolate, but its higher in carbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Planet Organic Ltd - Rawkin Roons . Coconut bite macaroons ! Lovely. 8g carbs per 35g serving, which is probably around 4 or 5 macaroons.

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
Mmmmmm biltong!
Ooo anouther biltong fan here, I've been making my own for a few years now.
Made all sorts from hicory smoked flavour to garlic and coriander even made vennison biltong a few months back.
Repurposed an old cupboard, couple of fans and lightbulb to make a drying cupboard.
Can produce 2kg wet into yummy yummy biltong in 3-5 days humidity and cut dependant.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A few green olives makes a quick nibble if you like them (watch the quantity if you're weight watching), they're filling too because of the oil content.
If I'm away from home and I'm not sure where I'm going to eat I put some in a little sealable pot to have in my bag plus most supermarkets sell them pretty cheap if you're stuck for something v. low carb in an emergency.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really snack but I go through fazes for things - at the minute I love eating baby spinach from the bag like crisps - just got over a radish fettish lol
I am now over my baby spinach phase and now onto cooked cold baby brussel sprouts - love eating them like sweets - little tiny globes of joy!

Reactions: SueJB and Prem51

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Diagnosed Type 2 Jan 17 ,felt like a loco hit me.Now have a average of 5.9 mmol.
I have cut out the beer and believe it or not i don't miss it BUT the crisps and snack craving is a tough one.
Slipping some times having a bag of crisps ,i could eat 3 or 4 so a compromise.
I hear the tubes of Pringles call out to me in the aisles.
Walnuts and pecans are ok ,85% chocolate is ok but it ain,t no Galaxy smooth.
Still have loads of Christmas stuff hanging around ,pure agony.

Last edited:
Reactions: NatJS and Prem51

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have 2 main strategies to stave off the munchies.

I take the dog for a walk.

Or

I play a video game.

If I allow myself to give in to the urges I might not be able to stop. I have a binge eating disorder, so it's too big a risk.

I find distracting myself by walking the dog or playing a video game gets me passed the craving (so far at least).

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am finding pickled mini gherkins and cheese a favourite at the moment. Mini gherkins are wonderfully crunchy and make a change from onions :)

Reactions: MRSROK

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Banana covered in peanut butter ( smooth or crunchy )
Malt loaf ( not to much )
Nairns fine milled oat cakes.
Greek yogurt and blueberries

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Banana covered in peanut butter ( smooth or crunchy )
Malt loaf ( not to much )
Nairns fine milled oat cakes.
Greek yogurt and blueberries
I've not tried bananas and peanut butter, but I can see how they'll go together. M&S have a snack which is a sliced Granny Smith apple and peanut butter, but that just tastes peculiar to me.

I'm a fan of Nairn oat cakes (good for raising BG slowly e.g. at bedtime). I also like your yoghurt and blueberries suggestion.

I used to love malt loaf with lashings of butter (it reminds me of my childhood because it was my late Father's favourite), but now it spikes me too much. Fond memories though!

Reactions: therower
D

Deleted member 308541

Wiping mopping up the last bit of gravy on the plate with a slice of bread. :meh:

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hartleys no added sugar jelly pots with Greek style yoghurt
Cheese, the individual portion ones are handy if travelling
Instead of yoghurt, add some double cream. Yum!

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This may not be to everyone's taste, but I find miso soup a tasty low carb snack. Drink instead of a cuppa!

I use Clearspring sachets which have 2g carbs.

(Check the label as some brands have more than a couple of grams of carbs.)
A spoonful of Marmite in hot water makes a great alternative; I don't care for Miso much.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Black olives, cheese (especially French Comte, Brie and camenbert), walnuts and pecans. I used to eat a lot of peperamis (0.8gms of carbs each) but have got a bit bored with them now. Slices of chorizo, especially if they have some sort of spicy bits like chillis, black pepper, or garlic in them.
Dark chocolate, I particularly like the orange flavoured ones. and of course Oppo icecream.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Prem51 I love your list. Everything is to my taste. My favourite Oppo icecream is the salted caramel.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Prem51 I love your list. Everything is to my taste. My favourite Oppo icecream is the salted caramel.
Mine too. My local Co-Op was selling OPPO at a third off when I went in today, but only had the Mint Choc so I bought one of those.