Type 2 Wobbly and low BG levels

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Hi everyone, apologies if this isn't in the right place. Started the very low carb 2 week programme on Sunday and was going fine until today. Had my usual morning cuppa then breakfast of 2 slices of bacon and one egg. Went to work and had usual 2 cups of coffee. About 1.30 just before I had lunch I had a really horrible dizzy spell so I bought a sandwich and bag of crisps. I dont take my meter to work so I don't what my levels were. Got home and tested 2 hours later I was only 5.3 (usually after that food I would be about 12-15). 1 hour later felt odd again so tested and down to 3.8. Not sure what's going on, can anyone help me out please? My bloods have been great all week but this has frightened me a bit. Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: Emily95

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@welsheagle A few thoughts:
You've only been doing very low carb for five days - your body is having to learn to deal with some big changes, so perhaps it isn't too strange that you have felt a bit odd today. It's nearly four years since I went low carb and I do recall the odd funny sensation.
You won't go hypo without insulin or insulin inducing medication, so you don't need to fear falling into a coma, your own body will produce the necessary glucose to prevent this.
A blood sugar level of 3.8 is not that unusual pre-dinner/end of the working day. It's the time when many people's levels are lowest.
Perhaps you are starting to get lower sugar levels than your body is used to. Once you get used to lower levels, you won't notice them, they will be the new normal.
Dizziness can be caused by things other than diabetes/low sugar levels.
My advice: keep going, keep recording your sugar levels, keep notes or a diary. That way you will work out if it is just a period of change or if you have something odd going on.
Hope this is of some help,
Sally

Reactions: welsheagle

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
@welsheagle A few thoughts:
You've only been doing very low carb for five days - your body is having to learn to deal with some big changes, so perhaps it isn't too strange that you have felt a bit odd today. It's nearly four years since I went low carb and I do recall the odd funny sensation.
You won't go hypo without insulin or insulin inducing medication, so you don't need to fear falling into a coma, your own body will produce the necessary glucose to prevent this.
A blood sugar level of 3.8 is not that unusual pre-dinner/end of the working day. It's the time when many people's levels are lowest.
Perhaps you are starting to get lower sugar levels than your body is used to. Once you get used to lower levels, you won't notice them, they will be the new normal.
Dizziness can be caused by things other than diabetes/low sugar levels.
My advice: keep going, keep recording your sugar levels, keep notes or a diary. That way you will work out if it is just a period of change or if you have something odd going on.
Hope this is of some help,
Sally
Thank you Sally that is really helpful and reassuring. I will do as you say and make notes, probably also take my meter to work with me next week to keep an eye on my bloods during the day. I don't think I've even lost any weight, but maybe I'm expecting too much, too soon!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is of any help @welsheagle the lowest I have ever gone is 3.8. I am on metformin, which makes next to no difference. I used to get such a low number quite often in the early days of switching to LC. Now I can only induce it by walking for 1½ to 2 hours. Shortly after my liver deals with the matter by secreting glucose into my bloodstream, which I understand is what it is supposed to do - so that bit of me works :D

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I've been diabetic for over 9 years now and tried to control with medication (as advised by NHS) regularly ran quite high bs levels. When I first went lchf felt really wobbly and 'not right' if levels fell to the 4s. Body must have got so used to being high. Now feel fine with lower levels. Good luck.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @walnut_face, how does going that low make you feel?
In the early days a bit shivery and sweaty at the same time, with a pain across my shoulders. Now - nothing, nadda.
I think my system had adjusted to running permanently Hyper (FBG of 16.5 on diagnosis) so was a bit of a shock to it when I denied it carbs, and BS had to fall, perhaps too rapidly looking back

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@welsheagle - I regularly have low numbers, and sometimes quite a bit lower than you have experienced, with no ill-effects.

I started to see those sort of numbers a couple of months, post-diagnosis, as I started to get to grips with my way of eating.

I've never felt unwell at those levels, and never having taken any medication I have no fear of anything sinister happening, to me. My body looks after me. Since then, I have gone quite a bit lower too, although I have usually been about to eat, and when very low, as well as being about to eat, I have usually been very hungry, so I just crack on and enjoy my meal even more than usual.

If I feel that ravenously hungry way, but dinner isn't about to appear on a plate, I would have a cup of tea, just with some milk, to just tide me over.

Not everyone sees those numbers, and some folks do feel a bit odd/off if when they are low, so everyone has to really judge it for themselves.

If, however, you are concerned about it, it would be worthwhile just seeking the reassurance of your nurse/Doc or whomever helps you with your diabetes. If you feel unwell when low, then do have something to eat or drink, but I would discourage you from reaching directly for the biccies or sweets and that can lead to a bit of a yo-yo reaction, with a higher than desired rise, then a rebound down.

For those taking string glucose lowering medication would want to act differently.

Hopefully, you're going to have a decent outcome from your efforts.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Hi everyone, apologies if this isn't in the right place. Started the very low carb 2 week programme on Sunday and was going fine until today. Had my usual morning cuppa then breakfast of 2 slices of bacon and one egg. Went to work and had usual 2 cups of coffee. About 1.30 just before I had lunch I had a really horrible dizzy spell so I bought a sandwich and bag of crisps. I dont take my meter to work so I don't what my levels were. Got home and tested 2 hours later I was only 5.3 (usually after that food I would be about 12-15). 1 hour later felt odd again so tested and down to 3.8. Not sure what's going on, can anyone help me out please? My bloods have been great all week but this has frightened me a bit. Sorry for the long post.
Just a thought.. I had a couple of odd moments prior to lunch especially if it's getting too far past 12pm.. I'm not on a low carb diet (lower than it once was though) I'd have porridge for breakfast and find I'm getting shaky and weak around 11-12noon.
My DSN suggested that this could be the result of a sudden drop of glucose levels.. even though still at a safe reading, the body does not like a rapid drop and will panic, making us feel unwell.
Wish you well @welsheagle

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Just a thought.. I had a couple of odd moments prior to lunch especially if it's getting too far past 12pm.. I'm not on a low carb diet (lower than it once was though) I'd have porridge for breakfast and find I'm getting shaky and weak around 11-12noon.
My DSN suggested that this could be the result of a sudden drop of glucose levels.. even though still at a safe reading, the body does not like a rapid drop and will panic, making us feel unwell.
Wish you well @welsheagle
Thank you @KezG

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
I've been diabetic for over 9 years now and tried to control with medication (as advised by NHS) regularly ran quite high bs levels. When I first went lchf felt really wobbly and 'not right' if levels fell to the 4s. Body must have got so used to being high. Now feel fine with lower levels. Good luck.
Thanks @Concordjan

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shortly after starting low carb I too had a couple of shaky moments. I checked my BG and it was still relatively high, but way lower than it had been in the days before I started. I think its known as a false Hypo though that might be something else. A couple of months on I'm not seeing it and am usually in the 5s to 7s depending on when I read and what I've been doing.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@welsheagle, as other have said your body needs to get used to new low levels.

The trick is not to over feed a low with a high carb meal or you willl get a spikes and drops and continue to feel yuk for longer.

That is easier said than done, especially at work without a meter. You must have been concerned.

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
@welsheagle, as other have said your body needs to get used to new low levels.

The trick is not to over feed a low with a high carb meal or you willl get a spikes and drops and continue to feel yuk for longer.

That is easier said than done, especially at work without a meter. You must have been concerned.
It happened again yesterday, I'm seeing my Doctor on Wednesday so I'll mention it. Thanks everyone for your input x

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
@welsheagle were you able to test yesterday to see if you were very low?
No I couldn't but I upped the carbs over the next few days and I have been feeling a bit better. The doctor didn't think that 3.8 was low enough to make me feel the way I did and maybe it was to do with anxiety which I do suffer with. I tend to talk quickly and forget to breathe, was probably running out of oxygen!