The Power of Positivity

K

Kat100

Anyone else tried journaling? Specifically, recording "gratitudes": ideally three a day.

You can obviously use a diary, but I've being using the "5 minute journal" app on my phone because I'm a geek and I like the daily reminders, tips and quote of the day. Here's an example (for today):

daefdfd6a7ce2c9d9aaf15d6a4f04eef.jpg

I haven't got the hang of the daily affirmation (I'm supposed to say all the reasons why I'm so wonderful, but I don't feel it's a very British or a manly thing to say, let alone repeat).

At the end of the day, I'll complete the "3 amazing things that happened today" section.
excellent x

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Got through this week's ofsted inspection OK :), also another teaching observation. Had fab brunch with friend this lunchtime in lovely Italian caff where we pretend to speak Italian and the nice waiters pretend to understand us!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Anyone else tried journaling? Specifically, recording "gratitudes": ideally three a day.

You can obviously use a diary, but I've being using the "5 minute journal" app on my phone because I'm a geek and I like the daily reminders, tips and quote of the day. Here's an example (for today):

daefdfd6a7ce2c9d9aaf15d6a4f04eef.jpg

I haven't got the hang of the daily affirmation (I'm supposed to say all the reasons why I'm so wonderful, but I don't feel it's a very British or a manly thing to say, let alone repeat).

At the end of the day, I'll complete the "3 amazing things that happened today" section.

Yea, I write a daily journal ofpositives only..only my own way of doing things. Just saw a lovely diary and thought I could make it my positive only journey.

It does help me enormously. I write jyst once a day but it makes me realise I can look brighter at even negatives.

I really believe now that our thoughts are only thoughts, it is the actions that you take from them which are real...
So writing down my thoughts the actions can be positive!!

I met a lady today that 18 months ago was hiven 3 months to live. She is not having any treatment, just pain killers... she absolutely shone... her skin waant grey she had real brightness to her outer appearance and to her inner positiveness. She is truly remarkable.
It made me more determined to find positives every day.

Just picking out a positive to stick on my hall way mirror each Friday is nice when I pass by.. written on heart shape post it notes I can see genuinely how mood has increased since doing this. Its not that things have been brilluant each week... some things would seem quite pathetic to others.. but it all works for me..

D

debrasue

Thats brilliant positives!! Doris!!
I've had so many positives this week I cant list them all.

However the biggest is:

This has been the best week in 18 months since my cancer diagnosis..

Feeling fabulous and brilliant!!!
Long may it continue, honey - you are living proof of the power of positivity and it's a privilege to read your amazing and uplifting posts!

:):):):):)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got through this week's ofsted inspection OK :), also another teaching observation. Had fab brunch with friend this lunchtime in lovely Italian caff where we pretend to speak Italian and the nice waiters pretend to understand us!

Like that "pretend to speak Italian".....I can imagine that!!

I love the haribo advert on tv that has the adults speaking like children. I'm dying to do that at some point.. not the haribo... just the kidding talking silly like.. what a wonderful excuse to be silly for a while..

Reactions: asparagusp

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Been on first bus where I live!! Saw places I neverknew existed and sat up to looking in to peoples gardens!!

Lovely calm day around Peterborough Cathedral. Beautiful, beautiful place.
Well done @donnellydogs, anywhere good for a cuppa? Is there a caff in the cathedral?

Reactions: 13lizanne

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No caf in the cath!!

Nice ones in JL or M&S though!!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of old (as in long-term; they're a bit younger than me :eek:) and very dear friends are driving up from Devon this morning to meet up with us. We're all then driving over to have lunch with two long-term mutual friends, one of whom is not at all well, but it should still be nice.

I've mentioned the guy before - he's the one who was badly handicapped by a benign brain tumour a few years back and is now very (probably terminally) ill with oesophageal cancer. Not very positive, I suppose, but I try to regard the times that we see him as a celebration of our 40 years of friendship, and days that I will look back on in future as a reminder of the great times we had (many of them, it must be admitted, in pubs and bars ;)).

He's been having radiotherapy recently, in the hope that it will give him a bit more time, for he and his wife to spend some time in the sun, on a Med cruise, but consequently he's feeling a bit rubbish at the moment.

Nevertheless, I cherish all of these times together. Later on, we will all watch Saints (probably) get beaten by Man U on the telly in the League Cup Final. On a positive note, in the meantime, we're going to Wember-lee :D

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
My positive moment is a bit small but ! My son's new keyworker is a lovely woman who my son adores. Hurrah! It could have been so different :)
Catching up with the posts here today and what an uplifting bunch you all are. Positivity triumphing over adversity. Yeah!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Odd to some people but I'm finally up to a size 10!! Yaaaay!!
Hubby got my jeans unpacked from the loft after 16 months of really struggling to put some weight on..may not have all my top half but my bottom half has finally returned to having a bit of roundness and comfort!!! Chuffed to bits...

My thanks have to go to my cancer thrapy unit that have seen me through so much. RH is abbreviation of my cancer therapy unit... nothing to do with the slice, dice n fry that the cancer surgeons and nurses did....my positive thought for today..

So heres my poem to them!!

Tears of sorrow have turned
to tears of laughter
Now new ways have been learned
The journey has been hard
But my emotions
are no longer scarred
The staff are wonderful
Their individual care superb
Now my life is more colourful
Their care exceeds excellent
For me to laugh and smile again
I am a good living testament
To all at RH Centre
And their wonderful care.
Beautiful x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My positive moment is a bit small but ! My son's new keyworker is a lovely woman who my son adores. Hurrah! It could have been so different :)
Catching up with the posts here today and what an uplifting bunch you all are. Positivity triumphing over adversity. Yeah!

Doesnt it male a difference to have found a lovely keyworker for your son!
Thats a huge positive!!

My positive today is that I managed to make pancake mixture!! Had a pancake myself!! (May regret it tomorrow!!-lol) and had excess muxture to give a single almost 80 gentleman across the road.... he makes himself a dinner each day, so nice to offer him a pud...

Trying to get home sorted out ready to have my 2nd mastectomy, so a bit too chaotic to ask him across to have with us!!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Janiept

Expert
I went for an MRI scan this morning and was absolutely terrified while I was in there, but suddenly from nowhere a wave of gratitude washed over me............grateful for living in a country where we have access to healthcare that cares for you, even on Sunday! Wonderful staff, wonderful system :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Our eldest daughter and family came to stay this weekend, including our granddaughter (nearly 3 yr old).

Highlights included:
* her doodling on an art app on my iPad: she kept looking at her finger as if wondering how it had acquired magic powers to draw and make noises
* hugging and kissing everyone when it was time to leave, including our dog (who wanted none of it) and (bizarrely) a coffee table

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Our eldest daughter and family came to stay this weekend, including our granddaughter (nearly 3 yr old).

Highlights included:
* her doodling on an art app on my iPad: she kept looking at her finger as if wondering how it had acquired magic powers to draw and make noises
* hugging and kissing everyone when it was time to leave, including our dog (who wanted none of it) and (bizarrely) a coffee table

Oh that coffee table really needed a kiss!!! Brilliant!!

IMG_1488131726.018318.jpg

Colour started in borders.... Some are artificial though due to cats!! Some real!!