Sorry just a vent, it's been a while ;P

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I moved house 3/4 weeks ago, I missed my last prescription, 2/3 weeks ago, now my doctors have suspended my insulin until I get the test done again, then go in, usually a 2/3 week wait, despite the fact I had it done in December.... I got diagnosed a year ago Xmas eve, I've jumped the hoops and yet I have had issues with getting my insulin persistently all year, I got 2 without a hitch, even having to travel to the local hospital because my doctors were useless. Is it legal for Doctors surgeries to stop your insulin being a type one diabetic? It seems ludicrous if it is, and damning on my doctors if it isn't. I'm quite vexed tbh, I work 60/70 hour weeks, I'm a single parent and now I have diabetes, I have spent most waking hours away from my work sorting my daughters and my home, doing the majority of the work myself and hypoing like crazy in the attempt, I feel utter contempt for my doctors who seem a hinderance and I'm so frustrated. Yes I have a condition, I also have a life and responsibilities away from that, why is the NHS so pedantic/useless or is it just my waste of space docs?!

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I moved house 3/4 weeks ago, I missed my last prescription, 2/3 weeks ago, now my doctors have suspended my insulin until I get the test done again, then go in, usually a 2/3 week wait, despite the fact I had it done in December.... I got diagnosed a year ago Xmas eve, I've jumped the hoops and yet I have had issues with getting my insulin persistently all year, I got 2 without a hitch, even having to travel to the local hospital because my doctors were useless. Is it legal for Doctors surgeries to stop your insulin being a type one diabetic? It seems ludicrous if it is, and damning on my doctors if it isn't. I'm quite vexed tbh, I work 60/70 hour weeks, I'm a single parent and now I have diabetes, I have spent most waking hours away from my work sorting my daughters and my home, doing the majority of the work myself and hypoing like crazy in the attempt, I feel utter contempt for my doctors who seem a hinderance and I'm so frustrated. Yes I have a condition, I also have a life and responsibilities away from that, why is the NHS so pedantic/useless or is it just my waste of space docs?!
sorry thought I should add my last hba1c wasn't a good result, equated to 11 blood sugar average, I limit my insulin usage and eat "zero" carb as much as I can but I hypo a lot and drive long distance often I build up my sugars rather than test every 2 hours, sometimes I'm stuck in a service station car park that long!

Reactions: aj78

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it sounds as if your GPs are confused, and do not understand Type one, as you are recently diagnosed , and very recently moved (have you changed surgery?) Complain now by email to the practice manager, with the relevant information re your diagnosis, and copy in the hospital who diagnosed you, and your area CCG, also your MP, etc - 8.6%/70 HbA1c is not so bad, given you are at present under a lot of stress and newly diagnosed, but you need help to stabilise and iron out the highs and hypos, working safely towards lower numbers only when you have done this, too many, or any, hypos won't help at all, as there is a rebound effect, and also you will begin to find hypo symptoms lessen - something you dont want, esp as you are a driver and with family responsibilities. If you are with a hospital ask for an urgent appointment - if you are not, ask to be referred now, and explain your situation fully, as hypos may lead to your not being seen as fit to drive, so they are a priority now, this week - do not wait. Hope things sort out quickly

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
First - a hug.
Second - contact surgery and make clear you are a type 1 and need insulin.
Third - "driving, I build up sugars rather than test every 2hrs" this is illegal. Stop, test, carry on if ok. If not swallow jelly babies, test, carry on if at appropriate levelfouth - given your results it sounds like you need an increase in insulin ( when you get it!).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Dannyb87 How frustrating for you - firstly I agree with @ann34+ They may not realise you are insulin dependant and therefore this is why your insulin has been suspended, you can either complain the Practice Manager or speak to the surgery direct explaining your predicament, you need insulin to live, they need to be fully aware, this should help.

Please try also to test every 2 hours, this is a DVLA requirement for insulin dependant diabetics, it's also a safe guard for you to ensure you are not going low and can treat in time, set an alarm if necessary, but if you're pulled over or worse still have a hypo whilst driving and are involved in an accident then you will lose your licence, and from the sound of it I don't think you can afford to.

Feel free to vent your frustrations here, hope you get the insulin supply situation resolved soon :)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure that @tim2000s has posted a link to NICE guidelines in the past about GP's NOT being allowed to restrict access to insulin for T1's though can't find it right now.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17 covers diagnosis and management of T1 adults.

While I cannot find it they CANNOT restrict your access to insulin, as @Juicyj said before contact your practice manager and remind them you are T1 and they should not be restricting your insulin in any way.

If you still have a DSN at hospital then get onto them as well and have them contact your GP to educate them about their error.
Best of luck and always feel free to vent.

/A

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that the surgery must not restrict your insulin. Ensure that any meds you have on repeat prescription are within the next review date as all surgeries place review dates on meds to avoid waste. Ensure that you have had a diabetes review within the last year at a surgery or hospital. If that's all OK then the surgery must honour any prescription request. See the Practice Manager with any problems.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried ringing the surgery and explaning your situation? Taking your insulin away would be like taking air away from you. Please test as required by the dvla. Glucose test strips should not be restricted either.