Veggies and hunger

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I adore my veggies but seems they make me hungry, mainly salad greens. May be not high enough purine? Do veggies make you hungry?
I eat very few with bf an dluch and do great. Dinner I eat more and am always searching for fat Nuts, avocado etc. I'm a girl!! I should do well with rabbit food. Lol. I love Salads but hate how hungry I get after

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that if I haven't eaten enough during the day I get very hungry in the evening and also the reverse, if I have had a larger than normal meal for lunch I don't get hungry in the evening.
As to vegetables I have never heard of them making you hungry. Maybe it's a question of what other stuff you eat as veggies aren't really enough to keep your energy levels up or filling you up properly. My advice is to eat if you are hungry and stop when you are full. Broccoli mash made from boiled broccoli and lots butter is a favourite of mine but you need to squash a lot of water of them before mashing or you'll end up with broccoli soup.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have avocado and some protein with all meals. If I add salad I get hungry. If I eat steamed heartier veggies not as much. Maybe salads are just too light. It was dressed with just olive oil which acts like water to me as far as satiety. Maybe I need a thicker mayo based dressing. Carbs of any kind just never work. I need my avocado or I'm ravenous.

Last night I had salad with my avocado and fish and I kept going back for something fatty. Had more avocado and some nuts.

It's always a puzzle...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi :)

It sounds like you just aren't eating enough. If more fats aren't satisfying you and you say that carbs never work then perhaps more protein might help?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

It sounds like you just aren't eating enough. If more fats aren't satisfying you and you say that carbs never work then perhaps more protein might help?
It's the addition of ca bs to a meal. If I just eat avocado and protein I'm fine.
I don't eat large portions of anything by any means but they're nutrient dense meal. I've never needed a lot of calories. Maybe I just didn't have enough avocado. That is my magic ticket to satisfaction. It just seems I get hungry with salads and less so with hardier veg like beans, asp, mushrooms

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you body is asking for a bit extra at the moment. It may be the weather, or you may be fighting off an infection, or tiredness, or more activity?

Maybe you need to tweak your ratios for a bit. I am slowly learning to distinguish between carb/bg 'cravings' and honest-to-goodness requests by my body for certain nutrients. But I am a slow work in progress. ;)

I can understand how adding carbs will increase hunger (although I am surprised that salad and veg do this for you), but my answer would be to either increase to fat and protein a smidge, to compensate, or to add another meal or snack during the day, to increase the intake of fat and protein.

I appreciate that you have a personal situation where you restrict saturated fat.
Is it just animal fats, or do you feel the same about coconut oil?
There have been a few occasions where I have found that topping the meal off with coconut yoghurt ticks all sorts of boxes. Especially with a square of 70% choc and a raspberry on top. :D

Another option would be a Kristin friendly version of my coffeesubstitute and cream drink. I use this as a meal replacement sometimes. Of course I use roasted chicory and double (heavy) cream, but you could go real coffee and coconut oil, or cocoa powder and almond oil. The addition of peppermint, or caramel, or orange essences can make it into a real treat, without adding carbs.

I forget whether you are OK with nuts, but that is another way to tweak the ratios.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks B!

Coconut anything gives me hives and makes me want to vomit so I think I'll say no to that.

Nuts are fine, all kinds. Love them.

Never too much avocado. I think perhaps that was part of it. I didn't eat enough of it. I didn't want to bust a new one open until the morning but I did anyway.

My insulin needs have gone again but that particular night bs went up higher than usual. Must keep the fat higher. No problem there. My favorite foods are avocado, nuts and mayo. I had fish with just a drizzle of oil so probably just not enough fat. As you know protein raises me quite a bit.

Your coffee sounds great and I could use Kerry gold butter. Not sure I want to that AND eat bf and I'd miss my avocado!! I'm so OCD about that stupid thing. However in my defense I was starving silly for 50 years until I found the magic in it. It is MY perfect fuel. Never really hungry but love to eat.

In the past I have found large meals and salads to make me feel a little unbalanced and hungry. It was a larger meal so back to my small ones and rich in delicious fat!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very rarely hungry, but on the odd occasion I am and food is a long time off, a decaf coffee with double cream just hits the spot. It stops the hunger and is a go-to comfort food for me.

Reactions: Chook

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very rarely hungry, but on the odd occasion I am and food is a long time off, a decaf coffee with double cream just hits the spot. It stops the hunger and is a go-to comfort food for me.
I would LOVE that coffee but lactose intolerant. I can eat a small amount of cheese occasionally but no cream, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt etc. boo.

That being said I had the same meal last night but subbed Brussels sprouts for salad. Not only did bs stay same same rather than going up 30 but not hungry after. There is some odd ball thing with me and lettuce!! I have written all over my journals no salad, just wraps. If only I didn't love salads!!!

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would LOVE that coffee but lactose intolerant. I can eat a small amount of cheese occasionally but no cream, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt etc. boo.

That being said I had the same meal last night but subbed Brussels sprouts for salad. Not only did bs stay same same rather than going up 30 but not hungry after. There is some odd ball thing with me and lettuce!! I have written all over my journals no salad, just wraps. If only I didn't love salads!!!

We've spoken before and you know I'm not diabetic but, from a purely dietary pov, are you a little bored with your usual intake? Brussels, cabbage, courgettes, a tiny bit of marrow or cauli may switch it up a little. Like me, you're very much a creature of habit but I do occasionally crave something different. A different protein, for instance. Weirdly, I sometimes crave a very high protein sausage or rasher of bacon.

D

debrasue

I get hungry when I eat salads, too, but for me I think it's something to do with hot vs cold food. It's almost certainly entirely psychological with me, because if I've eaten a salad my body seems to think it's been short-changed out of a hot meal! I can get around this by eating a small bowl of home-cooked vegetable soup either before or after the salad, often with a dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt or mayo in it.

D

debrasue

Have you tried Arla lactofree cream? It's delicious in coffee...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We've spoken before and you know I'm not diabetic but, from a purely dietary pov, are you a little bored with your usual intake? Brussels, cabbage, courgettes, a tiny bit of marrow or cauli may switch it up a little. Like me, you're very much a creature of habit but I do occasionally crave something different. A different protein, for instance. Weirdly, I sometimes crave a very high protein sausage or rasher of bacon.
I have about a dozen different proteins on hand at all times. Tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, cod, tilapia, shrimp, chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and a few odds and ends. Loads of variety.
Veggies on hand are lettuce! Brussels sprouts, bok choy, celery, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms. I tend to make a medley to steam as broccoli, cauliflower and green beans always spike me. So anfew timy pieces of those with bok or asp keep things lower.
Then I have loads of herbs and infused oils as well as mayo and avocado. I make sauces/ dressing that is mayo based like adding hot sauce, horseradish or mustard.
I have loads of variety but I do eat the exact same measured and weighed bf. Lunch and dinner are same macros at each but different protein and veg. All weighed and measured haha.
I don't get what it is with lettuce!! Unless it just makes the whole meal too big.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get hungry when I eat salads, too, but for me I think it's something to do with hot vs cold food. It's almost certainly entirely psychological with me, because if I've eaten a salad my body seems to think it's been short-changed out of a hot meal! I can get around this by eating a small bowl of home-cooked vegetable soup either before or after the salad, often with a dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt or mayo in it.
Funny you say that as it is cold here and I do crave hot food. I did take my hot fish and put it on top of the lettuce as well as some hot veggies and mixed it all up. It needed up warm rather than hot. Haha.
There's just something about it. Maybe I just digest it too fast and need the higher purine veggies, especially in cold weather.

The problem lies here....my hubby EVERY NIGHT makes a HUGE salad and I need to keep my mits out of it!! It just tastes so good. Cold crunchy romaine with garlic oil and sea salt. I tend to snack on it while I'm cooking/ making my own dinner. He generally has a can of tuna or salmon with mayo next to his huge salad and I make some steamed veg and pass him some and steal some salad. I need to NOT put it on my plate as well. it's a really bad habit now and hard to break

We don't have that cream but I'm sure I could find some lacto free or just use Kerry gold butter. I'm usually not hungry but that night I was starving after! I haven't noticed too much lettuce does that. BUT I LOVE IT LOL

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am afraid I love more substantial veggies. I usually eat cauli and broccoli etc as I absolutely hate lettuce and I am afraid I must be in the minority as I cannot stand avocado. I would love to like it but tried on a lot of occasions but just not for me.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Have you tried lactose free cream by Arla..available in Sansbury's... other supermarkets are available! They do a cheddar cheese and lacto free milk, I think they may also do a yoghurt but to traditional standards ie low fat and high sugar content!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid I love more substantial veggies. I usually eat cauli and broccoli etc as I absolutely hate lettuce and I am afraid I must be in the minority as I cannot stand avocado. I would love to like it but tried on a lot of occasions but just not for me.

No, you aren't alone. I also hate avocado and I only eat lettuce if someone else has put it on my plate and covered it with mayo.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you aren't alone. I also hate avocado and I only eat lettuce if someone else has put it on my plate and covered it with mayo.
Lol. Mayo is great on anything!!!!!
Have you tried lactose free cream by Arla..available in Sansbury's... other supermarkets are available! They do a cheddar cheese and lacto free milk, I think they may also do a yoghurt but to traditional standards ie low fat and high sugar content!

I'm in the US. No sansbury but from what I read on here it sounds awesome.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Lol. Mayo is great on anything!!!!!

I'm in the US. No sansbury but from what I read on here it sounds awesome.
I too hate avocado... horrid slimy stuff.... but I wish I didn't!!

I am sure you can find a similar product in the States... but if not.. I will find out from Arla if anything is available in US

Here you go... www.arlausa.com

D

debrasue

Funny you say that as it is cold here and I do crave hot food. I did take my hot fish and put it on top of the lettuce as well as some hot veggies and mixed it all up. It needed up warm rather than hot. Haha.
There's just something about it. Maybe I just digest it too fast and need the higher purine veggies, especially in cold weather.

The problem lies here....my hubby EVERY NIGHT makes a HUGE salad and I need to keep my mits out of it!! It just tastes so good. Cold crunchy romaine with garlic oil and sea salt. I tend to snack on it while I'm cooking/ making my own dinner. He generally has a can of tuna or salmon with mayo next to his huge salad and I make some steamed veg and pass him some and steal some salad. I need to NOT put it on my plate as well. it's a really bad habit now and hard to break

We don't have that cream but I'm sure I could find some lacto free or just use Kerry gold butter. I'm usually not hungry but that night I was starving after! I haven't noticed too much lettuce does that. BUT I LOVE IT LOL
I feel for you, hun - I really do. I never met a salad I didn't like! :wideyed: