Type 1 diabetes and contraception

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have been since the 29th November 2011 and I'm turning 17 this year. I've had an on off relationship with this guy for a year now and we want to take it to the next level, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what contraception would be best, as I don't have great control of my diabetes. All answers/ responds will be greatly appreciated

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi @shann
I've used the contraceptive pill and have also had the implant. I found the implant was easier after having my daughter as I didn't need to worry about remembering to take it daily. There's also the option of using condoms - some people find the hormones in certain contraceptives don't agree with them, causing mood swings etc. You could always speak to your GP or nurse at your doctors surgery if there's any queries you have :)
Good luck with your control too, the forum is a great place for advice and different things you can try to help you get more in range BG levels

Reactions: shann

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shann
I've used the contraceptive pill and have also had the implant. I found the implant was easier after having my daughter as I didn't need to worry about remembering to take it daily. There's also the option of using condoms - some people find the hormones in certain contraceptives don't agree with them, causing mood swings etc. You could always speak to your GP or nurse at your doctors surgery if there's any queries you have :)
Good luck with your control too, the forum is a great place for advice and different things you can try to help you get more in range BG levels

Okay, thank you kim :)

gillianoleary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baby corns. Wrong, wrong, wrong in so many ways!!
I've tried the pill, mini pill and implant. The only one that I really got on with was the pill.
No great effect on BG's or anything and no smalls so I guess it worked well!! Ask your Endo, GP or DSN if you have any concerns and for the best option to suit your needs.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shann one thing that I don't know if it has been discussed with you, but in terms of pills vs implant, one thing they do say is that if you have the implant, they won't then take it out for at least six months, so if you haven't had hormones before and don't know how you're going to get on with them, might be worth trying a few months on the pill first. There are several 'types', so hopefully there will be one that works for you, as for instance, I can't have the combined pill, because I get migraines with aura. Definitely one to discuss with your GP/practice nurse.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Condoms are the only contraceptive that will protect you against both pregnancy and std. If you haven't both had a clear std test and confirmed you aren't sleeping with anyone else you should be using condoms.

Condoms are easily available, easy to use, and won't have any impact on your blood sugar.

If you want to consider a "back up" contraception you could speak to your doctor about the pill or implant. Hormonal contraception may impact on insulin requirements.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have the implant. But that possibly indicates a long term solution. Condoms might be a good starting point if all is on again off again and you don't want the added hormones.
Just make sure you are ready for it and want this as much as he does. X

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all, you've all helped with the advice X

Agraham1826

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have been since the 29th November 2011 and I'm turning 17 this year. I've had an on off relationship with this guy for a year now and we want to take it to the next level, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what contraception would be best, as I don't have great control of my diabetes. All answers/ responds will be greatly appreciated
Not to be disrespectful to anyone else here or yourself, but this can not be answered by anyone but your own body. We all have different hormone levels and reactions to contraceptives. I have been on 4 different ones I don't trust coils/implants if you have a bad reaction to a pill you just do not take it the next day. When we are already prone to infection why would you want some foreign body implanted inside you or under your skin? I lived with 4 other girls and we were all on different pills. Also yes you can forget to take your pill, but depending on which one, for example mine if you miss one it basically means i am not protected for 2 days and if i want to have sex ill use other protection. go to your GP and discuss it with them you may hit on first time or may need another go. Ive had problems with my periods so I doubt it would take 4 tries for you. Hope this helps :)

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I'm also 17. I went on the implant around July last year. I thought it was the best option because it's hard enough doing your insulin and tests without having to remember to take the pill as well! You do have to remember that like insulin the implant/pill is also a hormone. My levels have always been a little out of control and I am unsure whether the implant had made it worse. Doctors will say that it does not make a difference but every one is different. Maybe start on the pill because you can come off this if you feel your levels change. Whereas the implant they will tell you to keep in for 6 months. Personally I would recommend using a condom as well because the diabetes does effect the effectiveness of the contraceptive. Hope this is helpful x

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said, the hormones in the different pills and implants can affect us all differently so don't be surprised if the first thing you try isn't right for you. Unfortunately for us we also have the extra consideration of the hormones potentially changing insulin requirements so whatever you try be sure to do some extra tests and keep an eye on things until you get used to it.

Personally, I prefer not to have the extra hormones and I use an IUD (or coil as they're often known) that doesn't involve any (there are types that have hormones as well though).

If you have a sexual health clinic nearby then I'd suggest going there rather than your GP as they often have more time and information to go through the options with you and help you make an informed choice.

Hope you find something that works well for you

Reactions: sandra curtis