petition the Government “Continuous blood glucose monitoring for diabetics to be funded by NHS

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You are aware, I hope, @Goodlucktrev, that the government will point you at the previous response to a petition for CGM on the NHS, here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/151064 and https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107435 and always responds to these petitions in the same way, namely that the government does not decide on policy relating to use of CGM, NICE does.

Secondly, your petition is poor. It doesn't reference recent studies that demonstrate the benefits that clinical studies have shown (search for DIAMOND and GOLD studies), plus we also have data from those who pay for CGM telling us what they think (here).

Whilst I agree that I'd like CGM paid for by the NHS, I'd prefer that those who are not the noisy 5% on Social Media received education and training simply into how to use insulin more effectively and how to carb count. This would have a greater impact on complication levels. CGM is not a panacea. It requires almost as much training as DAFNE for the majority of T1s, especially in the realm of how to use it to live better. It is expensive and needs people to want to use it. Let's change that first, before we start trying to give it out to everyone.

So no. I won't sign the petition.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I agree that I'd like CGM paid for by the NHS, I'd prefer that those who are not the noisy 5% on Social Media received education and training simply into how to use insulin more effectively and how to carb count. This would have a greater impact on complication levels. CGM is not a panacea. It requires almost as much training as DAFNE for the majority of T1s, especially in the realm of how to use it to live better. It is expensive and needs people to want to use it. Let's change that first, before we start trying to give it out to everyone.

Wholeheartedly agree.....

Just think of the cost....;)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
You are aware, I hope, @Goodlucktrev, that the government will point you at the previous response to a petition for CGM on the NHS, here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/151064 and https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107435 and always responds to these petitions in the same way, namely that the government does not decide on policy relating to use of CGM, NICE does.

Secondly, your petition is poor. It doesn't reference recent studies that demonstrate the benefits that clinical studies have shown (search for DIAMOND and GOLD studies), plus we also have data from those who pay for CGM telling us what they think (here).

Perfect response here from Tim, well done that man

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
PetitionContinuous blood glucose monitoring for Type 1 diabetics to be funded by NHS
Insulin dependant diabetics have to fund their own continuos monitoring system.
It has been shown to improve HBA1c (blood sugars) dramatically and reduce diabetic side effects such as Amputation, Blindness and Kidney failure. It should be available to every one not just patients who can afford it!

More details
It will save money over current methods ie finger prick blood glucose monitoring and reduce diabetic side effects and therefore huge costs to the NHS..

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please support this petition at U.K. Government petitions ......the forum will not let me post the web link but you can look it up.....And Thanks

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I now have 52 who have signed and don't agree with your rather strange comments. Have you used CGM ? It would make a massive difference to a lot of diabetics life especially children as they will be aware of their BG's without having to pinprick stab themselves. You really haven't thought it through have you.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There would be massive savings from everyone using CGM including reduction in amputations, kidney disease, blindness etc and the saving on not buying blood test strips
And where is the money coming from to educate these children and their parents to use a CGM? Where's the trained staff coming from? The NHS is struggling as it is...
You know what? I think some people are greedy. We get SO much from the NHS as it is. Insulin, needles, test strips, lancets, glucose monitor, glucagon injections etc. I'd actually be ashamed to ask for anything else. I know for a fact, the tax I pay every month comes no where near the amount of money that is spent on mine and my daughter's medical supplies.
As I have said before this will save the NHS money so by not signing any petition you will be Increasing your debt to the NHS

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

AFoxy74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with mahola, I have used cgm on a trial basis and yes it made me more aware of what my bloods were doing! But to expect more from the NHS is impractical. I would agree to maybe getting the cost subsidised as a compromise but not the whole cost on top of everything else they do for us! Also remember that other countries don't have the luxury of free health care, if we put too much strain on the funds available we won't have it either!!

Goodlucktrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Didn't expect such a negative reply I must say

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
There would be massive savings from everyone using CGM including reduction in amputations, kidney disease, blindness etc and the saving on not buying blood test strips
I fear you are missing the point. I suspect the remarkable results you see from CGM users is based on the fact they have a vested interest in success, because they are, for the most part, footing the bill themselves. Unfortunately, due to human nature, if CGM were given free, I suspect the success rates would drop and the wastage would increase. If I had been given CGM for free as a teenager, I would never have benefitted anywhere near as much as I do today.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the key to success is being able to adjust your doses......

I feel a lot for folk like the libre...(not cgm I know)...Because it allows them to correct when high whenever they scan, but they should be focusing on getting the dose and timing right......At least at this stage when the costs of the technology are still quite high...

Learn to adjust doses properly first then if you want the convenience on no finger pricks.....Get cgm or libre....

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows

As I have said before this will save the NHS money so by not signing any petition you will be Increasing your debt to the NHS
1.how does CGM work for drivers?? The DVLA do not recognise cgm as a reliable method for checking before driving
2. CGM without education on what to do with the results is pointless. Education needs to start in the NHS with the staff first and then with the patients, that is not cheap and an already overstretched NHS can't warrant that
3. Lobbying the government to have a debate is pointless. It is NICE who make these decisions not politicians

Reactions: novorapidboi26