My new toy - aka the Ketonix "breathalyzer"

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Robbity

Just found this via Google.
One thing is confusing me though; breathing out for 15 seconds.
A quick check shows that a normal breath in or out for me is about 3-4 seconds so a single breath out of 15 seconds would be a challenge.
Do you just breathe normally but in through your nose and out through your mouth for 15 seconds?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. The Ketonix instructions advise this longer breathing out time for it to work properly: breathe in as normal and out for the 15 seconds. If you take a deep breath then you are likely to by exhaling "fresh air", and you want the original stale(r) air from the bottom of your lungs, which obviously takes longer to breathe out. I certainly find that sometimes I can get an orange or red reading very quickly, other times it stays at blue or green (mine's the original "traffic lights" one) until I've done at least 15 secs. It does get easier with practice, though sometimes I get a bit of a coughing fit and have to start all over again....:wideyed::p

Robbity

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best and more consistent readings are obtained if you partially breath out before blowing into the ketonix and try to empty your lungs completely. It doesn't really matter if it was only 10 seconds of breath. The output of the ketonix is a very small hole in the side so there is a lot of resistance and you would not be able to blow through it at at your normal breathing speed.

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
However I've just checked the price and it is £175 on Amazon.

Brexit exchange rate strikes again.:(

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However I've just checked the price and it is £175 on Amazon.

Brexit exchange rate strikes again.:(
Which is at least double the original price from when I got mine three years ago, but it's also been "improved" since then too.

Robbity

PS It may be worth looking at that price though in comparison with the cost of buying the same number of ketone strips as you do tests with the Ketonix: it ought to work out cheaper on the long run... which is how I justified my now bargain puchase price!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried a comparison between a ketone finger prick test and the Ketonix?

It looks a very nifty piece of kit, and a very handy tool for those who are looking to permanently remain in a state of dietary ketosis.

The issue with the Ketone finger prick test strips is obviously their expense. Although I appreciate the need for them (even though I've probably only tested for ketones half a dozen times since diagnosis) - they cost far too much. What we see with ketone test strips is the manufacturers targeting the market of intermittent use from T1D's; "they won't need them as much as BG test strips, so we can charge more because they'll last longer..."

As a result, the Ketonix seems like an excellent resource for those who are testing for dietary ketosis (regularly) - both T1 and T2, rather than the T1's testing for ketones on the odd occasion to detect DKA.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was jealous way back when you started this thread @Robbity
Now I am even more so, wot with the price hike...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone tried a comparison between a ketone finger prick test and the Ketonix?

It looks a very nifty piece of kit, and a very handy tool for those who are looking to permanently remain in a state of dietary ketosis.

The issue with the Ketone finger prick test strips is obviously their expense. Although I appreciate the need for them (even though I've probably only tested for ketones half a dozen times since diagnosis) - they cost far too much. What we see with ketone test strips is the manufacturers targeting the market of intermittent use from T1D's; "they won't need them as much as BG test strips, so we can charge more because they'll last longer..."

As a result, the Ketonix seems like an excellent resource for those who are testing for dietary ketosis (regularly) - both T1 and T2, rather than the T1's testing for ketones on the odd occasion to detect DKA.

I think that the three methods, blood, urine and breath, all measure different chemicals and so are not directly comparable.

I have only used one ketostix so far because I am pretty sure that I am in dietary ketosis but just wanted to confirm that I was kicking out some ketones.

I think that blood and breath are better long term tests because once your body adapts your kidneys may stop throwing away ketones because they are being used for energy.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes a few non diabetics - body builders and athletes I think did some comparisons early on. There didn't seem to be a lot of correlation (see BJJCaveman's tests here and his link to another set here which I believe I also saw elswhere?) , and I certainly found this to generally be the case when I did some check after I treated myself to some strips when I got my Libre reader and sensor. But we're measuring different chemicals.

My results:
Ketone strip Ketonox
1.1 red
0.6 green
1.1 red
0.8 red
0.4 green
0.6 red
0.4 green
0.3 red
0.3 yellow
0.7 red
0.4 red
0.7 red
0.9 yellow
1.4 red
1.2 yellow
0.6 red
0.6 red

Robbity

And PS @LittleGreyCat - I definitely found that once I was burning ketones nicely, they stopped showing up in my urine (Ketostix). I was puzzled until I did some Googling and found out why! Which is why I eventually got the Ketonix.

Reactions: LucySW