Management Apps

bexr247

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was just wondering what apps people recommend for recording their blood glucose levels and how they can help with diabetes management? :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bexr247 :)

I use pen and paper because I like to scribble notes over things, draw arrows, circles, etc I think whatever you use, it should be something that you personally find easy and attractive to use.

If you're looking to improve your management, then recognising problem areas is sensible, and some apps can help you do that by highlighting lows and highs.

Basic things like a basal test and ensuring your meal time insulin to carbs ratios are right are also crucial.

Is there anything in particular that you're looking to sort out?

Reactions: therower
D

Deleted member 308541

I use Diabetic Journal from the Google Play Store.

It does all I want, and has a export feature so I can either print out the log or send it to my GP by email.

It's well worth the $2.00 to get rid of the adverts.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pen and paper all the way for me. I'm useless with technology being the reason. Tried logging everything into an app thingy once but found it a waste of half hour everyday. Just an old guy so ignore me and I hope @bexr247 you manage to find an app that works for you.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a notebook (as the dietician likes to see it on paper) but I've found the diabetes:m app very useful especially the graph and pie chart function. I use an android phone and it works well for me.

Reactions: azure

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only been recording stuff for a couple of weeks but like MySugr - you can try it for free - extra features if you want to upgradr

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Google Keep and OneDrop - find them handy to use on the go. Pen and paper is something else to carry about and I fill in my paper diaries once a day.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm using onedrop, too. Its a bit slow at times, but otherwise easy to use.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a notebook (as the dietician likes to see it on paper)
My former GP always wanted paper log books and she gave me quite a collection over period of time.

I still gave her my pdf file printouts of two pages on one sheet of A4 paper, the paper logbooks I used to give to the receptionist to put back in stock on my way out of the practise

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The contour next one meter has a great android app and the meter sends the meter readings to the app by bluetooth for the truly lazy like me. You can add meal markers, photo's of food ,exercise and meds taken.

Hotpepper20000

I use the MySugr app it's free but you can pay for upgrades. It gives you a estimated HBA1C. So far it's been within .1 of my lab blood work so pretty accurate.
I also like that it emails me a progress report every Monday.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use and wrote the app linked in my signature. It captures and graphs (and trends) BG (estimates hba1c), blood pressure, weight, %weightloss, carb in, insulin and IOB (gives an estimate of IOB in real time

Reactions: Fola220_

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excel...not really an app as such but I can record all my food and numbers here.

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After many years of paper and excel I finally found the RapidCalc (App) written by a diabetic. I wouldn't be without it.

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using MySugr fro the last couple of months since I started on insulin. find it really helpful, as it calculated my insulin dose for me when I enter my carbs

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used an Excel app that I have put together. I have found phone apps to cumbersome. I can add all my readings in one place rather than paging through an app. I tried several apps from the Apple Store but couldn't get on with any of them.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a notebook. I've tried a few apps and while they were good I found it frustrating if there was an issue opening the app etc.

Jake2701

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
I wrote for my wife program in Microsoft Access, where she recorded her glucose data, instead of pen and paper diary. It was creating charts, finding trends, and so on. Then she went to diabetic educator who was explaining about carbohydrates counting. That give me idea of adding foods database and insulin calculator to her program. Then she got herself Freestyle Libre glucose meter. It has build-in carbo calculator, but you have to find out how many carbos you gonna eat. Beside that, it can record almost continuous sugar levels, as well as carbos and insulin doses - manually entered. It can than create beautiful reports, with charts and everything else. So I abandoned my program and build carbo and insulin calculator, with self-created database of ready and prepared foods. It serves my wife very well. But what about eating out? Somebody suggested to make smartphone app. After bit of struggle with Android software secrets, I've managed to make one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mine.mydiabeticcalculator. But lots of people use iOS, Apple based gizmos, so next step will be to learn bit of iOS programming, and do it for Apple.