Diabetes and the British Army?

heppy25

Hi everyone, im new here and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in January this year.

My question is do the British Army allow Type 1's into the service? Ive been on there website and it does say at the bottom that you cant but i dont think they updated the site in a while.

I dont want to fight in the frontline or anything like that. IT and Communications is my sort of stuff.

Thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
A question from the British Army Recruiting website.
http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/howdoijoin/c ... ition.aspx

Do You Have a Medical Condition ?
Unfortunately and understandably, there are many medical conditions that are not compatible with Army service.

So before you apply it's important that you reveal your complete medical history. Please see below for a list of some of the conditions that may make you unsuitable for Army enlistment.

Other Conditions

Loss of spleen (Splenectomy).
Transplanted organs.
Severe allergic reactions and or anaphylaxis requiring adrenaline injection precautions.
Nut allergy.
Circulation problems (e.g. Raynaud's phenomenon or disease).
Diabetes.
Diseases (e.g. glandular or hormonal) requiring long term medication or replacement therapy.

It's clear that it is something that may not be allowed in the Army from that list. If you think that it is different then you should use the contact details to ask them what the current position is. Failing that try the local Army Recruiting Office in your area. I have no idea if the requirements have changed at all. I doubt that it has.

Link to details.
http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/contactus/pages/default.aspx

Ken

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hey my brother is in the army in Germany and he has told me that he has a colleague with Diabetes type 1 so I'd probably question it if you really want to join.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
If you're in the army, you're a soldier.
As a diabetics, we cannot function in such an enviroment and would be a liability. Sorry, but we would be.
Why should the military take you, who could never serve on the frontline, when they could have someone who could?

Just because you're in TI doesn't mean you'll be in england. IT at the frontline is a huge issue.

Hubby is in the RAF.. the forces won't take type 1 diabetics. Sorry.

jopar

My husband was serving in the RAF when he was dignoised with diabetes..

He was given two choices

1, he could remain in the RAF, but this would be behind a desk and not on active duty, this would last until he served he completed his service contract at this point he couldn't extend or stay on..

2, He could choose to take an honnerable medical discharge, lossing both he's time served payment and his pension...

He choose No2, didn't like the idea of being sat behind a desk all day, so took the medical discharge..

He wasn't put onto the reserve list either, and couldn't go into the TA...

MY husband would agree the forces isn't the place for a diabetic

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jopar,

The second choice of those options seems really unfair, on what grounds can they justify taking away his time served payment and pension............... :x

I could understand it if it were a self-inflicted injury or a condition brought on by a life-time of abuse, but not due to diabetes. Outside of the armed forces this would ultimately lead to a claim under the DDA, however as we have discussed here the forces are exempt from this act. What I would like to see is the rules changed where any serving personnel in the forces who are unfortunate to have diabetes or any other condition whilst serving, that they too are entitled to claim under the DDA.

Whether or not someone is a serving in the armed forces or in civvie street, everyone should be entitled to the same basic rights and should be treated respectfully and fairly by their employer!

Nigel

TheSpider

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say that what's the frontline now a days , when in the army most are at risk and that's the reason why . I have heard stories of supply trucks being captured and the driver taking hostage , I bet no one would've said supply driver would be frontline but imagine that person was also type one diabetic ! Sadly it's always been the case no diabetic in any armed force but with good reason and they can't be seen to take certain people in favour of others . Sorry to hear about those being forced out but it's the same in many jobs such as HGV drivers , fire service and police I believe also . When I was diagnosed my diabetic nurse sat me down (25 years ago as a five yr old ) and went through the list . Also as my time as a fighter I also found it impossible to get a licence to box by the British boxing council , anyways good luck :)

I was in 1st Battalion royal Welsh, an infantry regiment , I left in 2012 after 4 years, and in 2020 tried to re join , passed the selection and medical at the time in February , I got me re joinndate but then the 28th March was diagnosed type 1 , to which my application was refused , I do however know someone still serving with type 1 , but they tend to remove you from all tours of duty and field exercises and put you into an admin role behind a desk, but bottom line is , no you cannot join any of the armed forces with diabetes as you are deemed to high risk to be a soldier due to the conditions you have to operate in