Low carb food ideas

srm100841

I know that there's a general Food Forum on the board, but wondered if there could be a similar one just for low carb people.

I find that my diet is in some respects quite limited. Frankly I don't like cold food. At present I do eat cold meat, leaves etc for lunch but given choice I wouldn't. My breakfast almost every day comprises bacon, eggs and 1/4 apple. This i find alright but a bit boring. Lunch is often cold meat plus leaves or occasionally a beefburger or a warm boiled smoked sausage. However I don't particularly like having a fried breakfast and then a fried lunch.

I really miss the odd quickee like beans on toast, tomatoes or mushrooms and toast, the odd pie or pasty, pizza, tins of soup etc.

Do any of you have any good recipes for quick, warm lunches as well as some variety for warm breakfasts?

Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There is also this link to a great Low Carb Recipe site. It is American but the recipes can be adapted to suit:

http://www.lowcarb-recipes.net/

Contains Recipes to all these
Appetizer
Soup
Salad
Main Dish
First Course
Beverage
Dessert
Breakfast
Holiday
Beef
Chicken
Fish, Seafood
Pasta
Pizza
Pork
Vegetable Dish
Vegetarian

Ken

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
There is also this site, which is UK-based http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-506/low-carb-recipes.aspx, but I think you are after quick meals which don't require a recipe and I know what you mean!
I always seem to fall back on eggs - omelettes, poached eggs with cheese/spinach etc but that is no use if you are eating eggs for breakfast too.

srm100841

Thanks to all who replied. I've seen a few bits of interest via the links suggested. Still fancy some cheese on toast though!!

Steve

betic

cheese on toast...yep...i struggled with breakfast as i am hungry first thing in the morning as i do gym quite late the nights before...i buy bread from the lowcarb store, buy six or more loaves at a time if you can as postage is about 6 quid...i then freeze it in sarnie bags with two pieces in each and toast in the morning for cheese on toast , egg, mushroom , beefburgers, peanut butter,...hungry yet???? lol...certainly helps me to get through the low carb maze...and helps me with that satisfying breakfast i so need first thing and keeps me going untill i can manage another prper meal later in the day without being tempted...good luck :idea:

srm100841

Low carb bread? What is this and how is it made? I've got the cheese, now all I need is the bread so where does it come from please?

Steve

JennyD

Dislikes
Being diabetic
Being overweight
noisy neighbours
Me too - I would like to try low carb bread.

Can anybody tell us where they get low carb bread please?

:)

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I have never found a commercially made bread that is low enough in carbs to work on me. A flaxseed and nut loaf is perfect but I have sort of moved on from bread or forget that I have a sliced loaf in the freezer these days!
Grilled cheese for me are chunks of lightly pan fried haloumi cheese, eaten in salads or just as a snack on it's own. Also there is the 'plastic' type of cheese that comes in slices of processed stuff. Place a slice on a sheet of baking paper and pop in the microwave for about 45 secs and you get a square of cheese that puffs up then as it cools down becomes a slightly crisp 'biscuit' of cheese.
Then for a crunch biscuit, crisp bread or whatever there is a flaxmeal concoction that is so crunchy and a wonderful base to top with very few carbs. It is simply a mix of flaxseed meal and water to a dough consistency. Pressed or rolled out on parchment paper, then microwaved. The size you make it is up to you. The flavours you add (or not) like parmesan, garlic, onion or herbs are up to you.
This is my discovery of the month.

sigull

HI All
These work for me:----

Drinks: Holsten Pils bottled lager (Low Carbs & sugar But 5% :D
Bread: Burgen bread from Tesco (soya & Linseed) I stick to one slice a day.
Spud substitute: Cauliflower Mash (Microwave for 15 minutes in covered dish & a little water, then blitz it with a little soya soft spread) (use it as a pie covering (fish is good), sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese bake for 20 mins. - nice. As a special treat , (little amounts, not too often; Tesco's "Franks diabetec ice cream. Almost complete stop on cakes,sweets & biscuits. Got my biggest spike (11.2) from porridge.

Diagnosed in Oct 2009 type 2 (BG 6.9), 69 years old male 6' 1"
Just reached the 2 stone lost mark (Now 14 ½ stone, BMI down from 32 to 27 HgA1c in feb 5.8%. chol 3.2 , still on diet & exercise. Following on from what I read, cut my 20mg statins in ½ with a pill splitter next HGa1c in two weeks..fingers X'd

Best wishes Tony

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use a 53 ml scoop which came with a tin of soya protein.

1 scoop ground almonds
1 scoop oat bran
1 scoop wheat germ
1 scoop soya flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp spice (cinnamon/coriander/mixed spice to taste
That's about 20 g carb.

mix well - sieve if you wish

add
2 eggs
1 scoop oil (olive or rapeseed, or melted butter or coconut oil)
1 scoop tomato juice (or water)

mix well & pour into a microwave proof jug or pudding basin lightly buttered (I use a jug as I can then get nice round slices)

m-wave for 3 minutes
(I've got an old m-wave - 2 minutes may be enough in yours, or reduce power )
check it's firm - give an extra 1/2 min if there is any liquid - & tip out onto a wire rack to cool.

The yield is about 250 g of a spongy 'bread' with total carb 20 g. I have 1 slice with a meal, & it lasts 1½ to 2 days. It toasts OK, though isn't crisp. I layer it with cheese & m-wave for 1 min for cheese on toast.

Add sweetener & sultanas soaked in orange juice (instead of tomato juice) & you have low carb cake (50 g carb in 350 g)

adm

I'm finding that stoneground wholemeal rye bread is pretty good - I can get away with one or two pieces of this toasted and buttered without taking my BG above 7.5 2 hours after.

So scrambled eggs on toast is on the menu again....Yay!

More generally - puy lentils and the green/yellow Umbrian lentils both seems to not spike my blood sugar much at all. Lots of salads of course - and Paul Newman's Italian dressing has no sugar and tastes great. Veggie soups, cold meats and cheese, lots of grilled fish, etc...

Franky69uk

You might like to try the "Village bakery Premium Seeded Batch" if you have an Aldi near you. I use it quite a lot i.e maybe a sandwich of two slices for lunch and it does not reall effect my BG. It has Pumkin Seeds, Linseeds, millet and Poppy seeds among the ingredients. its a really nice bread and a lot cheaper then Burgen at 99p a loaf . Worth a try but as always the effect of food on your BG is such a personal thing.
Frank

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Great selection of bread products here.
avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/BREAD.html
I get the proto toast which is crispy but quite tasty and good for spreads. I put low fat cheese and chopped up tomato on mine or a spicy aubergine pate which I make. I also love their Lavlash Bread which makes a good wrap but as you will see they also have pittas and tortillas. I've also used some of their bread mixes - it's different but when you want a bit bread.........
I've bought quite a lot from this supplier. They are quick and they really keep you informed. I also had a minor problem with one of my orders and it was resolved within the hour.
Also under the sweet snacks there are Sensables finger cakes. The double choc chip is rather nice :D

adm

Now that I have been low carbing for about two months, I've found that my tolerance to "good" carbs seems to have increased. Maybe my pancreas is getting a bit better or something....

Anyway - I had a nice big soft seeded batch roll for lunch today with turkey breast and chipotle mayo (plus a side salad and a nice glass of white wine) - pre meal BG was 5.6, 2 hours later it was 5.9. All good.

I have to say that it's very nice to be able to begin to have the occasional sandwich or something a bit carby every now and again - like a spoonful of ice cream after dinner - without having BG spikes of 15 or so..... I'll never go back to routinely eating this kind of stuff, and I can say for sure that my low carb regime is definitely helping not just my general BG readings, but also my general fitness too. I've lost almost 2 stone since first being diagnosed as T2 in April and am now exercising most days (swimming & cycling) and feel better than I have done in years. Of course, having a coronary angioplasty duing this time period may have also helped kick me in the a**e about diet and fitness, but either way, I feel great and my BG is now typically low fives to low sixes :D

Even a beer or two is now not giving me any spikes.....so a post lawnmowing pint or two is now a do-able thing too!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
adm said:
Anyway - I had a nice big soft seeded batch roll for lunch today with turkey breast and chipotle mayo (plus a side salad and a nice glass of white wine) - pre meal BG was 5.6, 2 hours later it was 5.9. All good.

That all sounds great.......however I don't want to burst your bubble but.....

I think I might have done a 3 and possibly a 4 hr test as the meal would have probably been quite high in carbs........mayonaise would have had fat in it and would have possibly helped to slow down the absorption, along with the White Wine. You might have found that the Bg levels were on the way up...... :( Not so straightforward sometimes....... :|

Ken

adm

Welll.....

I didn't do a 3 hour test, but 4 hours coincided almost exactly with my pre-dinner test, which was 5.4... so that sounds OK to me!

And the 2 hour after dinner test was another 5.9 - Roast gammon, peas, fried egg and a few glasses of red wine. Even a small spoonful of "rocky road" ice cream to chase the kids off to bed with!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Maybe so or maybe not......I only know from my own experiences with similar foods that my Bg levels were lowish at 2 hrs, up at 3 hrs and then started to drop down at the 4 hr point. Hence I steer clear of them now. Way too many carbs for me. Still we are all different and you might just be one of the lucky ones. :) Keep testing !

Ken

adm

Yeah.....maybe next time I'l do the 3 hour test just to see.....but I think it's unlikely my BG spiked from 5.6 to anything over 7 or 8 and then back down to 5.4 in an hour. It seems more likely that it was on a slow and steady ramp down. Actually - come to think of it, I also had a pint of Weiss beer (gorgeous home made Weiss beer too) in the intervening period. And a five mile bike ride with the dog...so it's actually a more complex scenario than at first thought...

Too many carbs for me too really, as I've only been eating about 20-40g of carbs a day for the last couple of months. Still - nice to have a sarnie for the first time in ages.