Unexpected Hypo

syntaxed

I was diagnosed with type 2 five weeks ago. I've been pretty happy with my progress so far, and my BG levels have mostly been between 5 and 7 recently. I take two metformin in the morning and two in the evening, and I've never gone lower than 5.

Today, however, threw me a curveball. An hour and a half after a late breakfast I was at 9.5 (still experimenting with different breakfast options and not always getting it right - I was giving weetabix another shot today).

I decided to go out for a walk - nothing strenuous, I probably wasn't out much longer than half an hour. When I got back in, I started feeling really terrible, and my readings had dropped to 2.6. Cue some panicked drinking of fruit juice and me spending the next few hours gradually recovering. Not pleasant!

I don't understand how I could possibly have hypoed. All of the above is often my morning routine, and I can't figure it out at all. I'll be talking to my doctor about this later in the week, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with inexplicable hypos whilst Type 2.

Lynne C

Hi, your Hypo is not unusual, unfortunately. Different cereals followed by walking or other exercise can be enough to make your blood sugar drop, just be aware of the symptoms and never go out without taking a cereal bar or some sweets with you just in case. I have Type 1 diabetes and have been caught out by an Eat Natural cereal and a Dorset Cereals Granola that has honey in it. I ate both cereals twice and had really bad fast hypos each time so I've given them a miss now.

It's trial and error but if you are feeling hypo either coca cola (not diet) or lucozade work fastest, the bubbles help it to get into your blood stream faster but it still takes about 15 minutes to get you back to normal.

Good luck!