Sweeteners - any ideas?

Old_Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of sweeteners or sugar replacements have you tried and with what results?
Thanks.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually use saccharin and/or sucralose and they don't affect my values one bit. I've had 'sugarfree' chocolate before that contains maltitol, which didn't really affect me much, but is known to cause rapid rises in blood glucose in others.

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
I use 'Stevia' which does not spike my sugar levels. It's made from a plant so there's no chemicals!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never found sweeteners in any sugar free stuff has not suited me but some say they do upset their tummy. I only use Stevia at home if I need a bit of sweetness on frozen fruit I use pure Stevia some use Truvia and I think that has other sweetener as well as Stevia in it

Last edited:

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I use Stevia too - Aldi do a powdered form which you can use in baking and also there are tablets for your tea/coffee. Not expensive.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweeteners don't seem to affect my BS or my tummy, but I have never found one that doesn't just taste disgusting to me, so I end up going without sweet stuff rather than use a sugar substitute.

Old_Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks people - funny that no body mentioned birch bark (erythritol) so am I the only one?

JPonter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I use erythritol too. Less laxative effect and no calories
I just ordered some erythritol too for cooking, might use it in my morning tea too. Currently using sucralose which is fine on my levels :)

Old_Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your swift replies. Looks like I'll be sticking to that then.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've tried various sweeteners and now use Splenda in tea and coffee which for me tastes best, it contains Sucralose.
I use Xylitol for baking, but that's toxic for dogs.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find sucralose best for cooking. I didn't like the aftertaste of Stevia. Haven't tried erythritol yet though. so I'll be looking out for that.

Reactions: themotherof

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stop eating sweet things then your taste will change, things will taste much sweeter so you need to use less than advised in recipes.
I've been unable to eat 'special' low carb foods as they were sickeningly sweet.