ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have mentioned before that I have bipolar.
Psych is aware of this, he was the one that wrote to my gp re getting tested for diabetes.
The antipsycotic I am on is known for raising blood levels so it's a testing game to see what's happening.
I was on 50mg but as I was having problems with my bipolar, my psych put the med up to 75mg in January. He was reluctant to raise it because of the side effect. It's also been noted that some people on this antipsycotic have gone on to develop type2.
The dose I am on is still classed as being fairly low but it is helping with the bipolar. Also as my psych said, many patients on it can take upto 600mgs but in his words, was that some older psych up the med too high in his opinion just to keep the patient quiet.
I be honest, I Don, t want to go too high a dose because I know with bipolar, that I will get manic and have mania. So Don, t want to be over medicated just to keep me quiet.
The problem I have at the moment is that since the increase, my blood levels have risen, not vastly high but enough to worry me. I spoke to my gp on Monday of last week and explained what is happening. He has made a note to have an appointment sent to me for end of April for a habc1 blood test. That will be 3 months from when the antipsycotic was increased. That way it will show anything.
The thing with me at the moment, is I think sod the diabetes, then I think sod the bipolar. I just Don, t know what to do.
In saying that, my gp did say, if before I have the next test, if my levels go exceedingly high then to see him.
I also mentioned to my gp that the fingers on my left hand are numb and have been for a couple of weeks. I do know with numb toes and feet then to get checked out.
Gp did say he is not overly concerned about my fingers but if they stay numb after another couple of weeks or the numbness spreads, then to see him
To be honest, I just Don, t know what to do

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Psych is aware of this, he was the one that wrote to my gp re getting tested for diabetes.
The antipsycotic I am on is known for raising blood levels so it's a testing game to see what's happening.
I was on 50mg but as I was having problems with my bipolar, my psych put the med up to 75mg in January. He was reluctant to raise it because of the side effect. It's also been noted that some people on this antipsycotic have gone on to develop type2.
The dose I am on is still classed as being fairly low but it is helping with the bipolar. Also as my psych said, many patients on it can take upto 600mgs but in his words, was that some older psych up the med too high in his opinion just to keep the patient quiet.
I be honest, I Don, t want to go too high a dose because I know with bipolar, that I will get manic and have mania. So Don, t want to be over medicated just to keep me quiet.
The problem I have at the moment is that since the increase, my blood levels have risen, not vastly high but enough to worry me. I spoke to my gp on Monday of last week and explained what is happening. He has made a note to have an appointment sent to me for end of April for a habc1 blood test. That will be 3 months from when the antipsycotic was increased. That way it will show anything.
The thing with me at the moment, is I think sod the diabetes, then I think sod the bipolar. I just Don, t know what to do.
In saying that, my gp did say, if before I have the next test, if my levels go exceedingly high then to see him.
I also mentioned to my gp that the fingers on my left hand are numb and have been for a couple of weeks. I do know with numb toes and feet then to get checked out.
Gp did say he is not overly concerned about my fingers but if they stay numb after another couple of weeks or the numbness spreads, then to see him

Ally, as I was reading the fasting levels thread, I had noticed your numbers creeping up a little bit.

I don't have any experience of any of the medications you take so can't offer any insight or wisdom there, but I think I might just suggest trying to be as good as you can each day as it arrives.

It sounds like you have your team a bit more on your side these days, and if it means your meds for either condition, need to go up a bit, in order to keep a bit of balance, then so be it.

Keep fighting Ally. You do very well with the cards you've been dealt.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just stay in touch on here....we're thinking of you, so don't feel alone. Agree with AndBreathe, you're doing good so just keep on....

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm a bit of a conundrum @ally1 Its a shame because you have worked very hard on your bloods, and when I first joined this site I was inspired by your progress. I hope you find the renewed strength to continue your battle, on both fronts. It might be worth telling your GP that his/her lack of concern is an issue, because it is a concern for you. Perhaps you could ask for a referral?

Reactions: ally1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Very tough Ally as its trying to keep balanced on so tablets and chemicals that can so affect us all so differently.
You are definitely an inspiration for many of us as we have seen your struggles and ups and downs on trying to manage and I admire you for your perserverance..

Just wish I had some advice to offer you!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess the NO-carb diet is too extreme for you Ally, otherwise that would maybe be the only way to not have raised blood glucose... and even then there is the protein-tranformation.. it is so hard to both fight mental health problems and also diabetes on top of that..... you have my sympathy...it must be really hard for you.. but could you maybe go NO-carb for only half of the days a week... or low calories as well that would maybe lower the overall number.. just a suggestion... I guess you have thought all possibillities through..
but unfortunately antipsychotic medications seem to raise blood glucose even more in diabetics.

rodlus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm bipolar type 2 as well. I'm on 200mg of antipshycotic drugs my bg control was 86mmol this last test. Mood plays havoc with testing I wonder if anyone has any tips

Reactions: Freema and ally1

rodlus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm bipolar type 2 as well. I'm on 200mg of antipshycotic drugs my bg control was 86mmol this last test. Mood plays havoc with testing I wonder if anyone has any tips
Went to dB consultant who isn't going to do anymore till bipolar stable

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, Ally, not sure if this is helpful, but i was reading up on hypothyroid issues the other day and noticed that many people with bipolar are also found to have thyroid autoantibodies. It seems that levothyroxine treatment is now being tried in some people with bipolar who have thyroid autoantibodies, and that in some people it is helpful, I have not read your previous threads, so do not know whether your doctors have looked into these issues?

Reactions: Freema and ally1

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read Levo is bad and NDT is the much better route. More natural. A diabetic friend switched from Levo which caused her loads of problems to NDT and made a remarkable recovery in a short time

I hope you feel better ally!! Tough figuring it all out !!

kimlily29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really admire you. I have a dear friend who is.bi polar and has diabetes type two. I think as others have said one day at a time and be as good as you can food wise

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And as good to yourself. Go easy on yourself Alley. Some things we just have no co troll over. Don't beat yourself up. Do the best you can and pat yourself on the back. Move forward. The past is the past. We can only do so much...