Type 1 Diabetic Burnout?

DiabeticPanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 10 years ago and I’ve never really denied it or resented it, I kind of just accepted it and got on with things. I’ve always tried hard to keep my sugars under control and since going on the DAFNE course and starting on a pump last year I was starting to feel really optimistic.

Unfortunately for the past few weeks I’ve been really struggling both physically and emotionally, it all came to a head a few weeks ago when I got engaged. I was obviously so happy & we started thinking about the wedding but then what should be one of the happiest times in our lives turned into a panic attack ... I mean he’s not just marrying me but he’s also agreeing to life with diabetes. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone and I started to panic that he’ll realise it’s too much and change his mind. I’d like to point out that he hasn’t and we’re still very happily engaged, I just feel like I’m caught in a down spiral. I feel fed up at work & at home, I’m short tempered with everyone & generally not a very nice person to be around right now. Having a severe hypo out of the blue right before bed last night hasn’t help, I feel like I’m at the end of my rope and not sure what to do.

From what I’ve read burnout if fairly common when someone has been diagnosed for a substantial amount of time but has anyone experienced this personally? Any tips on how to help myself out of it? I just can’t seem to find the light at the end of the tunnel :(

Thanks for reading x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @DiabeticPanda ,

Yes, burnout is common, I sometimes feel like I'm experiencing it every day but I keep on testing and injecting because it's better than the consequences of not doing it. So for me it's a very pragmatic view.

Unless you've enjoyed some form of whirlwind romance then your BF is presumably well aware of the diabetes thing and he loves you for who you are, not what you are. So I know it's easier to say, than do, but try not to let the diabetes control your life, you're the one making the decisions.

And let's face it, nobody knows what's around the corner, so look at what you have right now for inspiration and don't worry about all of lifes possibilities. It may turn out the way you imagine it to be in your dreams, it may not, we all have to deal with things as they happen, whether you're diabetic or not.

C'est la vie!

Congrats on the engagement.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-burnout.74048/

Last edited by a moderator:

Claire23280

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Putting on weight
Hi, I've been diabetic for 42 years and have experienced what you call burn out quite a few times. Diabetics have a tendency to suffer from depression, I wouldn't say I've been clinically depressed but I do experience low moods. To help me deal with these I use alternative therapies.. YouTube ( EFT) Emotional Freedom Techniques.
I also go for massages and Reiki ..
Congrats re engagement.
Remember it's your thoughts which control your feelings.
Try and think positively , it works..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 10 years ago and I’ve never really denied it or resented it, I kind of just accepted it and got on with things. I’ve always tried hard to keep my sugars under control and since going on the DAFNE course and starting on a pump last year I was starting to feel really optimistic.

Unfortunately for the past few weeks I’ve been really struggling both physically and emotionally, it all came to a head a few weeks ago when I got engaged. I was obviously so happy & we started thinking about the wedding but then what should be one of the happiest times in our lives turned into a panic attack ... I mean he’s not just marrying me but he’s also agreeing to life with diabetes. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone and I started to panic that he’ll realise it’s too much and change his mind. I’d like to point out that he hasn’t and we’re still very happily engaged, I just feel like I’m caught in a down spiral. I feel fed up at work & at home, I’m short tempered with everyone & generally not a very nice person to be around right now. Having a severe hypo out of the blue right before bed last night hasn’t help, I feel like I’m at the end of my rope and not sure what to do.

From what I’ve read burnout if fairly common when someone has been diagnosed for a substantial amount of time but has anyone experienced this personally? Any tips on how to help myself out of it? I just can’t seem to find the light at the end of the tunnel :(

Thanks for reading x

Aaww bless you, I too have recently got engaged on Boxing day(I'm quite a few years older than you though) :rolleyes: and a long time diabetic. My partner is wonderful with my diabetes and very caring and wants to know all about it, it's me he loves and what ever medical conditions I have, it doesn't matter as it's a small part of who I am.
Burnout is common, but your partner sounds a wonderful, caring person who loves you very much. Try not to let diabetes burden or overwhelm you, a wonderful chapter in your life is happening, so try to embrace it with your lovely partner x

DiabeticPanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Robiredbreast and congrats!! We both sound like very lucky ladies :)

I'm happy to report that things have improved (despite having to start taking a low dose of anti-depressants) my mood has gotten much better, we've bought a house which will be completed in June and set a date for the wedding (August 2018).

Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments ... this is a pretty awesome community :happy:

sd29

Firstly, how lovely things are picking up! I'm so happy for you!

They say a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step and along the way we find twists and turns. We falter, we feel like giving in or giving up, but ultimately, we keep on going.

Depression is cruel. It lies. It will whisper in your ear and colour the whole world black. BUT...

Have you ever stopped to think of how amazing you are? That someone loves you? That by voicing your fears you're inspiring others to do the same? How brave you are for admitting your fears? How you've not only taken those first steps but you're well on the road to getting where you want and deserve to be?

Others may have to deal with our diabetes, but do we balk at supporting our loved ones with their needs? Would you not be able to live or want a diabetic? I think I can guarantee that you'd cross oceans to support someone you love, and you deserve the same.

I thought it was too late for me. Unfortunately, I have severe peripheral neuropathy, stage 4 CKD, autonomic neuropathies and general pain in the **** syndrome! Also suffering with depression and anxiety, everything was compounded by severe anorexia.

My type 1 was diagnosed at 29, I'm 35 now. I am still trying every day, and knowing others like you, keep fighting too, helps. I like to think if you can, I can. My life is different, but it's no bad thing - There's a life outside of the needles if you want it.

Think of reasons to stay alive, and reasons to enjoy life again. Diabetes is part of you, but it doesn't define you. There is a big difference between just living and feeling alive and when depression and anxiety take hold, we can make our worlds very small. Don't push people away, asking for help or voicing how you feel can bring you closer as it can explain the grumps, and offer you the reassurances you need. Although hard, talk to your healthcare team regularly about how you feel - please dig deep and face it, don't be an ostrich,

Take a deep breath and take it minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day, but most of all remember, you have a choice - give up, stay miserably the same or keep trying for the awesome life that is just around the corner waiting for you.