Poor 6 Monthly Results & Very Worried

johnoo

I'm now at the point that I've seen my nurse & she says keep the medication as is.
But after Supper my BS is still reducing to Hypo levels.
So from tomorrow I'm going to try this
B/Fast Fry up, as usual
Lunch:- Fruit, I used to have this but this last week have been having Meat/Fish/salad
Supper :- Meat/Veg but no potatoes
Any comments/advise?

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I'm OK for Breakfast, generally have a "Fry" or Kippers with eggs.
Reason, I know that cereals & Porridge send my sugar sky high.
Problem I think is Lunch:-
I tend to have 5 or 6 pieces of fruit:- Apple/Pear/banana then two prunes & a Fig
Is this bad??

Hi @johnoo, not sure 5 or 6 pieces of fruit in one go would be a good idea! Try some berries with full fat plain yoghurt, or a little peanut butter on a couple of rough oat biscuits and a small sliced banana. Chopped avocado or cold chicken and mixed salad with lovely olive oil dressing. Smoked mackerel and watercress with a toasted high protein roll ( Lidl ) and butter. Loads of lunch combinations to think of :happy:. Good luck

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How many hypo levels have you had since starting low carb? How low have you been, and how do you feel at this time?

If it is regular and you made sure your nurse knew all the details, I think she is being a bit short sighted. What I would do is test before you go to bed. If you are going too low, eat a biscuit or three to raise your levels. What you don't want to do is go to bed low..

I'm not sure eating fruit at lunch time is going to help with evening and night time lows. I would just stick to normal personally, but test, test, test to check those levels are not hypo. (generally under 4) If they are, eat something to raise them.

If it keeps happening you need to go back to the surgery and see again about reducing the medication.

I've had another think about this and think you should ring the nurse or even the GP sooner rather than later, and discuss matters further. Hypos are not good.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hypod all the time on glib. So happy to see it go!! It just randomly gave me insulin. No rhyme or reason. I'd hypo then hyper. Felt awful.

I completely agree with short sightedness!! Your body knows more than your nurse IMO. But best to check in.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest, what happens to your after meal blood glucose if you 'forget' a gliclazide tablet after a meal?

To be clear: I am not suggesting you stop taking prescribed medication without medical advice.

But we all forget the odd tablet, don't we? We are humans. And when that happens, what happens to your blood glucose?

johnoo

To answer questions posed:-
1 Number of Hypo's since Low Carb. approx 5, how do I feel in Hypo state:- Sweaty & shaking.
2 Yes I did advise the nurse of all details. I had a Spread Sheet of all results/details of actions taken in Hypo situation. She even praised we on the details supplied.
3 My forward action today:- I'm going to keep to the Low carb. Lunch, Meat + Salad & then I just might "forget" to take the Gliclazide tablet this evening. I will test 2 hours after Supper & then just before bed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer questions posed:-
1 Number of Hypo's since Low Carb. approx 5, how do I feel in Hypo state:- Sweaty & shaking.
2 Yes I did advise the nurse of all details. I had a Spread Sheet of all results/details of actions taken in Hypo situation. She even praised we on the details supplied.
3 My forward action today:- I'm going to keep to the Low carb. Lunch, Meat + Salad & then I just might "forget" to take the Gliclazide tablet this evening. I will test 2 hours after Supper & then just before bed.

Please keep us updated. :)

johnoo

Said I would come back with results, here they are.
To recap, after change of diet BS fell after Supper from average of 6.0 before to 3.5, 2 hours after with further declines by bedtime countered by sweet biscuits.
Nurse did not agree with cutting out evening Glicazide tablet.
So for two nights I have "forgotten" to take the evening Glicazide!
Results, having had our normal Supper type meals:-
Friday BS before Supper 6.2, 2 hours after Supper 6.8 & at 22:00 8.0
Saturday BS before Supper 5.0, 2 hours after Supper 5.6 & at 22:00 4.9
After this 4.9 bedtime reading I had a sweet biscuit.
Therefore proof,( in my mind) that the evening Gliclazide should be stopped with medical approval.
Agree?
One question, was I wrong in having a biscuit after a 4.9 bedtime reading & are there other ways to counter this.
I intend to " forget" to take the Glicazide again this evening

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To recap, after change of diet BS fell after Supper from average of 6.0 before to 3.5, 2 hours after with further declines by bedtime countered by sweet biscuits.
Therefore proof,( in my mind) that the evening Gliclazide should be stopped with medical approval.
Agree?
One question, was I wrong in having a biscuit after a 4.9 bedtime reading & are there other ways to counter this.
In my experience it takes a few days for Gliclazide to leave the system entirely (they affected my insulin ratios for 3 days even after I stopped taking them). If you're still taking it during the day your test results might be influenced by those doses.

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Agree?

Does seem a little counter intuitive being diabetic and eating sweet biscuits so you can continue to take a medication... But what do I know, I'm not a Doctor...

Magz2004

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Read the Fast Diet and the 8 week blood sugar diet both Michael Mosley also Hirizon focus on BBC iplayer.... they will change your life.

My out of control 110 hba1c is already down to 77 after 2 months

johnoo

Does seem a little counter intuitive being diabetic and eating sweet biscuits so you can continue to take a medication... But what do I know, I'm not a Doctor...
I agree with Helga, it does seem to be wrong to have a sweet biscuit when you are diabetic.
But what should I do? See my full post #69, where stopping Gliclazine when on low carb. has reduced the problem of going into Hypo condition.
But was I wrong to counter the 4.9 bedtime reading or should I have just gone to bed & slept?

M

ME_Valentijn

I agree with Helga, it does seem to be wrong to have a sweet biscuit when you are diabetic.
But what should I do? See my full post #69, where stopping Gliclazine when on low carb. has reduced the problem of going into Hypo condition.
But was I wrong to counter the 4.9 bedtime reading or should I have just gone to bed & slept?
I think she was saying the nurse is probably wrong to keep you on a drug you don't need, especially since you have to compensate for its effects by eating extra food :p

johnoo

I think she was saying the nurse is probably wrong to keep you on a drug you don't need, especially since you have to compensate for its effects by eating extra food :p
But it still does not answer the base question which was should, with a bedtime reading of 4.9,I have put extra sugar into my body?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But it still does not answer the base question which was should, with a bedtime reading of 4.9,I have put extra sugar into my body?

Only you can answer this one as we don't live in your body.........on the other hand if it had been me I would have had 1 biccy as I know that 4.9 is too low for me.......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't know, and I doubt anyone else does. 4.9 isn't low, it is normal, but it may have been on a downward trend and gone much lower later on. Only you can judge that. Maybe your answer is to test a few times during the night to see what is happening? In most of us our livers take care of any over night lows and keep us nice and stable, but with your medication that may not happen.

I would say better safe than sorry and eat that one plain biscuit. Then keep "forgetting" your tablet for a few more days and write everything down, then re-visit your nurse with written comparisons between taking the tablet and not taking it.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

johnoo

I don't know, and I doubt anyone else does. 4.9 isn't low, it is normal, but it may have been on a downward trend and gone much lower later on. Only you can judge that. Maybe your answer is to test a few times during the night to see what is happening? In most of us our livers take care of any over night lows and keep us nice and stable, but with your medication that may not happen.

I would say better safe than sorry and eat that one plain biscuit. Then keep "forgetting" your tablet for a few more days and write everything down, then re-visit your nurse with written comparisons between taking the tablet and not taking it.
Bluetit/Satin Doll, Thanks just what I wanted, guidance.
I'm going to "forget" the Gliclazide for a few more days then consult the medical team.

Reactions: Brunneria