pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
Hi all

Since getting my pump last June I've had a couple of canula change fails. Anyone who read my recent post about Medtronic will know that I started CGM this week.

Anyway, thought I'd share this canula fail picture from my CGM as I'm surprised at how obvious it is.

It really drives home to me how important testing for a good four hours after changeover is for me.

1488749564424.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @pwzero I'm also on the medtronic - what infusion sets are you on ?

I tend to pick up really quickly if a set has failed, since i've been using the sure t's i've not had any issues except sites and lumps, my sets are robust and easy to change, but if i've developed a lump it goes sore and my BG will rise very steadily so not so easy to spot. I was on the mio's and had 2-3 set change issues on these, so would be interested to know more about your sets :)

Reactions: pwzero

pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the Mio sets. I was considering changing to steel because I think I'm having a bit of a reaction but couldn't work out how easy they were to insert.

pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
One set change and a few bolus later.....
1488752829971.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
One set change and a few bolus later.....View attachment 22124

That's good to see it coming down. I would recommend the sure-t, they are very easy to insert you simply pinch the skin and insert the steel tip, it's that easy and if you're having issues with reactions then it's definately time to change, this was the very reason I changed from mios, because of an allergic reaction. Ask your team they may have a few spare sets they can give you to try, you will need approval before switching over so they can help you transition, keep in touch, let me know how you get on :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are you changing your set before a meal bolus and also remembering to fill your cannula after insertion? Many find they also get better results with leaving the old cannula in for a couple of hours as well. I also wonder about your sets as animas users have the same set and I know it does cause a few problems with bent cannulas.

pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
I definitely fill the cannula after insertion. The default setting is fill so i'd have to choose not to.

I had a bent cannula a couple of months ago. The insertion is quite fiddly with these sets. I don't know why they don't keep the tubing separate to attach after insertion. You have to detach it anyway for changeover and it's the tubing that makes the insertion fiddly.

I haven't been aiming to change before a meal bolus. I suppose that makes some sense although I think I'm more likely to spot a problem if high before a meal. I don't often test two hours after eating as I'm fairly confident in my carb counting.

I think I'll talk to the nurse about trying the sure-t and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the replies. It really is nice to receive suggestions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As the Mios are plastic they can quite easily bend, I ended up wasting a few of these too as they'd bent when i'd inserted, I never felt confident wearing them, despite following the correct procedure when inserting them, in contrast the Sure T's are great for giving you assurance that they are inserted correctly. The issue is that by the time you know your set has failed is that it then takes half a day to get your levels back down into range again, and when you've done a set change early evening for me that means I have to stay awake at night until I feel comfortable that i have corrected my levels enough to get some sleep and wake at a reasonable BG level :banghead:

I think all new Medtronic pump users are given the Mios now, however it would be useful if people were given different sets to try to see which suited them better.

Good luck @pwzero hope you get something sorted soon.