carbs in a korma ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

So last night I had a lamb korma. Only meat and a little sauce . No naan or anything and my bs went up and this morning it's still raised at 8.6 . Do dissapointed it's not been that high fasting since I started my low carb diet. I thought the sauce would be just spices and cream or something

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and palm sugar (if it's made with top notch ingredients) or just plain table sugar. Best to make your own

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that korma is one of the sweeter sauces.. so would take a guess that it has quite a bit of sugar.
I usually go for a dry tikka then add some yoghurt at home to make a sauce for it.. maybe mix in some veg.. our local does a spinach and minced lamb dish that I get as well beef it up with yoghurt and mix it all together.. yummy and no spike.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Assuming this was a restaurant meal Im not sure why that would have happened, Ive just looked at about 6 recipes on line for Korma's and non had any ingredients in that would have had that effect except one that had called for 1 tbsp of sugar.
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-3111/chicken-korma-recipes.aspx?page=2

I guess it depends on the restaurant where you ate it as different chefs especially from different regions of Asia will have different ways of cooking.

All you can do in future is ask the waiter if a certain dish has any sugars or carbs of significance, I have always found Indian food to be extremely good for a night out as long as you dont eat too much rice, personally as long as its Basmati rice which it generally is in Indian cooking I can eat a couple of desert spoonfuls without repercussions. I cant eat as I used to and cover the entire plate with 1" of rice and then put the curry on top though ;)

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hiya, a 450g portion of korma has 21g of carbs plus more difficult to digest due to fat content in it twin h would account for your BG still being raised this morning. Hope this might help.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya, a 450g portion of korma has 21g of carbs plus more difficult to digest due to fat content in it twin h would account for your BG still being raised this morning. Hope this might help.
Ooh I see. I did just have the meat and the sauce that was on it not all the sauce as they do give too much sauce I think

Reactions: Soplewis12