Hanging my head in shame

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed type 2 nearly 2 years ago, I got off to a complete flier.
Switched to a LCHF diet, lost loads of weight, took plenty exercise and felt great......but now, I've fallen off the wagon and back to feeling feeling sluggish, mainly because I'm eating rubbish I shouldn't be touching.
I need a new BG monitor, my old one has given up the ghost, once I see those figures in black and white again, reality will kick in, so what kind of monitor (and strips) do you good people advise me to look at?
Thanks in advance

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back @MissPooh
For ones with cheap strips either sd codfree or the newer Tee2

sd codefree
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
discount codes for the strips
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Tee2
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
Meter is free as are accessories.

I've been using the sd codefree for a while but have just got the Tee2 as people on here were talking about it. Both give me similar readings. Not much to choose between them.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @MissPooh
I can confirm what @Hiitsme has said above. I have been using the SD Codefree and TEE2 meters for comparative purposes for a few days now .. there has never been any significant variation between the readings from both. I have not tried the meter on the new Type 2 Testing Programme - see website at: https://www.type2testing.com but I guess that there will be little difference ... my personal preference is the TEE2. The actual costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the three packages above. I don't know yet whether my Surgery will provide the strips etc on prescription .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed type 2 nearly 2 years ago, I got off to a complete flier.
Switched to a LCHF diet, lost loads of weight, took plenty exercise and felt great......but now, I've fallen off the wagon and back to feeling feeling sluggish, mainly because I'm eating rubbish I shouldn't be touching.
I need a new BG monitor, my old one has given up the ghost, once I see those figures in black and white again, reality will kick in, so what kind of monitor (and strips) do you good people advise me to look at?
Thanks in advance

please don´t feel ashamed, think of yourself like you would judge another that has gotten this unwanted disease.. be kind to yourself and just get up again and get into focus... send you my love and a hug...:)

Reactions: dms1 and Prem51

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you guys, I'm really feeling those excess pounds!!
I had the Codefree before, but both stopped working after a few months, despite new batteries.
I'll have a wee look at the Tee2.
I've bought a new FitBit already, now self control where do I get that?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
From the shop where you get it off the Shelf Control, of course @MissPooh ;)

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Your path sounds very similar to mine :-( For me I think it was rebellion at the sheer hard work and unwavering focus it needs, then your bloods get high and you feel ****** and crave sugar and carbs, which makes you feel worse... and round you go.

Well done you for taking control back. You've done it once, you know what to do.
There should be no shame in type 2 diabetes. Read this: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/47101698.php
Good luck xx

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
@MissPooh I've been there, lost 2 stone in weight, then I fell over a low wall, hurt myself quite badly and then got depressed and it was a circle of eating bad things, feeling guilty and eating more bad things to make me feel better - it didn't! But now I'm back on the wagon and feel so much better. Getting back onto that wagon is do-able. Just put all of that guilty luggage behind you and start with an empty suitcase! I know that IF I was go ever eat a chocolate flake again, I'd fall off that wagon with a thud.
I've just ordered the TEE2 as backup for my SDCodefree, I'm never too sure if it reads right. Remember to put in the details on the TEE" site for VAT exemption (towards the end of the billing, on the right hand side).
Just stick in and you will feel better soon.