To pancake or not to pancake ? That is the question.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never found them remotely appetising, and given you have to smother them in sugary syrup or other sweet stuff to make them edible then no i'll be giving them a miss.

Esther444

Banana pancakes - 2 small bananas 2 small eggs - makes about 5/6 pancakes. 5/6 g carbs each pancake. Go on....spoil yourself

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes. I practised on Sunday :)
I made some Oopsie bread and kept half of the mixture to one side.
Added a tablespoon of ground almonds. half a tablespoon of coconut flour. some sucralose sweetener and a little vanilla essence. Hot frying pan with olive oil .. they needed spreading in the pan a bit but were awesome.. much nicer than the flour type.. I'll be having them with whipped lemon cream.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did think of trying them made with Chickpea flour[Gram flour]I think it is less carby than wheat flour

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
@gunner10 , today I had the bright idea of starting a thread asking for everyone's favourite pancake recipe (whether low-carb or not). So thanks for doing that for me! This has provided several useful links in one place without the need to surf all over.
Me? I'll be having my favourite @ewelina ones, though no longer with nutella, banana and squirty cream.

D

Deleted member 308541

It's Shrove Tuesday AKA Pancake day here in the UK tomorrow. :)
Thanks for the info, and it's Tuesday as I post this, it's also the last day of summer.

Thankfully we do not like pancakes, so we will not celebrate Shrove Tuesday whatever that is.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Banana pancakes - 2 small bananas 2 small eggs - makes about 5/6 pancakes. 5/6 g carbs each pancake. Go on....spoil yourself

Ahhh thank you kindly but no. You see I just don't like them that's it, I've never liked them and to be honest I've never had a sweet tooth for sugar or syrup either. I guess you could say i'm a chocolate person but even if they were covered in that I would not enjoy them. I used to have a banana for breakfast up until a few months ago but realised it spiked my BG so given them up. But please do enjoy your pancake day whatever you decide to eat them with :)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not unless I can work out how to make them out of cauliflower.
Oh - there's a thought.
I could try using the Bamix grinder to convert desiccated coconut into a flour - three eggs, to hold the air -
I'm sure there has to be some way to make something with at least a passing resemblance to a pancake.

I saw a recipe on this website I think using almond flour instead of normal flour, also using baking soda,

Reactions: nomoredonuts

norbitonite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to be trying this recipe for the crêpes, with summer berries and whipped cream for the filling, or chocolate ganache for those who prefer.

http://www.sweetashoney.co/french-crepe-recipe-almond-flour-whipped-coconut-cream-low-carb/
Well, that was a huge thumbs up from the family.

Used thawed Everyday Value summer berries from Tesco with lightly whipped double cream as a filling and it was yummy. I also added some melted butter to the uncooked batter to enrich it.

Reactions: daisyduck

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I knew I should have checked @ewelina 's blog first.

I've just had some very filling almond flour based ones which were OK, but a bit stodgy.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes. I practised on Sunday :)
I made some Oopsie bread and kept half of the mixture to one side.
Added a tablespoon of ground almonds. half a tablespoon of coconut flour. some sucralose sweetener and a little vanilla essence. Hot frying pan with olive oil .. they needed spreading in the pan a bit but were awesome.. much nicer than the flour type.. I'll be having them with whipped lemon cream.

They were great ! I'm totally stuffed. I could only eat 2. Thought that some thing that tasted so good must have played havoc with my BG.. but no.. looks like these are a keeper

Before 5.7
45 mins after 5.2
90 mins after 6.2 (after evening power walk ) ??

17022020_1311429068934725_5231714426295331539_n.jpg

Last edited:

dipsydo

I am just so pleased as I found a little cafe which did pancakes today, so I had a cheese and mushroom omelette and then two thin pancakes (just lemon and no sugar) and they were so good and reminded me of my late mother's pancakes. I did 2 mile walk afterwards and my post meal bloods were 5.3 . It has so raised my spirits .. but back to to plough tomorrow.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
File_000.jpeg
Tried in vain to post this last night - so here you go, I'm showing you at breakfast time instead!

Thanks @ewelina for the recipe!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
This is my way of sticking two fingers up to my diabetes!
@ewelina pancakes coming in at 3.8g of carbs. Equally good with ham/cottage cheese or peanut butter and slivers of banana.
pancakes.jpg

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done well with pumpkin pancakes vs. buttermilk. I make sure to drop a bit of cinnamon on it too.

Reactions: Snapsy