Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a 6 month break from using freestyle libra, due to skin reactions. I used one over Christmas with very little problem, just a slight non-itchy rash. I tried another one at the beginning of Febrary and had to remove it after 3 days, as the itch was unbearable!! The sore it produced was really severe and took 3 weeks to heal. It's about time Abbott sorted this out or at least admitted that it does cause severe skin problems in many people.

Jake2701

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is actually T1. She got Libre in July last year. That's over 15 sensors. Never had any reaction. One sensor stopped working after only 9 days, claiming that its time is finished, and one has dropped out in the shower. But they were promptly replaced by Abbots customer service. Libre gives nice software and capability of recording your carbo and insulin doses.

Edited by a mod to remove links

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
I use skintack wipes as I work in a dusty hot environment and they were falling off but the glue stays on forever! I believe there is a counter wipe but can't remember the name.

Reactions: megan

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you supposed to leave them on for? Can you take it off and reapply it whenever you want?

Jake2701

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you supposed to leave them on for? Can you take it off and reapply it whenever you want?
Libre sensor has 14 days fixed period of operation. It even tells you before it ends, how many hours you got left. It comes with special applicator, and once started, you cannot stop it. It does measure your glucose every 15mins ( looked at the file it creates), and meter shows you chart how your glucose changes in time. You get really good view how your blood sugar changes through the day.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.

I'm on my second sensor and sice the 3th day of the first one I have allergic reactions to the glue - the region around the sensor is very soared, presenting redness, itching and small bubbles. Since I live in Brazil, I don't know if I can find these products, but I'll try to find them.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6 months in, horrendous reaction. Had to take the last one off after Two days. Gutted!

asnjhaley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found the libre fantastic. I started, after a few sensors, to get some itchy redness. I was reluctant to give up on the libre as it was so good for my diabetic management. I read many fora that suggested applying over various plasters, so I persisted, as things got progressively worse. Eventually my whole body reacted. I was covered in allergic eczema. At the site of my sensor was a weeping red wound. My hands and feet were covered in blisters and my thighs became ulcerated and infected, taking four courses of antibiotics to regain control. I had to be tested to establish what my reaction was to. This was done at Salford Royal Hospital. They found that my primary reaction was to Colophonium (pine resin)used in most plasters, including plasters I had tried as a barrier, such as Compede. In my persistence in using the libre over plasters, I had failed to take into consideration that, virtually all medical adhesives, contain Colophonium, to improve adhesion. I had sent my body into a form of allergic shock, risking anaphylactic shock, according to my GP. I had also triggered allergic reactions to many other substances including parfumerie, limonene, cinnemal, citrus peel, and dozens of other substances. Over twelve months on since using my last sensor I am still weeping from my nipples and suffering from severe eczema, which is for good. I informed Abbot, to alert them to the risk, but they offered no positive help. The only medical tape that appears free from Colophonium is Scanpore tape.

Last edited:

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I had a break from the Libre due to constant scan errors, bad adhesion (everyone fell off) and basically became disillusioned with them. I reapplied one and again after 10 days it came unstuck, despite using Cavilon spray and also Skintac wipe. The picture is the result of 10 days use....
b640d0f3d79f58d7833378342a216859.jpg

Alan_Flett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looks familiar! Mine looked even worse! They sometimes looked as though they were actively eating through my skin and into my arm! I have mentioned this to Abbott, to no avail. As soon as something else becomes available, it’s bye bye to Abbott. This is a massive issue that they are aware of, and I don’t understand how they can not be addressing it.

They only way I can wear the things these days is to do the following:

Punch a hole through a Compeed plaster using a single paper punch.
Apply SkinTac to the area the Compeed will sit on
Apply the Compeed
Very carefully align the sensor needle to the hole
Insert needle
Wrap arm and sensor with kinetic tape (stretchy stuff physios use for strapping muscles and joints).

That makes it wearable. Still some itch sometimes; the the bit where the hole has been is raised and weeping sometimes.

God knows what they have in their adhesive!

Like I said, as soon as something else becomes available...

Alan

Reactions: Carlton1512

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alan-Flett if you get a reaction at the filament site it will be the chemical on the filament.

Alan_Flett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It isn't the filament. It is the vapours coming off of the adensive causing a less severe, but nevertheless still bad, reaction. Basically, the skin left unprotected by the Compeed plaster (where the hole is - it is the size of a normal paper punch hole), is all red and inflamed.

A.

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here. Over 2 years of use and no skin reaction, thank goodness.

Emj185

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.
I’ve had a couple of minor reactions, but I’m not sure if it’s from the sensor or more from the removal. I tend to try remove the actual sensor from the glue and then remove the glue in the bath/shower which seems to help a bit

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been on the libre for the last three months,the only problem is the bruise left after pulling of the senser after 14 days other than that no problems and getting better control Type 1 for the last 55 years

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a bit of itchy ness and redness but I tried applying a couple of puffs of my brown (Clenil modulite )inhaler to my arm and let it dry before applying sensor. Strangely it seems to help . I also take daily anti histamine cetirizine or Loratadine tablet.

vfxMonkey1985

Did anyone hear if Abbott is dealing with this issue?

I tried to send them an email and will see if someone gets in touch.

Same thing just happened to me few days back - my sensor detached leaving a red area with blisters. Never have had any allergic reaction and seems I'm experiencing the same as other users here. Got worse with every new sensor :(

Super gutted as this would be such a great product otherwise ...