Type 2 How do you achieve low blood sugar levels?

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The answer is to test, test, test, and eat to your meter. Keep a food diary including portion sizes, record your levels alongside, watch the rises, look for patterns over a period of time.

You need to set your own targets, at a level you are happy with. I don't aim for 4s at all, although they are a nice bonus when they happen. I like 5s and 6s. I hate 7s. Once you reach your personal targets, lower them and see what happens.

It is unwise to compare your results to anyone else. Metabolisms are different, medications are different, degree of pancreas damage is different. Just set your own targets, test, record, analyse, tweak the food accordingly.

You don't need to go overboard with fats, just avoid anything low fat and eat real food. If you find yourself feeling hungry or fatigued, add a bit more fat for energy and fullness..

This is all such good advice. You have given me such hope .... I CAN achieve the same level of control as you and I will ...... though it will be so nice having all you guys to help when it gets hard ...... and it does sometimes! Very. Does it still get hard for you ... how do you cope?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The answer is to test, test, test, and eat to your meter. Keep a food diary including portion sizes, record your levels alongside, watch the rises, look for patterns over a period of time.

You need to set your own targets, at a level you are happy with. I don't aim for 4s at all, although they are a nice bonus when they happen. I like 5s and 6s. I hate 7s. Once you reach your personal targets, lower them and see what happens.

It is unwise to compare your results to anyone else. Metabolisms are different, medications are different, degree of pancreas damage is different. Just set your own targets, test, record, analyse, tweak the food accordingly.

You don't need to go overboard with fats, just avoid anything low fat and eat real food. If you find yourself feeling hungry or fatigued, add a bit more fat for energy and fullness..

I just love your motto - I think I am going to print it out and stick it on my fridge!

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome. T2 Diabetics tend to always have a higher blood sugar level even when controlled then non-diabetics so achieving a BS of 4 when T2 is very difficult and unnecessary unless on a tablet such as Gliclazide. Anything less than 8.5 2 hours after a meal is fine. A meter is essential so ignore the GP on that point. Your dietician is wrong as many of them are. These people assume that the fat you eat is what is deposited in the arteries whereas it's the fat that the liver produces that is deposited and that is inly loosely related to the fat you eat and in fact the carbs you eat can be worse. An HBa1C of 7.5% (3 month average) could be better and your diet should gradually help. You need to target below 6.5%. If necessary your GP can prescribe Metformin which helps a bit and many of us have.
Thank you for all this info .... that is most helpful. The doctor told me to aim for under 53 which I suspected was way too high because it is so far above normal levels, and I can see from your answer that it is. I got 46 (7.5) after three months but I obviously need to keep working to get this down even more. Now I have a goal of being in the 30's ! Thanks Again.

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use lard, goose fat, and groundnut oil, I eat low carb as described by Dr Atkins and just this week was told that my second full bloodtest would not label me as diabetic, my cholesterol has gone down, my blood glucose - although out of normal range is way down to what it was, triglycerides are just in range - they were really rather peeved that I made such a change in 80 days - I think they weren't happy when I told them my blood pressure was lower than the 'ideal' level to aim for just written up on the flip chart.
If my diet is so dreadful, why are all the numbers either in the right range or heading towards it?
If I'd stuck to eating low carb I'd probably never have been diagnosed.
WOW! I think my doctor would have a heart attack on the spot! LOL! it obviously works for you though which is so much better than the progressive illness I was told it would be.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the diet advice given by many doctors does not work for people with type 2 diabetes. There is an inherent fear of fat in the medical profession. It turns out there is no link between eating fat and heart disease. Eating fat is beneficial to health. It does not raise blood sugar and can help you lose weight.

Eating carbs does raise blood sugar and causes inflammation which is the cause of heart disease and many cancers. Eating too little fat also makes you depressed and have poor concentration.

The Low Carb High Fat diet seems to be very effective for Type 2 diabetes. It lowers blood sugars and helps reduce weight too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all such good advice. You have given me such hope .... I CAN achieve the same level of control as you and I will ...... though it will be so nice having all you guys to help when it gets hard ...... and it does sometimes! Very. Does it still get hard for you ... how do you cope?

I don't find eating low carb and high fat hard at all. I find my food very enjoyable because I like fat! I love my fry ups in particular, and butter on veggies is great! I can now eat a fry up without feeling guilty that it is a heart attack on a plate, and there is nothing like the taste of real butter. If you concentrate on what you can eat rather than what you can't eat, it will get much easier. :)

Topher36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating keto... I went from 24.7 Feburary 12 2017 to 4.3 today.. last two weeks my average is 5.6
Feb 12 was also the day I was diagnosed with T2

Reactions: rom35