Book_woorm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody had problems with poor quality of the needles they have been supplied??

As a Type 1 Diabetic I'm injecting 4 to 5 times a day alongside carb counting and adjusting ratios to activity levels. The surgery is now insisting that I change to GlucoRx Finepoint needles because they are cheaper for the NHS to buy than the BD Micro Fine ones I normally get (this is the second time they have wanted to change what is prescribed, the first time they just suggested I change). I've had the GlucoRX ones before and several times I had to throw that type of needle away because the actual tube of the hypodermic had come through the side of the inner protective cap AS SUPPLIED! I told both the pharmacist and the surgery about the problem and went back to the BD ones. On a couple of occasions I've even torn the skin on the end of my finger because I did not see the tip of the needle sticking through the inner cap before I tried to take it off.

I'm thinking that if people have just thrown badly made needles away rather than complain about the quality of these products that come from China then the NHS will be making false economies because more will have to be prescribed to make up for the wastage.

So to all of you in the community what has been your experience, did I just get a couple of bad batches or is there a systemic problem with GlucoRx Finepoint needles?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was changed from BD to GlucoRX 3 years ago and have never had a problem. That one where you said the needle came thru the inner sleeve makes we wonder whether it was a rip-off product?

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I use 4 mm pen fine classic made in Switzerland. Love the little white needle protection cap that fits when my pen cover is on. Before I was using those Braun rubbish ones.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi book_woorm I tried the glucose Rx needles last year because I use there BG meter glucorx nexus I thought I'd try there needles and give it a go trial period so I actually bought some as I use ypsomed and didn't want to change my prescription big mistake with my usual needles I rarely feel a thing but the glucorx ones seemed to always hurt more needle size was the same so I phoned glucorx spoke to adviser explained what was happening all she said it might have been a bad batch and to stop using them what a waste of money PS tried to get her to send me another box free and give it another go she said no way we are not a charity nice people?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same sort of thing and was unilaterally put on the those by my surgery.
I did complain and eventually got my DSN involved and the GP eventually changed back to the BD which I never had issue with.

The thing is that they shouldn't really go changing you over like that unless they have a clinical reason and I really would get your DSN to write them a letter to get you switched back.

A

Reactions: azure

NewlyT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah they really shouldnt be changing your needles like that with no sound reason for doing so.

Bullet999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anybody had problems with poor quality of the needles they have been supplied??

As a Type 1 Diabetic I'm injecting 4 to 5 times a day alongside carb counting and adjusting ratios to activity levels. The surgery is now insisting that I change to GlucoRx Finepoint needles because they are cheaper for the NHS to buy than the BD Micro Fine ones I normally get (this is the second time they have wanted to change what is prescribed, the first time they just suggested I change). I've had the GlucoRX ones before and several times I had to throw that type of needle away because the actual tube of the hypodermic had come through the side of the inner protective cap AS SUPPLIED! I told both the pharmacist and the surgery about the problem and went back to the BD ones. On a couple of occasions I've even torn the skin on the end of my finger because I did not see the tip of the needle sticking through the inner cap before I tried to take it off.

I'm thinking that if people have just thrown badly made needles away rather than complain about the quality of these products that come from China then the NHS will be making false economies because more will have to be prescribed to make up for the wastage.

So to all of you in the community what has been your experience, did I just get a couple of bad batches or is there a systemic problem with GlucoRx Finepoint needles?

Bullet999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been told by my GP nurse that the local CCG have insisted all diabetics are given the GlucoRX needles and I cannot be changed even if they are damaging my arms legs and stomach. It's got to the point that I am buying my own needles on the black market. The CCG should be ashamed of them selves puts money before safety and we'll being.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told by my GP nurse that the local CCG have insisted all diabetics are given the GlucoRX needles and I cannot be changed even if they are damaging my arms legs and stomach. It's got to the point that I am buying my own needles on the black market. The CCG should be ashamed of them selves puts money before safety and we'll being.
If Your Doctor/Nurse Cant or wont change them Go and Complain to your Local MP I once many years ago had a problem with the Gas Board and I went to my MPs surgery and he wrote 1 Letter to the Gas Board and they solved my problem within days If this is an experience being had by all diabetics all go to your MP or write or email and it will get them to write raise the issue with the department of health use the PEOPLE POWER if they do not know there is a problem how can they help solve it

Unless they are diabetic they will not read this forum its their JOB to help you

Last edited: