Hello all, jumping into the confusion

Axemanrj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So I went to my doctor to get anti-depressants and ended up with news that my blood sugar, cholesterol and white blood cell count were all too high. I've seen the diabetic nurse although I haven't an official diagnosis yet. I now have to wait 3 months to do another blood test before that can happen apparently . He did give me a rather scary diet sheet that basically said I could eat very little apart from perhaps the diet sheet itself. Then he gave me another pamphlet that was very contradictory to the diet sheet. I have a couple of friends who have diabetes who have calmed my fears and put me on track. What I'm most grateful for is having a reason for my tiredness, thirst etc. I'm a fan of forums so this place is great for me. I have no idea about measurements or what mine are but I expect I will find out next time I see the doctor, and if I don't I'm sure I will be able to ask the right questions after reading all the posts here.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
So I went to my doctor to get anti-depressants and ended up with news that my blood sugar, cholesterol and white blood cell count were all too high. I've seen the diabetic nurse although I haven't an official diagnosis yet. I now have to wait 3 months to do another blood test before that can happen apparently . He did give me a rather scary diet sheet that basically said I could eat very little apart from perhaps the diet sheet itself. Then he gave me another pamphlet that was very contradictory to the diet sheet. I have a couple of friends who have diabetes who have calmed my fears and put me on track. What I'm most grateful for is having a reason for my tiredness, thirst etc. I'm a fan of forums so this place is great for me. I have no idea about measurements or what mine are but I expect I will find out next time I see the doctor, and if I don't I'm sure I will be able to ask the right questions after reading all the posts here.
Welcome to the forum! It's hard to offer comments or advice without knowing what your blood test results were and you ought to be able to ask for a copy of these from your Doc. Three months seems a ridiculous time to have to wait, given that you've already seen the diabetic nurse.
I'm not surprised you've been given two different diet sheets as the NHS isn't very well clued up to recent research into diabetic diet. I abandoned the NHS/NICE Eatwell advice about 6 months ago in favour of a LCHF diet and it made a remarkable difference to my blood glucose readings.
It's good you've found your way here as you'll get loads of advice and support.

Dave

Reactions: AM1874 and Prem51

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Axemanrj and welcome.
Don't worry, there are loads of lovely things you can eat without resorting to nibbling that diet sheet ;)
Have a read through the forums and a good look at daisy1's welcome post when it arrives.
Any questions just ask away. I've learned far more on here than I ever did from the NHS

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Welcome to the forum. :)

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi Axe, welcome to this forum! You can get a lot of info about Diabetes with all the different forums available for you to read, digest and respond to. I too, have been diagnosed with depression and have been Type 2 since 2000. Don't worry too much about that dreaded diet sheet, reduce your carb intake (that's the foods that will increase your blood sugar) and be wary of doctors trying to shove cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) down your throat. These drugs will most likely cause your depression to get worse! Anyway, you are among friends when you log on to this site and learn from those who have "been there and done that";)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Axemanrj .. and welcome
You have already had an introduction to the wealth of info, advice and support that you will get from the folks on this forum. So, ask your questions and your confusion will soon be behind you ...