Trial libre with one sensor and the app

goji

I am just wondering if any libre users could advise? Could I reasonably trial the libre using a single sensor and downloading the app to my Samsung phone (with NFC)? Would I be missing out on anything important by not buying the reader or is the experience the same?

I don't care about people seeing me in public (I work/study from home) using the phone. It's more that if I buy a single sensor - it will be £50 outlay for the trial whereas if I buy the reader and sensors it will be £140 for the trial. But if not buying the reader means I would be getting a poorer experience of the benefits of the tech then I suppose I could just buy it.

I just want to see if I would find the libre useful for getting my blood sugars under control. I am insulin dependent and my hba1cs have gone from 6s to high 8s this past year as I have been testing less. I was thinking of the Libre as a way to increase my motivation/interest in managing my sugars/diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, but if you have the reader and download the Freestyle app you can export a txt log. This gives you all the 15 minutes readings the sensor has taken in addition to your scans. I'm not sure you can do this without the reader. I don't use a phone at all. I use the reader and a PC. Someone else may know different. I find this log brilliant and can follow all the readings throughout the night and during the day between scans. (I export it to an excel file so I can arrange it to suit me, and add notes.)

goji

As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, but if you have the reader and download the Freestyle app you can export a txt log. This gives you all the 15 minutes readings the sensor has taken in addition to your scans. I'm not sure you can do this without the reader. I don't use a phone at all. I use the reader and a PC. Someone else may know different. I find this log brilliant and can follow all the readings throughout the night and during the day between scans. (I export it to an excel file so I can arrange it to suit me, and add notes.)

Thanks for that information - I decided to go ahead and just buy the starter pack as it would be useful to get the 15 minute readings too!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a trial sensor and reader from Abbott through my dsn, may be worth asking.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I decided to go ahead and just buy the starter pack

I started with the starter pack and then downloaded the app. The first thing I discovered is that once you start with the reader, you can't then use the app until you replace the sensor (makes sense really). I found that the reader scans with no problems, my HTC phone wasn't the most reliable when attempting to scan, maybe other phones are different.

The data available has been invaluable for me.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can use the phone app but you must scan the sensor with your phone within an hour of starting the sensor with the Freestyle reader.
Or use the Glimp app and you can scan any sensor at any time.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi. You can use the phone app but you must scan the sensor with your phone within an hour of starting the sensor with the Freestyle reader.
Or use the Glimp app and you can scan any sensor at any time.
Worth knowing, thank you.

wbinnpton

I have also considered buying one of these and have a few questions about the sensors:
1. Can the sensors be re-used
2. Can the batteries in the sensor be replaced
3. What is their useful life as they seem very expensive.
Thanks
Will