My cholesterol results

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I ignore my results as my clinic will not do a lipid profile.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more I read about cholesterol the more I ignore the results as well...Just need to persuade my doc to send me for a CAC scan to see what my heart health is really like.. Private costs seem to be fairly outrageous..

Reactions: Freema

Robkww

Put my numbers in and all OK except HDL which is high risk but my HDL is "normal" - what am I missing?
Is it the fact that your ldl Is higher than your hdl which is the case with me hdl too low basically?

Don't understand this. My HDL is 1.04 and guidelines I have are 0.9-1.4. My LDL is 3.0 and guidelines I have are are <4.5. Perhaps the guidelines are "make it up as you go along" to suit your point of view! Me thinks we take statistics too seriously around the fringes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't understand this. My HDL is 1.04 and guidelines I have are 0.9-1.4. My LDL is 3.0 and guidelines I have are are <4.5. Perhaps the guidelines are "make it up as you go along" to suit your point of view! Me thinks we take statistics too seriously around the fringes?

I don't know where you get those guidelines from, unless they are different measurement units. In the UK we use mmol/l
In mmol/l they are
HDL 1.2 to 3.5
LDL 0 to 3
Trigs 0 to 1.7

Robkww

I don't know where you get those guidelines from, unless they are different measurement units. In the UK we use mmol/l
In mmol/l they are
HDL 1.2 to 3.5
LDL 0 to 3
Trigs 0 to 1.7

Straight from my lab test result sheet dated 12/01/17 - where do you get yours' from?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Straight from my lab test result sheet dated 12/01/17 - where do you get yours' from?

Straight from my lab test results sheet, and also from many articles on the internet.
Just one such site, from Boots.
http://www.webmd.boots.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-numbers

There are many of these if you have a Google, but make sure you are looking at UK sites.

You may see an occasional small difference, as diabetics are advised to have better than normal results due to higher risk of CVD.

Robkww

Straight from my lab test results sheet, and also from many articles on the internet.
Just one such site, from Boots.
http://www.webmd.boots.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-numbers

There are many of these if you have a Google, but make sure you are looking at UK sites.

You may see an occasional small difference, as diabetics are advised to have better than normal results due to higher risk of CVD.

I am in the heart of the UK and they are different everywhere you look and that is the problem - we cannot even be consistent with guidelines! The whole system needs a high degree of re-engineering.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the heart of the UK and they are different everywhere you look and that is the problem - we cannot even be consistent with guidelines! The whole system needs a high degree of re-engineering.

I don't see them different in the UK. I've never seen anyone saying as much on this forum, other than you. Sorry. :)

These are the guidelines for diabetics, as set down by NICE. for people with diabetes.

Blood fat (cholesterol) targets

People with diabetes should aim to meet the following blood lipid (cholesterol) targets: 
Total cholesterol: under 4.0 mmol/l 
LDL levels: below 2.0 mmol/l 
HDL levels: at least 1.0 mmol/l (men) or 1.2 mmol/l (women) 
Triglyceride levels: less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/l 
Total cholesterol / HDL ratio: less than 5

Reactions: Prem51

Robkww

I don't see them different in the UK. I've never seen anyone saying as much on this forum, other than you. Sorry. :)

These are the guidelines for diabetics, as set down by NICE. for people with diabetes.

Blood fat (cholesterol) targets

People with diabetes should aim to meet the following blood lipid (cholesterol) targets: 
Total cholesterol: under 4.0 mmol/l 
LDL levels: below 2.0 mmol/l 
HDL levels: at least 1.0 mmol/l (men) or 1.2 mmol/l (women) 
Triglyceride levels: less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/l 
Total cholesterol / HDL ratio: less than 5

Thanks for the information. I need to take up with my GP as to why the lab they use is not measuring against the NICE guidelines for diabetics - I am a diabetic. I see my GP shortly, would you be so kind as to post the link to the NICE guidelines for diabetics - thanks again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My nutritionist has said the cholesterol argument is controversial and said my numbers are fine. If it's too low it can cause other health issues too .

Reactions: Prem51

JRF

Saw DN today and she said my cholesterol was high (4.2) when diagnosed so she wants to put me on statins. Does anyone test their own cholesterol and if so what meter would you recommend. Without any further blood tests being done she has also increased the dose of my glucophage from 500mg to 1000mg. I said I would rather wait until my next bloods but she didn't agree. According to my codefree my average bs over the last 30 days is 6. She wasn't interested as she said they are not always accurate:( really confused, disheartened and not sure what to do for the best.
Jean

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw DN today and she said my cholesterol was high (4.2) when diagnosed so she wants to put me on statins. Does anyone test their own cholesterol and if so what meter would you recommend. Without any further blood tests being done she has also increased the dose of my glucophage from 500mg to 1000mg. I said I would rather wait until my next bloods but she didn't agree. According to my codefree my average bs over the last 30 days is 6. She wasn't interested as she said they are not always accurate:( really confused, disheartened and not sure what to do for the best.
Jean

Your DN is wrong, on many counts. Your cholesterol at 4.2 is low, especially for a woman. It is unfortunate that the NHS still follows the "we like diabetics to be under 4" rule. They are just figures plucked out of the air. What was your breakdown? (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides) ? Without that information you cannot make a decision on statins, and neither can she if she doesn't know them.

When were your last blood tests done and what was your HbA1c? I understand that medication shouldn't be increased without evidence it is necessary.

These NICE recommendations may help you https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

JRF

Your DN is wrong, on many counts. Your cholesterol at 4.2 is low, especially for a woman. It is unfortunate that the NHS still follows the "we like diabetics to be under 4" rule. They are just figures plucked out of the air. What was your breakdown? (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides) ? Without that information you cannot make a decision on statins, and neither can she if she doesn't know them.

When were your last blood tests done and what was your HbA1c? I understand that medication shouldn't be increased without evidence it is necessary.

These NICE recommendations may help you https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2
My hba1c was a high 106 at the end of January.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c was a high 106 at the end of January.

If your nurse is following the NICE pathway, you should have your next test at the end of April. The recommendations say every 3 months initially until medication and HbA1c are stable.

What about your cholesterol breakdown?