Low carb for one year

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you can go 20g or under although this is a strictly personal choice. I average between 20-35g a day - loads of veggies included like broccoli, peppers, shallots and cauliflower.
yes but that can be dangerous to a type 1 diabetic ... there are great differences between the main two types of diabetes..

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Dude how does this low carb diet plan work and suggestions for ppl like me who are suffering from past 7 years
Hi @subu94, I am by no means an expert, so here's my understanding, the main theme running through your eating patterns would be to remove bad and fast acting carbohydrates. Strict adherence means that in general potatoes, pasta, rice, cakes, crackers, sweets, sodas, bread, crisps, biscuits and high fructose fruits are removed from your diet. At first this seems very restrictive (but consider that a lot of these are "man made" and highly processed), but there are plenty of options within the LCHF regime. By removing the carbs which ultimately behave like sugar within your body, less insulin is required to deal with meals, which in turn will assist lower blood sugar readings and either a stabilisation of body fat and a reduction in weight, as insulin response will divert excessive carbohydrate into fat cells.

Some foods that are on the list are low sugar carbs such as above ground vegetables (leeks, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, greens, spinach, salads, etc (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb)). Meat, fish, nuts, seeds, berries, full fat yogurt, bacon, eggs, sausages are other choices.

LCHF is not no carbs, it is just good carbs. The fat is good fats such as butter, olive / coconut oil, oily fish, oils from eating berries. I find this lifestyle sustainable long term, effectively just replacing obvious carbs with more vegetables and deserts with cheese, nuts and berries.

As you are type 1 please ensure you search test, test and test as your medications would definitely require adjustments.

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Total respect to those of you on low carb diets, I'm afraid I like to many higher carb foods and enjoy my eating to much to go that way but keep it up if works for you, I wish I had your will power.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Total respect to those of you on low carb diets, I'm afraid I like to many higher carb foods and enjoy my eating to much to go that way but keep it up if works for you, I wish I had your will power.

Not diabetic so speaking from a purely dietary pov and as someone who's lost 5 stone (32kg) since May - it really doesn't take too much willpower as the higher fat and protein mean little, if any, hunger. It's kind of a relief after 50 years of low calorie dieting and almost constant hunger. :joyful: