metformin and Liver / gallbladder

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all

I went to the docs last week , slow shifting cold, and some tummy discomfort.

After a little poking, and after taking an arm full of blood, they think I may have a swollen liver from taking metformin, or may have gallbladder issues .

Has anyone else had problems with their liver / gallbladder, when taking metformin ?

I did have gallstones a few years back, so hopefully it is that again , but worried, as doc was more concerned about my liver, as I am now on 4 metformin tablets a day.

I

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all

I went to the docs last week , slow shifting cold, and some tummy discomfort.

After a little poking, and after taking an arm full of blood, they think I may have a swollen liver from taking metformin, or may have gallbladder issues .

Has anyone else had problems with their liver / gallbladder, when taking metformin ?

I did have gallstones a few years back, so hopefully it is that again , but worried, as doc was more concerned about my liver, as I am now on 4 metformin tablets a day.

I
Please make sure your doctor takes this seriously. Ask if he thinks you might have fatty liver and if so ask for a scan to confirm. You can help yourself by reducing salt intake, look at low carb diet and increasing exercise particularly strength and weight training as well as walking. Also tight control of your diabetes. I knew for several years that I had fatty liver but doctor told me not to worry they would keep an eye on it. So I didn't worry, I took no action. I now have cirrhosis, diagnosed last month. I am devastated and angry. So please, help yourself and hopefully you won't go down the terrifying path I am now on. Good luck.

Reactions: kpol2016

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please make sure your doctor takes this seriously. Ask if he thinks you might have fatty liver and if so ask for a scan to confirm. You can help yourself by reducing salt intake, look at low carb diet and increasing exercise particularly strength and weight training as well as walking. Also tight control of your diabetes. I knew for several years that I had fatty liver but doctor told me not to worry they would keep an eye on it. So I didn't worry, I took no action. I now have cirrhosis, diagnosed last month. I am devastated and angry. So please, help yourself and hopefully you won't go down the terrifying path I am now on. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Going for a scan next week, just waiting for appointment to be confirmed.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Blood results came back , everything seems ok, just waiting for scan next week. They think it is gallstones 1