Constant cough

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have a constant cough that leaves you breathless type 1 diabetic

I'm Type 2, and before I was diagnosed I had a constant cough for about three months, its why I went to the doctor.

It disappeared once I had got my blood sugars under control.

Reactions: Freema

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have a constant cough that leaves you breathless type 1 diabetic

Yeah!! Had for about 3 years. Been to GP and been sent to hospital for all kinds of tests but everything came back 'normal'

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you taking an ACE inhibitor? After several years of taking one I developed a continuous cough, changing to an ARB cured the problem.

Last edited:

Yogamommy5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also had a constant cough which I thought was due to the flu but that didn't go away for weeks after. I just got diagnosed with type 2 a month ago and I was about to go back to the doctor's about this cough but it seems to have disappeared. I am getting my blood sugar under control by using a low-carb diet.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There is no way of knowing what these things are, you must make an appointment and see your GP to get the answer.

I had a cough like the one you describe and left it and it didnt work out well for me as I later suffered 3 bouts of respiratory failure and ended up in intensive care. I was finally diagnosed with broncheictasis and mild COPD .

So please go and see your GP and get it checked out, I wish I had done it sooner, then I could have avoided most of the problems I had.

Reactions: Yogamommy5

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
There was a 'cough' that lasted 3 months in Australia 3 years ago. Diabetics were advised to see their GP.

Reactions: Yogamommy5

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have one and its lasted for 2 months now, started mild and now cough about 10x a day, I think it's just the air quality in the home, and upon research believe it might just be walking pneumonia though haven't got an official diagnosis from the doctor who just dismisses it with "you're probably fine just get some fresh air", with other symptoms such as chest pain/tightness, joint pain. but not taking enough vitamins everyday is probably what causes it, just whether i can be bothered with it really