Omnipod Locations

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have been browsing both here and the web and I keep getting thrown to which rotation plan to use. So I thought I would ask for a consensus. You don't have to be Omnipod veterans.

Background is I am squeamish to try new sites (wimp when it comes to all things medical to be honest). My legs are too lean, in fact I am too lean in general and there is no chub under most places which makes me extra paranoid about hitting a muscle or even worse bone! @himtoo mentioned somewhere that he went down his back, is that lower back or whole back, and how! Arent your shoulder blades and/ or rear ribs in the way.

So back of arms between the two muscles and belly are used for both omnipod and dexcom, the dexcom is good cos it give one site a good 3 week break from use. I have used my lower back/ top of bum once or twice and that was ok (apart from sleeping) and used what can be called a love handle once which was ok. I haven't tried my legs but whenever I give it a pinch it is literally skin then muscle so I am not sure about this one.

Anyway thats locations which I need help on, but also frequency. I rotate each site completely (right left right left) but I read on here that some people work through the site, right arm x 8 then left x 8 and so on to give the site a long break. Is this a good plan compared to swopping completely? My logic cant figure out if its good to infuse constantly in one area then long break, or little and often so it doesn't bombard a site but also a good amount of break (min 5 sites in rotation).

So question one is site location for lean people and what rotation is best.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use the Omnipod but I do use my thighs for sites and they work well. I'm pretty slim but I haven't had problems apart from with the occasional set like you'd get anywhere. I can't use my arms as they're too skinny.

Tagging @noblehead and @catapillar for you

For rotation, I use a body area eg thighs, and then go from left leg to right leg, left to, right, etc, moving down my thigh as I go in a zig zag pattern. For my bum, I use left side, then right. I use the same body area for a few months until it starts to 'run out', signalled to me by slightly higher sugars. I then move to a new body area.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't have any particular plan when it comes to site rotation, but I've tried using the legs with poor results so leave them well alone, I find the sides are great for placing the Pods and get a great absorption rate too, but maybe that's because I never injected into that area when on MDI.

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any particular rotation plan. I just stick it somewhere I know I haven't just had a pod. Anywhere that seems vaguely handy at that moment. I'm not fussy. I've not used my arms much because I didn't get good absorption when I have used them. I'm trying to use my my torso at the moment so I can keep my pod under a body warmer when exercising outside (otherwise it was getting too cold and failing) but there's lots of choice on belly, chest, down my sides and lower back. I've seen people use their shoulders but not tried that and I'm not convinced on comfort (although I do have terrible posture).

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my current pod is about an inch below my ribcage on my left side about 3 inches left of belly button.
my last pod was turned the opposite direction ( cannula direction ) and about 2 inches below ribcage.

my next pod change tomorrow I am planning to do this same rotation on my right side.

I will then go back to the left at 3 inches down and so forth.

I use arms very regularly too .
I use the area know as love handles on the sides and they work well too.

I have not been happy with thighs so far -- but I will give them another go in the future.

tfishuk

I started putting the pods at the top of my arms about 9 months ago and it seems to be working fine for me, I alternate between arms every three days. I do occasionally use stomach area but that's were I put my Dexcom CGM .

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changing my pod tonight so I thought I would wait to respond and see what consensus we reach... which was! Rigorous planned rotations are not required. Ill try a few more places and leave my legs alone like @noblehead and @himtoo do, as I don't fancy them and think they are chubless. I will use my similar left right left right routine similar to @azure.

Reactions: azure and noblehead